By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - capcom not happy with darkside chronicles sales, mh3 + hardcore games talk

Bruno Muñoz B said:

“This is the year of the emergence of so-called new console generation. It feels a position clear of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the market. This does not necessarily feel in the figures, because the Wii is still an important part of sales, but growth is on both platforms. The DS is declining, for reasons various and varied as market saturation and piracy. For these same reasons, the PSP is dying. The Wii console is very much a family commitment rates relatively low. So for us, Capcom, the future is the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

So no Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 6 and Street Fighter V for Wii?

which is a shame as didnt they recently adapt the resi engine for wii?

i felt sure capcom would announce resi 5 : wii edition at e3 2010...now im not so...

Muramasa: the Demon Blade

Around the Network

BTW, did they say the same when Breath of Fire V, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe 2, Final Fight: Streetwise, God Hand, Onimusha: Blade Warriors, Auto Modellista, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, Shadow Of Rome, Resident Evil: Dead Aim, Okami, Dino Stalker,  Mega Man X: Command Mission or Chaos Legion bombed on PS2?

LordTheNightKnight said:
jammy2211 said:
theRepublic said:
mike_intellivision said:
Metallicube said:
I think what Malstrom predicted is largely coming to fruition. 3rd parties are starting to scratch their heads about the lack of sales for their crappy "birdman" games so they will all retreat upmarket to where they feel comfortable; to the PS3 and 360 hardcore markets, until they go bankrupt or lose enormous amounts of money. Which will then open the floodgates to a plethora of indie devs eager to take advantage of the Wii success and the largely untapped expanded audience market.

Capcom is falling prey to this, like most other 3rd parties. Their logic is, well Umbrella Chronicles sold well, so a sequel should too right? But it's not always that simple to sell to the expanded audience. They demand something new, and appealing to them.

I think we have a winner here. If you look at the sales -- and the points I have made previously in this thread -- show this is exactly what is happening. 

That makes the Wii a high risk, high reward proposition -- which most people do not like.

Mike from Morgantown

Considering the price of development, I don't consider the Wii to be high risk.  It's just that third parties have no clue how to tap into the reward part on the Wii, while the same-old-same-old continues to work on the PS3 and 360.

If the game is going to be as good as a HD developement third party type game, and marketed the same, then it is a high risk. The marketing alone for a HD game is normally set up a minimum of $10 million 0_o.

Certainly would cost less to develope, but you're losing $10 per copy sold too.

The marketing for HD games is because of the higher development costs. So you claiming those are the same circumstances shows you aren't paying attention to the numbers.

Wah?

The marketing cost costs the exact same no matter what platform. The TV companies don't charge less if you're advertising a Wii game then a PS3 game lol.

jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jammy2211 said:
theRepublic said:
mike_intellivision said:
Metallicube said:
I think what Malstrom predicted is largely coming to fruition. 3rd parties are starting to scratch their heads about the lack of sales for their crappy "birdman" games so they will all retreat upmarket to where they feel comfortable; to the PS3 and 360 hardcore markets, until they go bankrupt or lose enormous amounts of money. Which will then open the floodgates to a plethora of indie devs eager to take advantage of the Wii success and the largely untapped expanded audience market.

Capcom is falling prey to this, like most other 3rd parties. Their logic is, well Umbrella Chronicles sold well, so a sequel should too right? But it's not always that simple to sell to the expanded audience. They demand something new, and appealing to them.

I think we have a winner here. If you look at the sales -- and the points I have made previously in this thread -- show this is exactly what is happening. 

That makes the Wii a high risk, high reward proposition -- which most people do not like.

Mike from Morgantown

Considering the price of development, I don't consider the Wii to be high risk.  It's just that third parties have no clue how to tap into the reward part on the Wii, while the same-old-same-old continues to work on the PS3 and 360.

If the game is going to be as good as a HD developement third party type game, and marketed the same, then it is a high risk. The marketing alone for a HD game is normally set up a minimum of $10 million 0_o.

The marketing for HD games is because of the higher development costs. So you claiming those are the same circumstances shows you aren't paying attention to the numbers.

Wah?

The marketing cost costs the exact same no matter what platform. The TV companies don't charge less if you're advertising a Wii game then a PS3 game lol.

That's marketing price, not marketing budget.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Bruno Muñoz B said:

BTW, did they say the same when Breath of Fire V, Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe, Viewtiful Joe 2, Final Fight: Streetwise, God Hand, Onimusha: Blade Warriors, Auto Modellista, Maximo vs. Army of Zin, Shadow Of Rome, Resident Evil: Dead Aim, Okami, Dino Stalker,  Mega Man X: Command Mission or Chaos Legion bombed on PS2?

Lol no. They wouldn't ever insult the all might PS2 users :P

Around the Network

Cool, now Capcom can focus back on their more "quality" titles for the "real" core consoles teh HD twins *snickers.

LordTheNightKnight said:
jammy2211 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
jammy2211 said:
theRepublic said:
mike_intellivision said:
Metallicube said:

Mike from Morgantown

Wah?

That's marketing price, not marketing budget.

I don't get how your point was relevent to mine then. 

The Wii is high risk is all I'm saying, if a company is going to create the sort of software people on here want them too, and market it like people want them to, it'll cost monies.. I'm not saying HD isn't, just that the Wii is a large financial investment too when you go down that route.

" I don't get how your point was relevent to mine then."

You stated the marketing for an HD game, and I pointed out SD games don't usually go that high (save for the major franchises). This is total marketing spent, not how much any ad costs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

I hope now Capcom can focuse more on making PS3 and 360 games, rather than making wii games

BladeOfGod said:
I hope now Capcom can focuse more on making PS3 and 360 games, rather than making wii games

Not likely. This was just the head of Capcom France. Other people in Capcom have stated they will support the Wii.