By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata: 4-Year Console Cycle 'Too Inflexible' (?)

johnlucas said:
z64dan said:
What I got from it is, Nintendo will release a new console when they feel the time is right.

Maybe the time will be in 2009, maybe it will be in 2011, maybe 2015

It sure as hell won't be 2009 I can tell you that. And I don't see 2011 either.

I always knew Nintendo was going to undo the traditional 5 year cycle with this system because of what it represents. 2015 is actually more accurate as to when the next Nintendo system will come out (whatever THAT may be).

They laughed at me when I said 240,000,000 minimum and folks don't know but I saw that number for the 5 year cycle. The longer Nintendo goes with the Wii, the more that number grows.

The ironic thing is that if any console has a chance of seeing a 10 year lifespan, it's the Wii.

And also strangely enough, Wii might the be system that also does its own form of convergence!

Wouldn't that be a shocker?

John Lucas 

LOL 240.000.000 minimum? gna*lol*gnagna

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

nintendo have never released a machine before they are ready to, this has been a problem in the past since they were still in the same market as their competitors. Things are very different now though.

I dont think sony were ready to release the PS3 just yet but they were forced into an early release by the fear of the 360 gaining too much market. That may explain the messy hardware and marketing.
I think if sony had their way the PS3 would be just hitting the market, with the PS2 having a really big christmas, gotta be better than this mess surely.

In some ways nintendo needed to replace the GC sooner than MS and the Xbox, but they didnt, they took their time and released it when they wanted to, this time its worked well anyway but in a market of a PS4 and a xbox3 with motion controls and so on, im not sure they would have it so easy a second time.

If the Wii is still selling well in 2015 then I can agree with you John, it'll come down to sales, as long as the Wii continues to sell at a decent pace I see no reason for nintendo to release a new console

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

lol ... tomorrow we will see a surprise announcement claiming that the Wii 2 is comming this holiday due to Wii hardware manufacturing problems :P

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

proplem is if motion controls do prove to be successfully long term then these are gonna improve just as fast as graphics did and PS4, Xbox 720 will make the Wii look more dated as we all know the wiis controls aren't perfect (until I see a boxing game that can detect an uppercut i'll decide otherwise).

If this were to happen then Nintendo would need to release a new console but they'd be in the position of being able to offer backwards capability of the current Wii games.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

Around the Network

I think one of the reason's the wii can last unusually long is that it isn't powerful, it will become an inexpensive lifestyle type of an item, things like wii-fit don't require super complex ai or 1000Trillion polygon's per second, but are a life style type of item, nor will game developers be forced to constantly push more visuals
I see the wii as becoming it's own industry, sort of a third category, it will be more than a video game machine, but at the same time only a video game machine,
So the wii can have a longer life cycle and I"m sure nintendo knows that

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nine0nine said:
nintendo have never released a machine before they are ready to, this has been a problem in the past since they were still in the same market as their competitors. Things are very different now though.

I dont think sony were ready to release the PS3 just yet but they were forced into an early release by the fear of the 360 gaining too much market. That may explain the messy hardware and marketing.
I think if sony had their way the PS3 would be just hitting the market, with the PS2 having a really big christmas, gotta be better than this mess surely.

In some ways nintendo needed to replace the GC sooner than MS and the Xbox, but they didnt, they took their time and released it when they wanted to, this time its worked well anyway but in a market of a PS4 and a xbox3 with motion controls and so on, im not sure they would have it so easy a second time.

I never saw that as a problem. I respected Nintendo for going the full 5 before going to the next system win or lose. I saw that as respect for the buyers so as not to jerk them around unnecessarily. It also shows that they are in control instead of others controlling them.

Sega aborted and jumpstarted systems too soon and look at where it got them. Nintendo goes for the long-term solution not the short term solution. And that's just one of many reasons why I never worry when I buy their products. I hate janky companies.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!