By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official I was wrong about SMG in Japan thread

Hey....has anyone went to check out how the other Mario games have performed in Japan? You might be surprised at how poor the series has always sold there, at least in comparison to NA. 67,000 for Mario Sunshine (bad Mario game or not) is just pathetic.

edit...woops...

first...i got the number I was trying to put wrong....it should have been 87,000....

second, that's missing a zero....870,000...ok....maybe not so bad.

Around the Network

I guessed 900k.

Off by 650k... 

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

DP..

You don't have to blame yourself, almost everyone who made a guess was wrong.

Anyone in fact who made a good Prediction?

i guessed 400k in my mind so im to bad off

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

*points at Fishy*

you FAIL!!!

btw I was expecting more too but probably not as much as you were. I was thinking 300K.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

What I said three weeks ago:

"The new fan base Nintendo has picked up with the DS and Wii don't all rush out to buy a game on day one. Heck, first day sales for many Nintendo titles are low and then are huge by the end of the weekend.

I'm going to guess about 400k current Wii owners plus another 100K new Wii owners will help Galaxy debut at around 500K. But the game will sell well over the holiday period and total well over 1M by the end of November and will be between 1.5-2M by the end of the year. (A lot will depend on system supplies.)"

And what I followed up with after the announcement of first day sales: 

"I'm going to hold fast with my prediction for the moment, though Galaxy does appear to be tracking a little more like Mario Party 8.  (It too had first day sales around 100k+ and total first week sales of ~282K.)"

So in the end, the game did end up with about the same number of units as Mario Party 8.  Will it track the same long term?  Probably not, especially with the holidays coming up in a few short weeks.  In the meantime, I'll be serving crow instead of turkey this Thanksgiving. ;)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Looking back at the last few years in Japan it appears that the market is trending toward the opposite end of the pendulum it was during Sony's 98' to 04' hey-day in Japan. 

Overall, I think it could be divided into 6 periods:

Pre 83' - Arcade dominated

83' to 90' - NES dominated.  Easy to play and quirky 2D games emerge.  True innovation abounds - so much that had ever been done before in terms of game play.   

late 90' to late 94' - Domination of the SNES.  RPGs, Platformers, quirky simple to play titles with refined gameplay excel.  At the very end of this era, Sony and Sega launch PS1 and Saturn opening up the potential for masterful 2D experiences as gaming enters the prenatal stages of the 3D revolution.

late 94'- late 97' - Virtual Boy and Nintendo 64 are both flops in Japan (especially VB!).  Some of the very best 2D games ever made are released to hold over hardcore traditionalists who are on the SNES and Saturn, but when it becomes apparent 2D is largely being abandoned with the rise of 3D hits on PS1 and N64, development patterns shift.  This era sees a peak of sorts for software sales as 2D lovers are satisfied with refined game concepts like Pokemon, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, etc while 3D begins to show off what kind of sales it is capable of by looking realistic (Mario 64) or having engrossing cinematic storyline with tried and true gameplay in 3D (FFVII)

98'-04' - Nintendo's approach is essentailly to move all of its old franchises into 3D, while trying to milk the profit out of them without competition from 3rd parties.  Sony's relationships with 3rd parties lead to an explosion of games focused on story telling and realism - Gran Turismo, DDR, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy are all huge.  Nintendo's biggest hit in this period is Pokemon on GB/GBC - while only Mario Kart 64 hits 2.0 million units on the console side.  Interestingly, many semi-big hits that are multiplayer centric (for both PS1 and N64) take off in the period - when they hadn't really in previous periods (there are exceptions - like Street Fighter 2) including Smash Brothers, DDR, GT, Mario Party, and others.  Despite the huge userbases of the both Playstation consoles, software sales for Japan's top franchises - FF and DQ are in slow decline during this period - perhaps indicating a shriking market, or the increase of pick up and play experiences with the rise of cell phones, Pokemon, and more competitive gaming.

04'-?? (probably 04'-09') - Noting the decline of formerly reliable selling first and third party traditional games, Nintendo launches a device known as the DS which can handle traditional games (NSMB) but also offers titles like Nintendogs and Brain Training in an attempt to recreate an environment of NES/PS1 level innovation in game design.  Early on, when DS only offered traditional software, it sold like the the GBA.  However, with disruptive software that appealed to women, DS software titles began selling as well as PS2's biggest titles in 2005, and with the launch of the DS lite, the market was showing signs of massive growth.  Sony, following the PSX debacle (a Virtual Boy like flop of tech packaged into a console), assumed its momentum would be so strong that it could carry blue ray with it, despite a hefty price tag and the warning signs of the DS's success.  With Microsoft's lead in the west and the massive software sales/hardware sales for DS in Japan, developers began to shift resources to prepare for the future.  With DS proving simpler titles with scaled back cinematic tendencies would sell very well, Nintendo snapped up DQIX from Sony, and launched Wii immediately with easy to play disruptive titles (Wii Sports/Wii Play) to try to show developers continued market expansion was not only possible but likely.  However, eventually the Wii Sports/Nintendogs audience will demand greater sophistication in their type of gameplay as well, which is why this era will likely end in 2-3 years.

Thats my assessment of Japan.... 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

it is close to my expection as before (225k)

i was off by 100% for first day sales, too.
but but... it was raining.