By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SEGA says they probably won’t create more mature games for Wii, talks sales

kingofwale said:
was Dead Space on HD console heavily advertised? I didn't think so either, so I do get Sega's point.

there's no right or wrong here, they made a business decision. And frankly, nothing we can do about it.

Yeah it was, there was an assload of commercials AND a direct to DVD animated movie that acted as a prequel. I remeber both being advertised at the same time.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

Well the mature games from third parties have been shit anyway so it's no loss at all..

The Wii has become a Nintendo first party games playing device to me.. I'm looking forward to Red Steel 2 though :D

I really dont know what sort of sales they expected from those games. House of The Death is a on rails shooter and those games arent traditionally monster sellers, and sell best when on reduced price. It will reach soon 500k copies sold which is an amazing result, the Game is great it has humour, action. But it was never a big seller

MadWorld is a similar story, very brutal, over the top game with very unusual graphics for majority of Wii owners (and gamers in general). Good game but again with limited potnetial sales.

Havent played Conduit, so i cant judge it.

Overall if Sega wants sell millions on a Wii they need to produce games that can sell to wide group of gamers. Madworld and HotD will never be mainstream games that can reach milions, im sure if Sega decided to release Shenmue, Virtua Fighter or a Game like Bayonetta on the Wii it would've easily sell well.

Sega: "You've gotta help us Doc! We've tried nothing and we're fresh out of ideas!"

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

There will always be an excuse as to why good to great quality "mature" games don't sell on wii like they do on the HD twins, no one will admit the obvious. That it's a machine that caters to a different audience, it's simple, it's obvious. But no, it's because marketing, or it's niche, or the weird color scheme, or it's not a popular game director anyway, or that's just not a popular genre, or ect. There will always always always be a reason other than the obvious one.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

Valkyria Chronicles 2, a PSP game, looks to have more polish than the Conduit, HotD Overkill and Madworld combined. I'm exaggerating, of course, but the point I'm trying to make is that they take handheld development and publishing more seriously than they would on the Wii. I saw more Bayonetta commercials in one hour block than I ever seen for MadWorld.

I thought SEGA, an integrated hardware and software gaming company, would understand the Wii. Apparently I was wrong.

The_vagabond7 said:
There will always be an excuse as to why good to great quality "mature" games don't sell on wii like they do on the HD twins, no one will admit the obvious. That it's a machine that caters to a different audience, it's simple, it's obvious. But no, it's because marketing, or it's niche, or the weird color scheme, or it's not a popular game director anyway, or that's just not a popular genre, or ect. There will always always always be a reason other than the obvious one.

The argument that the audience simply isn't there doesn't make sense to me, since there are several M-rated titles which have sold over a million units. If there was no audience, these games couldn't sell a million copies, so I don't think things are as obvious as you make them out to be. There is at least one formula for selling a million copies of a mature game on the Wii.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

You know, this can be read a different way. They may be aware of a new Nintendo home console in the works. From what I've heard, it takes about 2-3 years to make a game. Its now 2010. If they started a game now, it wouldnt be out til 2012. The next gen of games will likely come out by then.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Here is the thing. When the Wii gets a proper entry into a series it does well if that series itself doesn't have issues to begin with such as the Tales series which as a whole has been in decline for the last several years. Some of the best examples of these games doing well are Resident Evil 4 (which is actually a port of a GameCube game but with new controls), Monster Hunter 3 (only out in Japan so far and very likely is already a million seller there and had plenty of advertising a proper entry to a series deserves), and the Call of Duty games (even though Activision has tried to bury them. They've still sold regardless. Now imagine if they actually advertised and push those games).

Now when spin offs are done they don't sell well or at all. It has nothing to do about there being a different audience the Wii. Yes there are more new gamers on the system but the core gamers that were there on Nintendo systems in the past and even past systems are still there. Who do these publishers think were buying Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Monster Hunter 3, etc?

People know what spin offs are and what that usually means. Lets assume that everyone that bought a GameCube also bought a Wii. Given the Wii's numbers not a bad assumption to make. Soul Caliber 2 did well on the Cube. As well as the other versions that came out with the PS2 version doing a bit more due to it's install base if I'm recalling correctly. All versions were equal and had their own special characters. Now when SC4 came out the Wii was ignored in regards to the proper series and given a spin offs. There was more then likely a market for the game. There was a previous engine already in existence that could have been worked on for a Wii version even if it came out later yet (so an excuse that the HD version couldn't be ported doesn't fly at all. It didn't have to be, just recreated with an engine you already have.) that wasn't even attempted. One has to ask why? From the start there wasn't a serious attempt to treat the Wii as normal gaming console. It was written off from the start and when they saw it doing well it didn't matter to them it seems.

I don't buy talk that the Wii has a difference audience. There are examples that clearly show that not to be the case. What the problem is that the developers/publishers simply don't care for the system and and as a result Nintendo. Audience is just an excuse when they can't pawn off (with the least amount of effort as possible) their crap on those that have Wii systems.

I am not surprised. All Ninty has to do is this:
1. Release some decent to good classics on the VC
2. Release several titles that aren't great but just good enough to keep people's minds of things.
3. Release ANOTHER Mario Party (I think 9 at this point)
4. Show a picture or concept art of Link at an E3 (and fans will start crying)
5. Announce a Metroid game
6. Announce a main series Mario game
7. Release or announce another Mario Kart.

I am utterly dissapointed not only in their offerings overall but at the fans for not supporting true gems like Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Is there seriously ANY freakin reason YOU Wii fans are not supporting this amazing game? Hell I rarely borrow my friend's Wii (RE4 made me keep it for almost a month, playing and replaying it) but Muramasa is probably the ONLY game out that I would PROBABLY buy a Wii for (*GASP). No excuse for that specific game to sell so low, I mean even mediocre to bad games like Haze (ughhh embarrassed that it was in my console of choice) have sold much more. When I see titles like MadWorld and Muramasa sell tons then I'll start to believe that most of the Wii demographic isn't the casual market. And I know Nordlead who is a diehard Mario fan has also played this game and loved it.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.