By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo takes charge of Monster Hunter 3 in EU/AU

Chrizum said:
I'm afraid this means Monster Hunter 3 will flop in the west. Just take a look at any non-mainstream game from Nintendo: Disaster, Metroid, ExciteBots, barely any advertizing at all.

Well consider the example of other Nintendo games and look at their success in sales.

Now compare to other titles Nintendo is taking control of, like Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest, and look how well they're selling outside of Japan.

...yeah.  They can hardly sell worse.  And considering the effort their companies have put into advertising outside of Japan, some advertising is better than no advertising.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

I better see a major push with LOTS of quality advertising and bundles. Will get one with a pro classic controller if they do.

trangentspree said:

In an agreement with Capcom, Nintendo is now to be ""responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution" for Monster Hunter 3 in Europe and Australia.

http://kotaku.com/5440336/in-europe-monster-hunter-is-now-nintendos-baby

This should mean a lot more marketing for this game compared to the usual for third-party titles on the Wii.

Still, do you think this is a sign of Nintendo getting more involved in the success of its third-party titles? Or do you think it's simply a matter that Capcom couldn't handle distribution in all territories by itself?

Is this unusual practice for Nintendo?

First, this is unusual.

I think it has to do with trying to make this game a hit in the west like it is in Japan, but also to encourage third parties to make games on the Wii. While it hasn't destroyed the Wii, it puts more pressure on Nintendo because third parties wont pick up some of the slack and make games tyhat will support strong Wii sales. 2009 was hurt by the lack of big hit games, but like on the DS, third party games can help support the system.

Innervate said:

Nintendo can advertise it all they want, this still begs the question: Is this a game western gamers want? I honestly don't see Monster Hunter doing anywhere as well here and in Europe as it does in Japan, at least with how the series is currently handled. It's not a bridge game, it doesn't use motion controls and it isn't pick up and play; I'm failling to see how Nintendo can properly market this game.

It has to be pick up and play. The series took of on the PSP, a handheld. Some non-pick up and play games sell well on those, but they're usually from strong brand names (Final Fantasy Tactics, GTA). MH sold better on the PSP than on the PS2. That system is where the brand took off. If it was not pick up and play, that would not have happened.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Very good!! April sounds good to me. Hopefully this means heavy advertising, i really want this game to succeed in the west. Maybe Nintendo want to prove that there is a hardcore market out there to invest on the wii

Around the Network
Innervate said:

Nintendo can advertise it all they want, this still begs the question: Is this a game western gamers want? I honestly don't see Monster Hunter doing anywhere as well here and in Europe as it does in Japan, at least with how the series is currently handled. It's not a bridge game, it doesn't use motion controls and it isn't pick up and play; I'm failling to see how Nintendo can properly market this game.

Many series that 'western gamers' probably wouldn't have liked before are now loved by western gamers due to advertising.  Such as Persona, Kingdom Hearts and even Final Fantasy.  I see no reason why Monster Hunter would be any different.  In fact, it would probably be MORE interesting to western gamers after advertising due to it having 1) good graphics 2) a more 'western appeal (aka dragons/western medieval setting) and 3) it looks a lot like other games that did well here such as Phantasy Star Online.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Wasn't this already known ages ago? I know this isn't the first I've heard of this...

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
jefforange89 said:
Wasn't this already known ages ago? I know this isn't the first I've heard of this...

That Nintendo pledged to help push the game to western markets, yes. We didn't know the details, though. Yet so many are acting surprised by this.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs