By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Todays conversation in the mall...

Yeah, as ssj said, the clerk was most likely trying to get incentives that he receives for selling a Playstation 3. Still, if you are misleading customers then they aren't going to come back to your store.

I knew from the first sentence that she was most likely trying to find a Wii, but if I had just told her that rather than explain details on both systems then I would have had less credibility than the lying store clerk. Plus, there is always the chance that she really wanted the PS3, so it's much better to just give her all the relevant information.

Around the Network

Nice, naznatips.

And that's not even being a fanboy...that's just telling the lady what she wanted...stupid Gamestop.

I got strange looks while buying Zack and Wiki...and hell, the guy called Mario "Mario Galaxies"...do they even care about what the majority of buyers want? Yes, sell that PS3, and sell that 360...but the Wii's selling the most, why be dicks about it?

I went to play the SMG demo...I don't think I'm going to buy from them again though, unless I can't find what I want at a retail store.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I think a lot of parents are in the "I paid x amount of dollars for my sons games" crowd and do not want the games to be obsolete once they get the new system. They probably feel the kids will stop playing the old system but not the old games.

Pretty crazy story that Naz told. I guess its not too hard to believe since people that are gamers are more likely to work at a game store.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Anyone who said that telling a kid months in advance is horrible, I was told I was getting a SNES 9 months before I got it. Best anticipation ever. (Grade 3).

Although, what is the reward ratio, 5 points per system, 1 point per game? Have fun selling 200k systems for your car.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

LG[Infinite] said:
Any find it aggravating that with the Australian Dollar at 0.92 US Dollars, we're still paying $700 dollars for the 40 GB PS3?

No, I really don't care.

You live in Australia. While it is true that I likely have a higher quality of life than you (while living in a nice part of America) that comes with a lot of problems. For example, Bush has decided to create what will likely end up being over $10,000 in debt for every American to pay for the conflict in Iraq. This conflict has also over doubled the price of oil and I am guessing with over 80,000 miles on my car I likely drive more than you, too.

I understand your games cost more, but the future on my nation is being destroyed. For example, do you realize that as your dollar goes up in value compared to my dollar, that means my dollar has dropped in value. Even though I have saved many 1000s of dollars since Bush took office, my net worth is actually worth less in the world than it was 7 years ago. I save around 30% of my income and every year the amount of money of I have in savings is worth less and less. Again, I don't care if new games cost you a little more.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Around the Network

Naz.. I would have kicked you out of the store before that point. When it comes to sales you sell what you have, not what you don't have and won't likely get many in. I'd also post up there at the store to ban you from ever entering the store again. They are there to make money and you don't know why that sales person was telling the person about the PS3 instead of the Wii.

Sure, the salesperson is being deceptive and only telling one side of the story, but when it comes to sales (especially if you are on commission) you push what you have. That's an ethics question they will have to answer themselves and deal with. Not by having someone playing games with no intent to purchase anything talk their customers out of a potential sale and try to give an ethics lesson to them.

If it were me and someone working at a store was doing their best to sell a person on a Wii instead of a PS3 that they were really looking for I'd just stand back, play the demo and laugh quietly everytime they said something bogus. And if they were lying about something that only the PS3 has and the Wii doesn't like a particular game. I may ask them when that game they lied about comes out for the PS3, or if they have any in stock. But I'd do it in another manner instead of getting into a heated debate with the sales monkey.

Shams, I do have to admit, that you should have mentioned to the lady about the 60gb version that does have bc for ps2 games. If the kid really wanted the PS3, what right do you have in trying to convince his parents that he should get the Wii? Now that kid may end up with a gift this Xmas that he doesn't want and could have had the system he really wanted instead.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

ssj12 said:
fazz said:
@naznatips:

I would've kicked you the hell out of my store :P

Do stores get more... how is it called... "revenue" from PS3 games? Or are they just fanboys?

they do

also store employ is probably trying to get more points for the sony rewards program. More points they earn by selling Sony products the more things Sony will give them. Like 1 million Reward points = ford mustang with a PS3 entertainment system setup built in.

*BZZT* WRONG, As a former Gamestop employee I must point out that they encourage Wii sales because when they sell a Wii they recieve a minor profit, GameStop buys PS3's for 500 dollars and sells PS3's for 500 dollars. They encourage you to sell lower priced systems if a customer is torn to gain their trust as well. 

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

naznatips said:
I might as well post this here, because I had an interesting conversation in gamestop the other day but didn't really want to make a whole topic for it. I was in there playing the Super Mario Galaxy demo when a woman (probably in her mid to late 30s) came in. She went to the clerk and this conversation ensued:

Woman: I'm looking for the game system with the motion controls.

Clerk: Oh, that's the Playstation 3.

Me (pausing the SMG demo in minor amusement): Actually there are two consoles with motion controls. The Playstation 3 and the Wii. Are you looking for the small white one or the big black one?

Woman (confused): I was looking for the one where you swing the controller to play tennis and bowling and stuff. I'm looking for a game system for our whole family to play.

Clerk: The Playstation 3 has downloadable games like that, and it's full of great family friendly games.

Me (now greatly entertained by where this is heading): If you are looking for the one that comes with 5 motion controlled sports game included, that's the Wii, but if you are looking for the one that plays Blu-ray movies and has better graphics, that's the playstation 3.

Woman: What's Blu-ray?

Clerk (visually upset): It's a disc type that makes games have better graphics and play better.

Me (trying not to laugh at this point): No, Blu-ray is a high definition movie format which has extra media storage space and can be played in 1080p on an HDTV. The Playstation 3 can play these movies.

Woman: Oh, okay. Well we already have a DVD player. I just want something to play games with. Which one is the cheapest?

Clerk (nervously): Well the Playstation 3 just came down in price to $400.

Me: The Ninendo Wii is $250 and comes with a pack-in game called Wii sports, which is most likely the sports games you were thinking of. Much of its game library is family friendly. The Playstation 3 is $400 at the cheapest and doesn't come with any games, although there are some family friendly games on it like Ratchet and Clank, there aren't a whole lot of family friendly multiplayer games for it.

Clerk (now obviously angry): You'll find much better games like Resistance and Heavenly Sword on the PS3.

Me: Sorry, but if you are looking for family games, those are very graphic and gorey and may not appeal to kids.

Woman (seemingly picking up on the clerk's desperation): I'm pretty sure the Wii is the one I was thinking of.

Clerk: Well we are sold out anyway.

Woman (to me): Thanks for your help. Do you know where I can find a Wii.

Me: Just check stores on Sunday. That's when most of them stock their shipments. Good luck.

(woman leaves)

Clerk: Get out if you're not going to buy anything!

Ah, I love when I see store clerks try to sell their favorite system any way they can. It's always funny to watch it blow up in their face too.

Great story :)

@jjseth: Who cares if they ban you from a single store? I would have done the same as nazna did, provided I had the balls for it at the moment. And it's not "telling one side of the story" when you say that the PS3 is the cheapest console.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

jjseth said:
Naz.. I would have kicked you out of the store before that point. When it comes to sales you sell what you have, not what you don't have and won't likely get many in. I'd also post up there at the store to ban you from ever entering the store again. They are there to make money and you don't know why that sales person was telling the person about the PS3 instead of the Wii.

Sure, the salesperson is being deceptive and only telling one side of the story, but when it comes to sales (especially if you are on commission) you push what you have. That's an ethics question they will have to answer themselves and deal with. Not by having someone playing games with no intent to purchase anything talk their customers out of a potential sale and try to give an ethics lesson to them.

If it were me and someone working at a store was doing their best to sell a person on a Wii instead of a PS3 that they were really looking for I'd just stand back, play the demo and laugh quietly everytime they said something bogus. And if they were lying about something that only the PS3 has and the Wii doesn't like a particular game. I may ask them when that game they lied about comes out for the PS3, or if they have any in stock. But I'd do it in another manner instead of getting into a heated debate with the sales monkey.

Shams, I do have to admit, that you should have mentioned to the lady about the 60gb version that does have bc for ps2 games. If the kid really wanted the PS3, what right do you have in trying to convince his parents that he should get the Wii? Now that kid may end up with a gift this Xmas that he doesn't want and could have had the system he really wanted instead.

They are NOT getting any commission. (AKA clerk = fanboy)

Or the kid might get a really cool system that has games on it now, kids are impatient, they dont wanna wait till late 08. The 60 gig is sold out as far as most retailers go (except for circuit city, anyone wanna tell me if the 60 is 400 or not?) 

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Good job, naznatips. If I were you, after playing the heck out of Galaxy, I would have went and purchased some old PS2 game for 3 bucks. Then when he started pitching pre-orders, strat guides, Game Informer, respond to each one with a loud, momotone "No thank you" while keeping a blank face. Then ask him how to contact the regional manager about his misleading customers and telling you to leave the store. :)

I've had to shame a few GameStop employess in my time. The last time was when an employee kept asking me about buying upcoming PS2 and X Box games. Although I own both a PS2 and X Box, after a few minutes I told him that I was more of a GameCube guy, to which I got the standard "for kids" line. I gingerly took him by the proverbial hand and told him that as a person who had been gaming since the 80's, many hardcore titles that had stood the test of time were available only on the Cube, as were many innovative titles that I crave, as I can't stand playing the same genres over and over. I then told him that since he seemed to play only sports games and shooters, I could see why he liked the X Box so much, but he should try the spectacular X Box games Panzer Dragoon Orta and Shenmue II. I don't think he had even heard of either one of them...

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."