By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The OFFICIAL WiiFit 1st week sale thread (Japan)

MontanaHatchet said:
No, I don't get what game he's referring to. Unless, of course, he's referring to the general cliche that runs through the genre.

Also, you have to remember that this is a thread for JAPAN. And comparing Guitar Hero to WiiFit is a bit odd. The targeted demographics are very different.

Unless I'm mistaken, by "that WiiFit will fail horribly because Brain Training was $30 and portable" you meant that people would be reluctant to buy into an unconventional game because it was somewhat more expensive than a conventional game (and much more expensive than Brain Training). Guitar Hero is an example of a game which was both unconventional and more expensive yet sold remarkably well.

Now the question is whether Wii fit can follow the success of Guitar Hero (in North America) when it is released in Japan.

What we know about the Wii is that it is one of the fastest selling consoles in the History of Japan, it is being used by most members of a family where it is owned, and the #1 game for the Wii in Japan is Wii Sports (a very unconventional game).

Now, my belief is that Wii Fit (like Brain Training before it) will not have much in the way of front loaded sales because the people who are most likely to buy it are not conventional gamers. Some people will rush out and buy it and after their impressions are given to their friends (or their friends try it themselves) sales will spread. Wii Fit could easily sit at 10,000 to 20,000 units sold per week for years, eventually becomming one of the best selling games of the generation.

Your only argument is that Wii Fit is being released to a home console (which happens to be far more popular than the DS was when Brain Training was released) at a price somewhat higher than most games ... Personally, I don't think you've thought this through

Around the Network

I don't have the energy to read through your paragraphs, summarize them in a couple sentences each. I'm just lazy.

Hey Montana, I have given up caring what other people play or don't play (mostly). I figure even if Mario Galaxy "only" sells 1 or 2 million then that is still enough copies to encourage them to make a sequel.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Mario Galaxy is going to sell 6 million easily.

And they'll definitely make a sequel. Can't have Pokemon taking the Franchise crown.

MontanaHatchet said:
I don't have the energy to read through your paragraphs, summarize them in a couple sentences each. I'm just lazy.

Wow, that's amazingly disrespectful ...

With mods like this, who needs trolls?

Around the Network

How is that disrespectful? I had a long day with classes, the last thing I want to do is come up with 5 posts chained together, several paragraphs each, that make it nearly impossible for anyone else to enter the discussion.

Also, nice jab at my moderating position. That's kind of disrespect in itself. 

I think that lowballing this title as a response to lackluster SMG sales is a mistake. One thing can be said for certain since the debacle that was SMG's first week sales: We don't know Japan. They are a quirky people with some eccentric tastes (This really isn't meant to be insulting). They don't like the 360 mostly because it's violent and hardcore. They've lost interest in Zelda. But they love training their brains and cooking their mamas. And they love walking their nintendogs and actually PAYING for Wii Sports.

They Will Love WiiFit.

I'm going to say 250,000 First Day.
485,000: First Week.
Wii Sales...110,000.

I'm only posting numbers because that's what you're supposed to do in this thread. I'm pretty bad at the whole prediction thing.

MontanaHatchet said:

How is that disrespectful? I had a long day with classes, the last thing I want to do is come up with 5 posts chained together, several paragraphs each, that make it nearly impossible for anyone else to enter the discussion.

It’s disrespectful because this is a web forum which is a type of discussion, which (for the most part) is supposed to be respectful and we have moderators to enforce that.

You demonstrated some confusion about my point and I clarified it for you in a reasonably short post (275 words, about 30 seconds reading for a sixth grader). You didn’t read that post (which is somewhat acceptable as far as web forums go because, after all, we can’t be online all the time) and then proceeded to write a post telling me to shorten my explanation (which is not acceptable).

If you don’t want to read a post (plausibly because you realize you’re wrong) don’t read it; don’t expect someone to rephrase it because you’re “Lazy”.

BTW, the mod comment was meant to annoy you because (as a mod) you should be setting a higher standard.

HappySqurriel said:
MontanaHatchet said:

It’s disrespectful because this is a web forum which is a type of discussion, which (for the most part) is supposed to be respectful and we have moderators to enforce that.

You demonstrated some confusion about my point and I clarified it for you in a reasonably short post (275 words, about 30 seconds reading for a sixth grader). You didn’t read that post (which is somewhat acceptable as far as web forums go because, after all, we can’t be online all the time) and then proceeded to write a post telling me to shorten my explanation (which is not acceptable).

If you don’t want to read a post (plausibly because you realize you’re wrong) don’t read it; don’t expect someone to rephrase it because you’re “Lazy”.

BTW, the mod comment was meant to annoy you because (as a mod) you should be setting a higher standard.

Hmmm, I see....

I don't really view myself as a role model, but more of a poster with more responsibilities and powers.I apologize if I offended you in any way. It was short sighted of me, but I get cranky when I'm tired. 

Glad we could come to an understanding, although that might be an assumption at this point. 

Are there any Japanese Wii Fit ads yet?!?! Oooh ooh I can't wait!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.