By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 finally Hacked

With piracy rife in the Wii, Xbox 360, DS and PSP markets, the PS3 has to date proved the only current-gen machine to successfully fend off the hackers – but it seems that things could be about to change.

According to reports on Maxconsole, a lengthy and convoluted workaround has been discovered that allows users to play pirated copies of Killzone 2, PES 2008 and Burnout Paradise.

Users are also required to have an older PS3 (i.e. not a ‘Slim’ machine) onto which third party OS software can be installed as well as copies of Windows XP, the original MotorStorm and a host of piracy-related DVD software.

The exploit, however, has been met with widespread scepticism amongst many in the hacker community, not least because of the extreme cost and effort needed to implement it.

Even if the hack is real, any detrimental effects are likely to be minimal for now. The fear, however, is that this method could be the start of full-fledged hacking of Sony’s console.

http://www.ps3news.com/PS3-Hacks/video-motorstorm-ps3-hack-exploit-to-run-ps3-backups

Around the Network

way too much work for the 'normal' hacker to even bother

Sony probably already has a new Firmware update available, YAY for the 1st firmware of the year!!!

boooo, if the 1st firmware of the year has no added features.

Wow, thats like the lamest hack ever, if you have to buy all that then whats the point of hacking only 3 games?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

That's a horribly painful process you have to go through for just 3 games...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

the video got removed from youtube >_>; sony moneh hatting machine works quick.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Doesn't sounds like people will even go through the trouble to do the hack.

I thought there was a mod chip about to be completed that would allow playing of backups and would be a much easier workaround? Just take an hour and $25 to install the chip and you're good.

That's just the last I heard. Don't have any links or anything. As far as I know, no mod chip is available as of right now.

Sorry, about this post >.>

nightsurge said:
I thought there was a mod chip about to be completed that would allow playing of backups and would be a much easier workaround? Just take an hour and $25 to install the chip and you're good.

That's just the last I heard. Don't have any links or anything. As far as I know, no mod chip is available as of right now.

Well if you heard that it must be true. Imminent PS3 h4X0r5!

On topic, the cost of the Blu-ray burner is always going to be a serious restriction to any hack allowing the use of copied games.  $150 seems around the cheapest at the moment, and although it'll go down, I don't see it dropping anywhere near the cost of DVD burners. I really don't see this hack getting off the ground, and even a simpler modchip hack like what nightsurge prophetised wouldn't really be anywhere close to mainstream due to cost. Just buy the damn games already.