By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon Soul ?? Why didn't I heard anything about it....

demonfox13 said:
Senlis said:
jarypo_87 said:
Senlis said:
I've seen many threads made about Demon's Souls. You must have missed them like I missed the really early ones.

It doesn't deserve to beat Dragon Age, but knowing Gamespot, they probably considered the console version of Demon's Souls instead of the PC version.

it really does. Dragon Age is exactly the same as every other bioware RPG. They've made the same game like, 12 times now.

That is true, but it really comes down to preference.  I was disappointed with Demon's Souls, as they seemed more interested in making a challenging game rather than a well designed game.  It seems that many "hardcore" gamers believe the game is good simply because it is hard, and that is not the case.

At least Dragon Age builds upon previous D&D game to bring about an evolved, well refined game.

You have fallen under the trap of misconception. It is true the game may end up overwhelming for some that miss the true point of the game, so allow me to explain it further. The game is difficult as first, there is no denying it, but it is a unique experience for an RPG. If you were pitted in those kingdoms with just the initial story to go by, what decisions will you make? Who will you communicate with? Who will you free? Surt, the Silent Chief?, Can Patches, the Hyena be trusted? Is it worth going through the trouble to rescue Rydell? Who was Mephistopheles? Why her hatred for Biorr, of the twin fangs?.

There are alot of questions you ask yourself that are not so simple as getting a buncha story thrown in front of you. Like being thrown in a "real life" situation in that kingdom where not all the answers are clear. I don't know about you but THAT was the true D&D experience that I played with my older brother as the game master back in the day (sometimes his friends) with some paper and some die. Black World Tendency and White World Tendency can make a huge difference on your gameplay experience and the story you get IF you dive deeper in. THAT is immersion and it is THAT which makes Demon's Souls more of a unique experience. Dragon Age is the same as every bioware game. Is it a bad game? No, by no means, it also has greatness written in it, but I already played KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate games, neverwinter nights, etc, and DA:O follows the same exact path. It didn't revolutionize, it didn't evolve much at all and little was truly refined about it with very mediocre AI. Again, it was not a bad game, and for what it was, it was another good Bioware game. But to disregard the depth of Demon's Souls in both gameplay and story which is completely tied in to your own actions and dialogue, definitely shows a sense of ignorance.

My issues are more with the gameplay. 

Around the Network
Xen said:
Kudistos Megistos said:

Simple answer:

It hasn't been released in Europe.

It seems we're getting a raw deal when it comes to RPGs once again. It's just like the 16-bit era

And when you do get them, you buy twice, thrice, ten times less. Look at Persona 4 NA vs Others... VC NA vs Others.. Tales of Vesperia 360 NA vs Others...

Buy them, receive them. And fuck, you have a PS3, IMPORT FROM NA.

Yeah, the sales are pretty disappointing here, which is strange, since most of the more hardcore RPG fans I know are European (a lot of them seem to be Norwegian; of course, that's just my personal experience). Maybe there's a vicious circle; RPGs aren't pushed very hard in Europe, so their sales are low. Their sales are low, so Europe isn't seen as much of a potential market and games either aren't released or aren't advertised much. Until that circle is broken somehow, RPGs will continue to be a niche market here

demonfox13 said:
outlawauron said:
jarypo_87 said:
Torillian said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=31689

That's a good synopsis of what the game is about. Otherwise someone else will come in and write it out in a shorter version for a post.

This review is really poorly written. I suggest checking out Gamespots or IGN's review of the game.

You are such an ass.

(I'll also say that this might be the first time I've ever cursed while posting, but man this post deserves it.)

Actually what he says is true to an extent and he's not being an "ass" for pointing it out. Outside the backstory given, as you play ALOT of story starts popping out at you while you are experiencing it. Gamespot is perhaps one of the most unbiased and objective as well as reputable sites out there. Not saying Vgchartz shouldn't get any credit, as I feel more in touch with the mods and the community. There tends to be extensive details when it comes to reviews, where good and bad initially gets sumarized and then it's truly broken down with minor spoilers. Did you know Ostrava being the son of king allant wanted to attempt to save his kingdom and bring his father back from that darkness that plagued him? That Yurt, the Silent Chief betrayed all the holders of the archstones, hence why the Rock that leads to his kingdom is broken (and he betrays you)? Executioner Miralda lost what little sanity she had after the fog? etc, etc, etc. They may have taken a minimalistic approach when it comes to throwing a buncha cut scenes, but the story is actually thrown in your face as you play and EXPERIENCE it, something that was failed to be mentioned here. So no, he is not an "ass" for pointing out truth.

No, he is. He was just offering his opinion and posted a link to his review.

Then some random dude coming along saying, no that review sucks, go look at this one! That is a jerk move. Please, spare me the defense of Gamespot or IGN, I don't need it.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SolidSnitch said:

Well I was browsing Gamespot GOY awards and at the best RPG award I was sure it was supposed to be Dragon age but its Demon Soul.....check the reviews and it seems like it got 9.0 average and some excellent users review, so why didn't I ever heard of this game during the year, is it any good ? Why wasn't it talked about more ? Oh yeah and it won for the best PS3 game this year, over KZ2 and Uncharted2, wtf !?!?!

I'm tempted to buy this game but not sure what it is all about...

I bought it

it is quite good, you will not regret (or at least I m not regretting it)

it is just a bit obscur at the start "what do i have to do ?"

Time to Work !

Looks like you missed a Monster Truck passing right in front of ya. (On VgChartz.com)

Around the Network

Well I've gone to a bunch of stores today and can't find it, its weird, is this game sold in Canada ?

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

SolidSnitch said:
Well I've gone to a bunch of stores today and can't find it, its weird, is this game sold in Canada ?

It seems to be availible at Amazon's Canadian site.

Thanks, just ordered it ;) Can't wait to try it.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Kudistos Megistos said:
SolidSnitch said:

I like the one guy's review on the amazon page:

"This game's like a really hot girl that's completely crazy, treats you like s&%t, carries a knife and may or may not get stabby on you; not that I've ever experienced that. And let's face it, if you're reading video game reviews, that analogy refers to what may as well be an urban legend to you."

I agree with this guys review I bought this game a couple months ago (had to go to 6 different stores) because it said how "hard" it was, I love RPG's and I was thinking, "Come on it can't be that bad..."

I think Ctrl+Alt+Del's comic sums the game up pretty well:
http://www.cad-comic.com/sillies/20091023

Haven't touched the game since I got to NG, game difficulty went up seriously crazy and I didn't have my points spread out well..  Will probably go back to the game next year sometime after the crazy amount of day one purchase games that come out in the next 3 months.

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Tanstalas said:
Kudistos Megistos said:
SolidSnitch said:

I like the one guy's review on the amazon page:

"This game's like a really hot girl that's completely crazy, treats you like s&%t, carries a knife and may or may not get stabby on you; not that I've ever experienced that. And let's face it, if you're reading video game reviews, that analogy refers to what may as well be an urban legend to you.

HA HA HA, OH WOW!

That's one of the best endorsements of a game that I've ever heard!