By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - capcom not happy with darkside chronicles sales, mh3 + hardcore games talk

LordTheNightKnight said:
" I don't get how your point was relevent to mine then."

You stated the marketing for an HD game, and I pointed out SD games don't usually go that high (save for the major franchises). This is total marketing spent, not how much any ad costs.

Nintendo's games well exceed the average marketing budget for a HD game, I think Wii FIt has exceed $40 million in the US alone for marketing (cna dig up a source somewhere).

But yeah, just because most Wii's games marketing hasn't gone that high yet, doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't. Most people on here are quick to blame a lack of marketing for a Wii game struggling, and I personally think third parties need to up the marketing budget to turn their Wii fortunes around. 

It's a catch 22 at the moment, companies won't market a game which isn't a proven success, but it won't be a success without marketing. Hmph.

Around the Network

"Nintendo's games well exceed the average marketing budget for a HD game, I think Wii FIt has exceed $40 million in the US alone for marketing (cna dig up a source somewhere)."

It's a major game, which I brought up. Battalion Wars and Fire Emblem didn't have marketing budgets that high.

"But yeah, just because most Wii's games marketing hasn't gone that high yet, doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't. Most people on here are quick to blame a lack of marketing for a Wii game struggling, and I personally think third parties need to up the marketing budget to turn their Wii fortunes around."

Of course, but even then the marketing doesn't need to be as high as an HD game. Those often cost far more than $10 million, due to the development costs requiring even more copies to make a profit. SD games do not have that issue.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Nintendo's games well exceed the average marketing budget for a HD game, I think Wii FIt has exceed $40 million in the US alone for marketing (cna dig up a source somewhere)."

It's a major game, which I brought up. Battalion Wars and Fire Emblem didn't have marketing budgets that high.

"But yeah, just because most Wii's games marketing hasn't gone that high yet, doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't. Most people on here are quick to blame a lack of marketing for a Wii game struggling, and I personally think third parties need to up the marketing budget to turn their Wii fortunes around."

Of course, but even then the marketing doesn't need to be as high as an HD game. Those often cost far more than $10 million, due to the development costs requiring even more copies to make a profit. SD games do not have that issue.

A games marketing budget isn't primarily chosen based on it's developement costs, it's chosen based on using reasearch to figure what they think the best return on investment will be. It's not a written rule that Wii games need or have a lower marketing budget - the budget is chosen based on what will return the greatest revenue, not how much is already spent. 

It depends on a game by game basis, but in my opinion any big budget Wii game needs to have equal or higher marketing then it's HD counterparts. I think NIntendo sales show exactly why - the Wii audience simply won't know about the game otherwise. It completely depends on the product, just like some HD games have no marketing.

"A games marketing budget isn't primarily chosen based on it's developement costs"

Not primarily, but HD games cost so much, that most of them need a high marketing budget to ensure they sell enough.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"A games marketing budget isn't primarily chosen based on it's developement costs"

Not primarily, but HD games cost so much, that most of them need a high marketing budget to ensure they sell enough.

I never said that wasn't the case 0_o. In fact I think I already said that...

That doesn't mean it should be a rule that Wii games have smaller marketing budgets though, as I've already said, I think the sales trends we've see so far just show how important it is the Wii games have marketing. The question isn't "What marketing budget will make this game profitable?" it's "What marketing budget will make this game most profitable?". 

I don't even get why you keep replying, you're not saying anything new, just repeating what we've both already acknowledged. 

Around the Network

"That doesn't mean it should be a rule that Wii games have smaller marketing budgets though"

It's not a "rule". SD games that aren't huge releases tend to get relatively small marketing budgets, so even though they sell less, they still make a profit. This isn't just the Wii. It applies to any SD system.

Bruno Muñoz B said:

“This is the year of the emergence of so-called new console generation. It feels a position clear of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the market. This does not necessarily feel in the figures, because the Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on both platforms. The DS is declining, for reasons various and varied as market saturation and piracy. For these same reasons, the PSP is dying. The Wii console is very much a family commitment rates relatively low. So for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

So no Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 6 and Street Fighter V for Wii?

I know this is off subject but a wish your avatar was coming to Wii:)

Plus they're effort is all over the place

They sent Z&W to die w/ zero ads.

They rerereleaseed RE4 for Wii (great game but VERY LITTLE EFFORT to make)

Spyborgs, check Z&W, plus it was boring, smash this smash that.

Two on-rails RE games

MM9 sold great on Wii (from what I heard...)

They found success with MH3 (Wii's first AAA third party title imo) shipped over 1,1M 

And they're bring over the new VS game!

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

LordTheNightKnight said:
Fad is not the right word at all. Wii has the magic that made Star Wars a hit, and that movie was destined to flop.

I was listening to NPR (national public radio in the U.S.) and they had an interview with George Lucas.  During the interview George Lucas mentioned that a group of filmakers (which included all of today's big hitters, such as Martin Sorcese and Steven Spielberg) would get together and watch the rough cuts of their films (Godfather, Jaws, Taxi, and Star Wars were all mentioned by name to be shown in these get togethers).

During one of these get togethers George Lucas showed Star Wars (without any special effects), and everybody but Spielberg thought the movie was horrible.  Spielberg, on the other hand, told Lucas that Star Wars was going to be the greatest thing ever (and, at the time, Spielberg was right).  

"They rerereleaseed RE4 for Wii (great game but VERY LITTLE EFFORT to make)"

Not really true. Just because the Wii is based on the GC does not mean the games would be easy to redo on the Wii. And I don't just mean the controls. The game code has to be rewritten for the differences, and tested to make sure there aren't any unforeseen bugs.

Plus the RE4 Engine had to be adapted to work on the Wii as well.

Like I expected, the capcom France voice is like a joke....

Capcom Europe for press :

Further to comments made in a recent article on French website Gamekult, Capcom would like to confirm its commitment as a multi-platform developer and publisher of interactive software.
Kind regards
Capcom's European PR Team

Capcom and nintendo always together !

Love Video Games : http://www.lightningamer.com