By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - A lot of Kotaku members think VGChartz is bogus

This is a news article Kotaku recently put up specifically mentioning VGChartz. The article itself isn't bashing VGChartz, but by reading most of the comments, I see a lot of people think VGChartz is bogus or reliant on NPD. http://kotaku.com/gaming/sales-charts/npd-surprised-at-backlash-hate-vgchartz-real-bad-319679.php

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

Actually reading down a bit the back and forth is fairly VGC positive imo. Quite a few people step up and set the record straight explaining that VGC does use its own sources etc....

I don't know how many people will actually get that far down the page is the problem.

To Each Man, Responsibility

yeah i was going to say, aside from 2 or 3 posters, everyone steps up and defends vgc. I was suprised!

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout

I was surprised at the number of defenders as well...though I recognized one or two as vgchartz members...but still...that doesn't make them wrong.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

It's not just forum postings, I've noticed that Kotaku -- like 1Up and many, many other gaming blogs -- are still Not Quite Ready for Prime Time as media sites. Sometimes they may have interesting news, but all too many editors, writers and contributors have no sense of game history, or concentrate in a narrow field or genre, or just don't have enough grounding in the history of film, TV, painting, theater, literature to say intelligent things about videogames. Games aren't toys anymore, they are a full-fledged art-form, as complicated as TV and movies.

I just watched some editors from 1UP doing an interview with the composer for FF12, and it was painfully obvious they had no clue what questions to ask. Here's one of the most creative people in the industry, and they could only mumble "What's your inspiration" and "Who are you working with these days". Game journalism really needs to catch up to where the industry is.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
It's not just forum postings, I've noticed that Kotaku -- like 1Up and many, many other gaming blogs -- are still Not Quite Ready for Prime Time as media sites. Sometimes they may have interesting news, but all too many editors, writers and contributors have no sense of game history, or concentrate in a narrow field or genre, or just don't have enough grounding in the history of film, TV, painting, theater, literature to say intelligent things about videogames. Games aren't toys anymore, they are a full-fledged art-form, as complicated as TV and movies.

I just watched some editors from 1UP doing an interview with the composer for FF12, and it was painfully obvious they had no clue what questions to ask. Here's one of the most creative people in the industry, and they could only mumble "What's your inspiration" and "Who are you working with these days". Game journalism really needs to catch up to where the industry is.

QFT!

Thank you.  That comment was a breath of fresh air.  99% of anybody writing about games is a whiny asshat who thinks Halo is the greatest thing to happen to gaming.  They only see games as entertainment and not as art.  Every once in a while they'll sneak a shout out to Katamari or Beyond Good and Evil to try to look hip, but it doesn't stop them from frothing at the mouth every time the next big shooter comes out.  They're trying to turn video games into the huge fucking mistakes that Hollywood and MTV have become.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

loadedstatement said:
This is a news article Kotaku recently put up specifically mentioning VGChartz. The article itself isn't bashing VGChartz, but by reading most of the comments, I see a lot of people think VGChartz is bogus or reliant on NPD. http://kotaku.com/gaming/sales-charts/npd-surprised-at-backlash-hate-vgchartz-real-bad-319679.php

Does anyone else get annoyed about that NPD crap, everytime i see someone critisizing VGChartz, it always starts with "but NPD...", and still no one has even once been capable of showing me the NPD numbers for Japan or Europe/Australia. I can show the numbers from VGC, but still someone can be found, who wants to bitch "but NPD...". Although, after showing the numbers, whining usually stops after the word "NPD".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

With NPD's recent announcement it will only help VGC ... ioi can I buy some VGC stock? :)

More criticism will be a result of more exposure. It is bound to happen. I imagine most people see VG chartz for what it is (a fairly accurate source for tracking the industry)...don't let a couple bad apples on the internet ruin it.

ioi, you are gonna need a more bandwidth.

NPD only covers America. That's why I started coming to VGC. I need to get my worldwide on.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

eatrice said:
ioi can I buy some VGC stock? :)

Same here!!