By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox in Japan, is that it?

They should give up on it, it's a total joke in Japan. Gamers make fun of it, it's reliability is laughed about, and they complain about how dull western games are (the 360's forte). Additionally, most exclusive JRPG's get a PS3 rerelease, or they just aren't that good.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
360 did very well overall in Japan, i mean it is an american product directed at a very narrow group of consumers yet it sold more then 1.2 milion in its lifetime, outselling its predecessor considerably. You have to put Xbox 360 into context while discussing Japanese Market.

As for the future? There will surely be another Mistwalker game this generation, that will surely sell well, and who knows maybe they will get some extra JRPG's soon. Japan was never a priority for MS

No, that's not putting it in context. That's just damage control. The 360 has done terribly in Japan no matter how you put it.

The 360 launched before the PS3 and Wii in Japan. Microsoft got tons of JRPG exclusives (Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, Lost Odyssey, etc.), and even dropped their console to really low prices. They spent tons of money to not only wins the hearts and minds of Japanese developers, but Japanese consumers as well. And it hasn't even outsold the Wonderswan if memory serves (I'm trying to find Vgchartz's shipment information). Besides, Japan was always a priority for Microsoft. They wouldn't have launched their console there, slashed the price heavily, and bought off tons of developers if it wasn't.

If I was Microsoft, I'd try my hardest to win over Japanese developers, and then the gamers will follow. That's Sony did it, and that's how Nintendo did it.

Auron said:
Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
It wasn't worth it...
they should focus more on Europe now.

When Japanese people don't appreciate what Microsoft has done for them, then they also don't deserve that kind of service anymore.

What exactly has Microsoft done to institute such an opinion?

Tons of pricecuts and they founded new JRPG IPs such as Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

A mediacore attempt at a concrete genre. If your going to hit, KO. Those IPs are irrelevant.

Well also the tons of money MS wasted to bring 3rd party JRPGs to the Xbox360.

That's more than any other company has done for the Japanese. So yes, the 360 deserved much more sales in that area.

That's not really doing anything.  If MS didn't pay millions to get timed exclusivity for JRPGs then the Japanese would just play them on the PS3.  MS was trying to help themselves and not Japan.  I fail to see your reasoning saying MS deserved to do better.  In a free market you have to put out a product that people will buy, MS failed to do that in Japan just like Sony to some extent failed to do that with the PS3 in U.S.  No product deserves to do good.

I know that they failed, but at least they tried.

I still don't know why almost no one bought a 360 when Lost Odysey came out. That game was genius. Definitely wasn't Microsoft's fault here.

MontanaHatchet said:
Lolcislaw said:
360 did very well overall in Japan, i mean it is an american product directed at a very narrow group of consumers yet it sold more then 1.2 milion in its lifetime, outselling its predecessor considerably. You have to put Xbox 360 into context while discussing Japanese Market.

As for the future? There will surely be another Mistwalker game this generation, that will surely sell well, and who knows maybe they will get some extra JRPG's soon. Japan was never a priority for MS

No, that's not putting it in context. That's just damage control. The 360 has done terribly in Japan no matter how you put it.

The 360 launched before the PS3 and Wii in Japan. Microsoft got tons of JRPG exclusives (Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean 4, Lost Odyssey, etc.), and even dropped their console to really low prices. They spent tons of money to not only wins the hearts and minds of Japanese developers, but Japanese consumers as well. And it hasn't even outsold the Wonderswan if memory serves (I'm trying to find Vgchartz's shipment information). Besides, Japan was always a priority for Microsoft. They wouldn't have launched their console there, slashed the price heavily, and bought off tons of developers if it wasn't.

If I was Microsoft, I'd try my hardest to win over Japanese developers, and then the gamers will follow. That's Sony did it, and that's how Nintendo did it.

And all those efforts have tipled original Xbox sales in Japan, ther was never a real chance for MS to outsell Nintendo or Sony,  it was about becoming a visible brand there. And it did succed especially  among so called "hardcore" gamers because of  its JRPG offerings. Maybe they should have tried harder securing game in other genres.

For me they did a decent job in there, "terrible" i think is a bit of a strong word. 

Lolcislaw said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Lolcislaw said:

And all those efforts have tipled original Xbox sales in Japan, ther was never a real chance for MS to outsell Nintendo or Sony,  it was about becoming a visible brand there. And it did succed especially  among so called "hardcore" gamers because of  its JRPG offerings. Maybe they should have tried harder securing game in other genres.

For me they did a decent job in there, "terrible" i think is a bit of a strong word. 

They tripled their sales from the Xbox to the Xbox 360, yes, but their brand is still very much in the realm of irrelevance. It wasn't about outselling the Wii or PS3, it was getting some kind of presence there. They still don't have that. Their software sales in Japan are nothing to brag about (the PS3 has FF13 at 1.7 million, the Wii has Wii Sports at 3.65 million, while the 360 only has Ace Combat 6 at 220k after a big re-release), and the 360's hardware sales are still not anywhere near an area of relevance in Japan.

I don't mean to rag on the 360, because I love the console and I think Microsoft worked really hard in Japan. It's just doing badly there. But like I said, if they work really hard to win over the developers, the games and gamers will follow. Hopefully Natal can help them out in the region.

Around the Network

The have improved a hell of a lot since the xbox 1 in terms of the japan problem.
Natal will be a big test this year, and however that does should decided what they need to do with japan. Yes they should keep selling over there, but no, they shouldn't keep trying to romance the japanese people. They should be working on europe, and even the US, so they can bring down the hammer on the ps3.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Seece said:

So 2008 was a great year for the Xbox brand in Japan (as great as it was gonna get) It had a bunch of JRPG's and reached 25k one week.

Have Microsoft given up? It's clearly not worth their efforts anymore, I think they've done as much as they can, or maybe they're planning a big Natal JRPG?!

too be honest, I don't think natal will be big in Japan at all. the reason: VERY limited space in most japanese peoples' houses. so if they try a big natal jrpg for japan, i think it will fail just as much as ms previous attempts. like most japanese people I know, and been visiting in their house sit on their floor with their tv's adjusted to floor-sitting height.. so ms will face their very limited userbase and VERY limited "conditions" in regards to natal.

Well, 360 ain't no monster in Japan, but compared to Xbox it has done well and Microsoft should continue pushing.

they needed to get a final fantasy on their system, not trying to get FF13 in Japan was their biggest mistake, and was probably their last hope for grabbing some decent marketshare.

deathgod33 said:
they needed to get a final fantasy on their system, not trying to get FF13 in Japan was their biggest mistake, and was probably their last hope for grabbing some decent marketshare.

FF13 multiplat wouldn't matter much. They would've had to get FF13 exclusive, which would've been basically impossible.

It's a step in the right direction though, they've done much better than the original xbox.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes