By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Todays conversation in the mall...

Any find it aggravating that with the Australian Dollar at 0.92 US Dollars, we're still paying $700 dollars for the 40 GB PS3?

Around the Network
dtewi said:
So you told the mother to buy him a Wii instead of a PS3 when he clearly wanted it but you didn't care? Didn't you tell them about the 60 or 80 GB? (or is Austrailia wacky)

You misunderstand.

I didn't tell anything - it was already decided. The mother was basically saying - no PS2 compatability - no PS3 purchase. That's the gist of the conversation (it wasn't very long).

I also did discover that the 40Gig PS3s are silver (only heard this until now, rather than seen it).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

mrstickball said:
Actually, it sounds more of like the mother was telling her son the Wii she is getting him for Christmas doesn't play Wii games. Atleast that's what it sounds like to me.

Eh?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Lol. IF we had anything remotely close to price parity based on the exchange rate here in Australia, I'd pick the ps3 up after christmas. But then that would be before I realised this new gimped PS3 didn't have backward compatability

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Two things: why did she tell him what hes getting for christmas?! Talk about ruining the surprise...
And also; this shows what I've been trying to tell people lately in here, your average consumer has gotten a lot more informed on products and specifications than before. The HD era is being ushered in, and most people manage to keep up with development.
As for this particular case, I'm sure an 8 year old is better off with a Wii than a PS3. Sony don't exactly go to great lengths to make their console kid friendly...

Around the Network
stranne said:
Spoiled kid. When I was a kid I got to play with toothpicks...if I was lucky!

Pfft. I didn't even get to touch a toothpick. 

LG[Infinite] said:
Any find it aggravating that with the Australian Dollar at 0.92 US Dollars, we're still paying $700 dollars for the 40 GB PS3?

Yeah, its ridiculous. Sony (like everyone else) is milking us as hard as possible.

Just import one of the units - they are all basically the same, right?

Games are almost $100 each here (PS3 games anyway). The 60gig model ($899?) is much better value - coming with two games, extra controller, bigger hard disk AND PS2 support.

Sony had better NOT dry up the supply of the 60Gig models. That could be disasterous.

(any news as to whether the non-40gig models are being phased out? short or long term?) 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Mummelmann said:
Two things: why did she tell him what hes getting for christmas?! Talk about ruining the surprise...

It seemed like the sort of family, where the kids have been hassling the parents for MONTHS to get a Wii. So it became promised to them as a Xmas gift months ago.

Sort of wishing I would have questioned them some more on the purchase, why no PS3, whether they have a 360, etc.

I was also going to recommend they PREORDER their Wii (or buy it now) - otherwise they might end up a little disappointed. 

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Galaki said:
stranne said:
Spoiled kid. When I was a kid I got to play with toothpicks...if I was lucky!

Pfft. I didn't even get to touch a toothpick. 

Ha! you were lucky, in my day we got chucked in a lake of sulphuric acid at christmas, and that was only after being stabbed by half a toothpick.

@mrstcikball;

What the hell?

@dtewi;

If I heard the same thing I would stress the lady to get the Wii over the PS3, C'mon he's 8, would you rather an 8 year old kid shooting and killing or playing happy Mario party games while keeping active?
And perhaps when he gets older he can play some of Wii's more mature line-up.
What makes you think the mother has the cash to burn on a 60g or 80g model PS3 anyway?

That's like say if you went into a phone store, and there's a mother about to buy her daughter a mobile phone for her let's say 16th birthday, she has about $250 she can spend on her daughters phone, the daughter wants something crazy expensive like the iphone or something of similar value, would you jump in and say to the mother 'No, no no you must buy her the expensive phone because that's what she wants'.

You'd get told to f*** off.

@Shams;

I wish I knew what the mother had to say at the end of that line, I can't think of what she may of said.