By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox in Japan, is that it?

Unless they got other timed JRPG exclusives, they are pretty much...done there.

But they made a hell of an improvement over last gen (I think only 400k Xbox1s were sold?)
Should squeeze out maybe a few hundred thousand more (I'm thinking 200k?) I don't know.
From what I see now, they got nothing but Natal for this year and nothing in sight for 2010 Japan.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network
loy310 said:
kowenicki said:
I'd say a corporate "F*** You" to Japan to be honest and spend moneytrying to get a better grip in others.

But then I'm a hot head sometimes... I think MS will continue to try and build a following.

Natal could help I guess.

If this was a perfect world then that would be the thing to do, but it is not so MS have to keep trying in Japan. Sony and Nintendo are currently doing too good in Japan for MS to just drop it and ignore it. How will Japan developers react? because I really don't see them making the effort to support MS in EU/Other and America if the console is not supported on their home turf.

They can't get up and leave Sony and Nintendo to dominate Japan by them self, the PS3 being the only HD console in Japan could spell a world wide disaster for Microsoft games division. 

On the other hand the games they had sold quite well. And then a bunch of them appeared on the PS3 with added content. Don't know about Japan, but I think I was in a similar situation as many Japanese gamers and ended up getting the better versions as well, in which case I don't have to tell you who's saying the F*** You.

I think it' s over! 360 died in Japan.

360 did very well overall in Japan, i mean it is an american product directed at a very narrow group of consumers yet it sold more then 1.2 milion in its lifetime, outselling its predecessor considerably. You have to put Xbox 360 into context while discussing Japanese Market.

As for the future? There will surely be another Mistwalker game this generation, that will surely sell well, and who knows maybe they will get some extra JRPG's soon. Japan was never a priority for MS

It's almost tripled what the original Xbox sold so I think MS should continue to push in Japan.

jJ

Around the Network

microsoft never will get foot in japan, unless they are the only console.

the moment another one exist, multiplatform status will me imminent.

3rd party developers from now on won 't make any other 360 rpg exclusive in japan because the sales are pretty lame and ps3 has proven a better choice after the Vesperia re-launch
I remember square-enix stating that they expect 360 to sell more than ps3(september 2008) now they won 't even think of it again

Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
It wasn't worth it...
they should focus more on Europe now.

When Japanese people don't appreciate what Microsoft has done for them, then they also don't deserve that kind of service anymore.

What exactly has Microsoft done to institute such an opinion?

Tons of pricecuts and they founded new JRPG IPs such as Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

A mediacore attempt at a concrete genre. If your going to hit, KO. Those IPs are irrelevant.

Well also the tons of money MS wasted to bring 3rd party JRPGs to the Xbox360.

That's more than any other company has done for the Japanese. So yes, the 360 deserved much more sales in that area.

That's not really doing anything.  If MS didn't pay millions to get timed exclusivity for JRPGs then the Japanese would just play them on the PS3.  MS was trying to help themselves and not Japan.  I fail to see your reasoning saying MS deserved to do better.  In a free market you have to put out a product that people will buy, MS failed to do that in Japan just like Sony to some extent failed to do that with the PS3 in U.S.  No product deserves to do good.

I guess....GT5,ffvs13 and other bunch of JRPG? I think its pretty much done.

Auron said:
Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
Goodfella said:
Barozi said:
It wasn't worth it...
they should focus more on Europe now.

When Japanese people don't appreciate what Microsoft has done for them, then they also don't deserve that kind of service anymore.

What exactly has Microsoft done to institute such an opinion?

Tons of pricecuts and they founded new JRPG IPs such as Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

A mediacore attempt at a concrete genre. If your going to hit, KO. Those IPs are irrelevant.

Well also the tons of money MS wasted to bring 3rd party JRPGs to the Xbox360.

That's more than any other company has done for the Japanese. So yes, the 360 deserved much more sales in that area.

That's not really doing anything.  If MS didn't pay millions to get timed exclusivity for JRPGs then the Japanese would just play them on the PS3.  MS was trying to help themselves and not Japan.  I fail to see your reasoning saying MS deserved to do better.  In a free market you have to put out a product that people will buy, MS failed to do that in Japan just like Sony to some extent failed to do that with the PS3 in U.S.  No product deserves to do good.

since ff13 is ps3 exclusive in japan even if MS has  bought all jrpgs this gen and their console don 't have ff or dragon quest bye bye