By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So we see that this site undertracks the XBOX 360- why?

noname2200 said:
algorith said:
algorith said:
mega-chris said:
i dont get it.. when a sony fanboy complains about undertracking he is the most annoying person ever. but when a microsoft fanboy complains he thinks he is right?

bring in the facts and then make another thread.

ot: i think this site is reliable seeing as how everytime npd gets released they are within that number. nough said!

This is a fact:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/xbox-360-has-sold-39-million-worldwide  

Sony also made an announcement of units shipped and it's correctly tracked, well actually it's slightly overtracked:

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6443   

That's not possible since it's Sony's provided figure. Sony has no way to track sales to consumers. 

Er...why do people keep having conversations with themselves in this thread?

It was a response to you (clicked wrong button), check edited version. Point is, they're tracking shipping units but still haven't updated MS numbers. 

Around the Network
Dexorosorous said:
vgchartz does a great job giving these information out for free. it is unreliable at times, but its not inaccurate enough to warrant such a strong response like "the staff are sony fanboys" etc. etc.

if you don't like the site, the best thing to do is to discredit it is to just get out of here so it doesn't get more internet clicks and more popularity. =P

P.S.
IT'S NOT LIKE THEY DON'T TRY HARD TO ADJUST THE NUMBERS DOWN/UP ACCORDINGLY WHEN MORE DATA COMES IN. Remember ps3 adjusted down from that 1 million week? anyway, just be patient. =P

I completely agree. Although i think vgchartz can be unreliable it usually does give a good indication of where the sales are at. 

My Eyes!!! The Goggles Do Nothing!!!

binary solo said:
If the true number of 360s sold to consumers is 38.17 million (36.77 + the so called missing 1.4 million) then VGC is off on its estimate of global Xbox 360 sales by a Mammoth 3.8%.

Imagine that after estimating Xbox 360 sales for 4 years VGC has only managed to achieve 96.2% accuracy. What utterly outrageous incompetence that VGC should claim any sort of credibility at estimating world sales of gaming consoles if it barely manages to be 96% accurate. They should shut this site down for being such big fraudsters leading us on with made up numbers they just pull out of their arses. I demand a refund!!

And what's worse? They are showing their obvious hatred for the Xbox 360. The whole internet is against Xbox, and that includes VGC. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, picking on the greatest console ever made like that. Just wait until Natal comes, it'll show you all! How it must gall the Sony loving VGC crew that they have to show the 360 in second place.

Life as we know it is now over.

I don't think the problem is the +/-4% deviation but rather the inability to correct the numbers once the accurate information has been provided. At that pace, it adds up and deviates even further making the numbers down right unusable even for estimates. 

algorith said:
Blacksaber said:
I love shipping compared to sales!

Didn't they also track the 3.88 (really 3.8)  million shipped by Sony and included it. That means they are tracking shipped, not sales to the final consumer..

Nope. They reported the 3.8 million shipped in a news article, it didn't get incoroporated into the Sony LTD total sales data on this site. VGC estimates global sales to consumers, that's all.

Edit: Up thread it's said the 3.8 million is sold to consumers. I don't know which is right now. I pretty much always assume "sales" reported by the console makers is always shipped to retail.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

algorith said:

It was a response to you (clicked wrong button), check edited version. Point is, they're tracking shipping units but still haven't updated MS numbers. 

That makes more sense. I was starting to detect a disturbing trend...

Anyhow, are you certain about this? Nintendo has its own internal tracker: I have a hard time believing that Sony doesn't have something similar. In fact, doesn't Sony subscribe to Nintendo's tracker?

Around the Network
algorith said:

@ noname2200

That's not possible since it's Sony's provided figure. Sony has no way to track sales to consumers. So those were shipped numbers or sales to retailers. I thought they would fix MS numbers but it's been 2 days... 

Shipped to retailers and sold to end consumer figures are going to be very similar at this stage. Retailers are not going to buying more units per month/quarter etc than they are selling. As such, Sony would be able to estimate the number of PS3's sold during a week/month/quarter/year to end consumers, even if they can't get it right to the unit.

Also, Sony would be able to judge sales from retailers based on follow-up orders. If retailers buy a batch of 5 million after their first batch, Sony can be sure the PS3 sold quite well. If they ordered 100,000 units, obviously stock (ie the 3.8 million shipment that you are talking about, that may not have even been shipping related) did not sell at all well.

Why are people questioning the reliability of VGChartz sales numbers? AFAIK VGChartz numbers are the real deal. VGChartz sales numbers are 100% accurate retail sales numbers. Never question the reliability of the site's numbers.
Shipment numbers are well in advance of the retail sales numbers. Some times months ahead of schedule. 39 million could be the number of 360s manufactured to date.

Going to repost this as it appears some people missed it.

The discrepancy between VGC's reported figure and Microsoft's sold to retailer figure are the nature of the beast and not due to any intentional number fudging on the part of the site.

Here are a few key facts to consider.

1. VGC can only estimate actual sales due simply to the impossibility of tracking every single sale across the globe. The methodology is similar to that of NPD, Chart-Track/GfK, Media Create and Famitsu. Poll a portion of the retail market and extrapolate.

2. Coverage. Microsoft sells the X360 to some markets that VGC does not cover.

3. Retail channel stuffing. In 2006, 2008 and so it appears this year as well, MS pushes out as many units as possible. Even more than consumer end retail can sustain.

4. Distributors. This is an industry segment not many consider. Technically, the big 3 don't sell directly to retailers but instead to distribution companies that then sell to retail. This is why MS can ship out more product that retail is willing to buy and stock and the largest reason for big discrepancies such as this.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
Wow... just wow... the ignorance in the OP's intro is... wow...

By chance... since Halo_Reach = only 37 posts... Are you Kowen? just sayin...

You by making this thread doesn't make you any more innocent then any of these "sony fanboys" of anything it spots you as a sour MS fanboy, hypocrisy is uncalled for, why do it?

i have been coming here for  long time, i jst dont post very often, cause the crowd here can sometimes be lame

noname2200 said:
algorith said:

That makes more sense. I was starting to detect a disturbing trend...

Anyhow, are you certain about this? Nintendo has its own internal tracker: I have a hard time believing that Sony doesn't have something similar. In fact, doesn't Sony subscribe to Nintendo's tracker?

Yes. Sony has referred industry analysts when asked for sales to end consumer to NPD and such. And there are retailers that will not disclose such information like Wal-mart. Sony keeps track of the units they sale = units sold to retailers. Anything else would be a guess, and publicly traded companies cannot release guesses to the media in an official manner due to investor litigation.