By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon Soul ?? Why didn't I heard anything about it....

SolidSnitch said:

Well I was browsing Gamespot GOY awards and at the best RPG award I was sure it was supposed to be Dragon age but its Demon Soul.....check the reviews and it seems like it got 9.0 average and some excellent users review, so why didn't I ever heard of this game during the year, is it any good ? Why wasn't it talked about more ?

I'm tempted to buy this game but not sure what it is all about...

Ok, I will be honest with you, it is a niche game. It is a game that takes you back to the days of gaming when games didn't hold your hand. The story is vast but subtle in the sense that you don't sit there through cut scenes but you understand the story as you live it (and trust me, it's a vast story). It is a hard game and to some it can be brutal. You will die ALOT, but you will learn. The combat is straight forward but has a realistic feel. The weapons and armor have a realistic feel to them. There is a good amount of weapon upgradeability, vast amounts of armor, and huge character customization. It is a non-linear game, in all aspects with 2 endings, new game +, and unique multiplayer and pvp online, etc.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

Around the Network
jarypo_87 said:
Torillian said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=31689

That's a good synopsis of what the game is about. Otherwise someone else will come in and write it out in a shorter version for a post.

This review is really poorly written. I suggest checking out Gamespots or IGN's review of the game.

You are such an ass.

(I'll also say that this might be the first time I've ever cursed while posting, but man this post deserves it.)

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I've seen many threads made about Demon's Souls. You must have missed them like I missed the really early ones.

It doesn't deserve to beat Dragon Age, but knowing Gamespot, they probably considered the console version of Demon's Souls instead of the PC version.

Senlis said:
I've seen many threads made about Demon's Souls. You must have missed them like I missed the really early ones.

It doesn't deserve to beat Dragon Age, but knowing Gamespot, they probably considered the console version of Demon's Souls instead of the PC version.

it really does. Dragon Age is exactly the same as every other bioware RPG. They've made the same game like, 12 times now.

Demon's Souls brought innovation, Dragon Age didn't.

Demon's Souls is one of the greatest games to be released this generation, it was a unique experience I probably won't come across for years to come.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

Around the Network
jarypo_87 said:
Senlis said:

it really does. Dragon Age is exactly the same as every other bioware RPG. They've made the same game like, 12 times now.

That is true, but it really comes down to preference.  I was disappointed with Demon's Souls, as they seemed more interested in making a challenging game rather than a well designed game.  It seems that many "hardcore" gamers believe the game is good simply because it is hard, and that is not the case.

At least Dragon Age builds upon previous D&D game to bring about an evolved, well refined game.

outlawauron said:
jarypo_87 said:
Torillian said:
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/gamereviewdisp.php?id=31689

That's a good synopsis of what the game is about. Otherwise someone else will come in and write it out in a shorter version for a post.

This review is really poorly written. I suggest checking out Gamespots or IGN's review of the game.

You are such an ass.

(I'll also say that this might be the first time I've ever cursed while posting, but man this post deserves it.)

Actually what he says is true to an extent and he's not being an "ass" for pointing it out. Outside the backstory given, as you play ALOT of story starts popping out at you while you are experiencing it. Gamespot is perhaps one of the most unbiased and objective as well as reputable sites out there. Not saying Vgchartz shouldn't get any credit, as I feel more in touch with the mods and the community. There tends to be extensive details when it comes to reviews, where good and bad initially gets sumarized and then it's truly broken down with minor spoilers. Did you know Ostrava being the son of king allant wanted to attempt to save his kingdom and bring his father back from that darkness that plagued him? That Yurt, the Silent Chief betrayed all the holders of the archstones, hence why the Rock that leads to his kingdom is broken (and he betrays you)? Executioner Miralda lost what little sanity she had after the fog? etc, etc, etc. They may have taken a minimalistic approach when it comes to throwing a buncha cut scenes, but the story is actually thrown in your face as you play and EXPERIENCE it, something that was failed to be mentioned here. So no, he is not an "ass" for pointing out truth.

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.

i live in Europe and imported it from Canada (it is region free).
Atlus never promotes his games very good.
For me, the rave reviews and the comments on the forum made me decide to import it.

now it is winning GOTY overall prices like on gamespot it does get more attention.
And it totally deserves it.

Senlis said:
jarypo_87 said:
Senlis said:

That is true, but it really comes down to preference.  I was disappointed with Demon's Souls, as they seemed more interested in making a challenging game rather than a well designed game.  It seems that many "hardcore" gamers believe the game is good simply because it is hard, and that is not the case.

At least Dragon Age builds upon previous D&D game to bring about an evolved, well refined game.

You have fallen under the trap of misconception. It is true the game may end up overwhelming for some that miss the true point of the game, so allow me to explain it further. The game is difficult as first, there is no denying it, but it is a unique experience for an RPG. If you were pitted in those kingdoms with just the initial story to go by, what decisions will you make? Who will you communicate with? Who will you free? Surt, the Silent Chief?, Can Patches, the Hyena be trusted? Is it worth going through the trouble to rescue Rydell? Who was Mephistopheles? Why her hatred for Biorr, of the twin fangs?.

There are alot of questions you ask yourself that are not so simple as getting a buncha story thrown in front of you. Like being thrown in a "real life" situation in that kingdom where not all the answers are clear. I don't know about you but THAT was the true D&D experience that I played with my older brother as the game master back in the day (sometimes his friends) with some paper and some die. Black World Tendency and White World Tendency can make a huge difference on your gameplay experience and the story you get IF you dive deeper in. THAT is immersion and it is THAT which makes Demon's Souls more of a unique experience. Dragon Age is the same as every bioware game. Is it a bad game? No, by no means, it also has greatness written in it, but I already played KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate games, neverwinter nights, etc, and DA:O follows the same exact path. It didn't revolutionize, it didn't evolve much at all and little was truly refined about it with very mediocre AI. Again, it was not a bad game, and for what it was, it was another good Bioware game. But to disregard the depth of Demon's Souls in both gameplay and story which is completely tied in to your own actions and dialogue, definitely shows a sense of ignorance.

demonfox13 said:
Senlis said:
jarypo_87 said:
Senlis said:

You have fallen under the trap of misconception. It is true the game may end up overwhelming for some that miss the true point of the game, so allow me to explain it further. The game is difficult as first, there is no denying it, but it is a unique experience for an RPG. If you were pitted in those kingdoms with just the initial story to go by, what decisions will you make? Who will you communicate with? Who will you free? Surt, the Silent Chief?, Can Patches, the Hyena be trusted? Is it worth going through the trouble to rescue Rydell? Who was Mephistopheles? Why her hatred for Biorr, of the twin fangs?.

There are alot of questions you ask yourself that are not so simple as getting a buncha story thrown in front of you. Like being thrown in a "real life" situation in that kingdom where not all the answers are clear. I don't know about you but THAT was the true D&D experience that I played with my older brother as the game master back in the day (sometimes his friends) with some paper and some die. Black World Tendency and White World Tendency can make a huge difference on your gameplay experience and the story you get IF you dive deeper in. THAT is immersion and it is THAT which makes Demon's Souls more of a unique experience. Dragon Age is the same as every bioware game. Is it a bad game? No, by no means, it also has greatness written in it, but I already played KOTOR, Jade Empire, Baldur's Gate games, neverwinter nights, etc, and DA:O follows the same exact path. It didn't revolutionize, it didn't evolve much at all and little was truly refined about it with very mediocre AI. Again, it was not a bad game, and for what it was, it was another good Bioware game. But to disregard the depth of Demon's Souls in both gameplay and story which is completely tied in to your own actions and dialogue, definitely shows a sense of ignorance.

Truely brilliant post!

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!