By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - pirated games of 2009 with numbers (mw2 5.1m)

stage was owned yet again:p just like in the "milestone" thread..

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Shoestar said:
A lot of people don't buy PS3s because simply, it's impossible to play pirated games on them. Some people only buy a few pirated games... they only buy originals when they want to play that game online.

bullshit. A lot of people are buying PS3's because the games are there and the price dropped. This is where the pirate demons follow. They will eventually crack it.

As for PC gaming those numbers were predictable.

You are not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you? oh well... a little bit of statistics for you :)

The X360 was hacked in the 1st year it came out with less than 5mil X360 sold... 

The Wii was hacked within 6 months it came out with less than 10 mil units sold.  

The PS3 has been out for over 3 years, sold over 30 mil units (only 5mil units approx less than the x360). Sells more than the X360 World Wide every year except its launch year with only reason while it is trailing behind is because it launched a year later than the X360. Fact, the PS3 is not hacked simply because it's freakin damn hard to do... MUCH MUCH harder than anything that existed prior to it...  It isn't because of sales numbers that the PS3 wasn't hacked.

Moreover, I could search for the thousand of articles describing how MS screwed up with the security leaks, and how complicated the hardware security for the PS3 is and list a few of these articles for you... but ur not significant enough :)

You're obviously not getting my point and secondly I do not respond to ad hominem attacks. The The 360 was at a somewhat fair market price the instant it launched. The PS3 was nowhere in that ballpark and took it three years just to reach market price. This makes it easier for hackers and potential pirates to mod and get their hands on newer games. The PS3 firmware has long since been cracked (in 2007).  The main reason it isn't spreading like the 360 is because the 360 is DVD-9 and the PS3. Recording Blu Ray discs would cost just under actual sales price to copy/burn (somewhere around $40). The size of the disc space also hurts the need for piracy on a PS3. Third of all, if you are caught with a hacked PS3 game Sony will ban you. For the few people who are dumb enough to do that it wont be hard enough for Sony to wipe the slate clean with them. Microsoft have/ and continue to axe plenty of people, but when it starts the bug is hard to stop.

Sony is just as bad as Microsoft. The only difference is its pointless to burn blu ray discs. It's just too expensive. You know nothing of what you speak, especially if you believe their firmware hasn't been hacked.

Again, you astound me with your ignorance. Did you know that a Blu-ray disc sells for less than $4-5? PS3 games are unhackable and haven't been playable ever since the PS3 came out... However, a great many pirated MOVIES burnt on Blu-ray discs are being sold. The price? $8/Movie. The price of an original Blu-ray movie is about $70-$80. The price of an original PS3 game is about $100-140. Obviously, the price of Movies in the US are about $35 and games at $50-60 each but even you can see the significant price difference between a blank BRD and a full priced Game/Movie.

I travel a lot, and during my last trip to the UK, I saw Blu-ray discs for less than 3 pounds each... 

All this to point out the fallacy in your logic.

And to your other point, The X360 was hacked when it was about $450($500 depending on your region). It never even had a price cut before it was hacked. The X360 was hacked in 2006. The PS3 has been below $450 since 2007. Again, you logic is flawed beyond measure. I suggest you refrain from posting again... or at the very least, google a bit your points and purge your statements of any "FUD".

I see we like to find minor mistakes in our arguments don't we? I'll play your little game (instead of stooping to your level with ad hominem attacks) The Xbox 360 was never $500 (since you're using dollars). It was $399 which was a fair asking price during 2005 and sold pretty well even though not very many people thought they could trust Microsoft. The Elite launched at $399 as well and the arcade launched at $279. My biggest mistake was not pointing out at what time my info came from which was around 2007. I couldn't care less for gaming piracy today so that research ended there. If you want to feel superior go talk to someone who you've managed to make believe they've somehow fallen beneath you.

P.S.

I don't care how much you've traveled either. This is my last talk with you....you definitely are classless.   

First of all, yes, I'm using the $ as a default monetary value for measurement. All countries in the world do not use the $. I said it launched at up to $500 "DEPENDING on your region". Did you know that the Euro is significantly stronger than the US$? Hence, when the X360 Launched at 399 Euros + live, it ends up being something close to $500 + LIVE?

In the US, it launched at $399 + $50 live subscription = $449 vs the $499 all inclusive launch of the PS3(comparable - not the $600). We are after all comparing likewise value, are we not?

Regardless, how can you even even make a valid statement when you say that you research came from 2007 when the PS3 came out on November 17th 2006 in the US...? Do you realise how limited any opinion/argument you make is when you are blatantly choosing to ignore over 60% of the data just to try to defend your point?

More importantly... it doesn't matter anymore... you just admitted yourself that your argument is flawed by claiming you only have info of 1 out of the 3 years. Ignorance is not an excuse...

(reason for edit: fixed typos, wrote 399 instead of 400 in case I get bugged for inaccuracy)

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
ChichiriMuyo said:
How, exactly, does it cost $40 to burn a BR disc? You can get them for well under $4. Are we counting in electricity, Internet, and hardware costs as well, or something? If it's $40 to burn a BR is it $5 to burn a DVD?

Seriously, where are you pulling this number from? I just typed "blu ray burnable disc" into Google and one of the first things I saw was an offer for 25 BR discs for $29. Even if you were looking at the more expensive dual layer BR discs it only takes a quick look at Newegg to see that those are available for under $20. And on top of that, you'd only need 2 of them since the only games that big on the PS3 are MGS4 and FF13.

Seriously, no unnecessary attacks like that other guy, you don't seem to know much of what you're talking about stage. You're just plain dead wrong on the facts, and as such there's simply no justification for your belief. BR burning is not that expensive, hasn't been for quite some time now, and the fact that hacking console hardware can make you some serious money makes it unlikely that the costs were ever an issue to begin with. It's the security that PS3 has, plain and simple. The fact that there's an entire processor that functions as a security measure and nothing else should speak to that.

Well around the time the PS3 was hacked it was forty with sets and depending on the size the BR took up. I checked recently and its down to like 12.99 each on Quill.com. Some places give you like 25-50 dollars now for sets, but there is still no point. If you are dumb enough to get a hacked game on PSN it will be easy for Sony to find you. It is much harder for Microsoft since really inexpensive to get things done on a DVD-9. 

Source: http://www.quill.com/catalog/browse/sku.aspx?SKU=166454&Find_Number=BNR25&PageType=1&cm_mmc=NAT-_-Yahoo-_-12blankcomputermedia-_-sku

By your logic, I'm sure I could find a PS3 being sold at $1000 from someone, somewhere, in the world.... You are just looking at the most expensive place to buy a Blu-ray disc... Even here, in a very expensive place to live(in terms of electronics), I can get a blank blu-ray disc for less than $7.

I checked on Amazon, they have constant sales of BRD.  For example: Link

For example, at Amazon's price, BRDs are at less than $3/piece.

You can check other online retailers, not us US, link sells it for about AUD 9.

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

you guys realize that you are arguing about piracy and how much a blank blu ray costs right now right? just checking.

wyvers said:
vlad321 said:
Quoting myself from another topic:

I for one am REALLY REALLY happy with the MW2 numbers. Serves those idiots at Activision right. I certainly hope it got pirated more than it sold on the PC.

Before anyone says "ZOMG PC PIRACY!!111eleven" notice that all top 5 of the games on the PC sucked the big one hard, except maybe the Sims, which probably sold more than Thriller....

I just don't get this philosophy, are all your brains hurting?

If you are against the product, you could be happy that it doesn't sell well.

Why are you happy that it has been pirated?

Do you want every politician you don't want to vote to be shot or do you just don't give him your vote?

See, not only do I not igive him my vote, but i vote for the other. Same with piracy. The way I see it, if you pirate it you vote for the alternative. If you don't buy nor pirate you just don't vote at all.

Thankfully, MW2 got pirated a whole lot and it will continue to do so.

@BladeofGod

MW2 was utter shit. It was basically a direct console port with nothing else for the PC, in other words shit, it deserved to be pirated hell of a lot more than it already has and sold many many millions less.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
wyvers said:
vlad321 said:

I for one am REALLY REALLY happy with the MW2 numbers. Serves those idiots at Activision right. I certainly hope it got pirated more than it sold on the PC.

Before anyone says "ZOMG PC PIRACY!!111eleven" notice that all top 5 of the games on the PC sucked the big one hard, except maybe the Sims, which probably sold more than Thriller....

Do you want every politician you don't want to vote to be shot or do you just don't give him your vote?

See, not only do I not igive him my vote, but i vote for the other. Same with piracy. The way I see it, if you pirate it you vote for the alternative. If you don't buy nor pirate you just don't vote at all.

@BladeofGod

MW2 was utter shit. It was basically a direct console port with nothing else for the PC, in other words shit, it deserved to be pirated hell of a lot more than it already has and sold many many millions less.

vlad you are my main man i theese forums for your posts lately, finally someone that sees downloading about the same way i do and understand it and its impacts and is not brainwashed with downloading is pirating and its all bad and blindly refuses to see the benefits from it existing.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

vlad321 said:
wyvers said:
vlad321 said:

@BladeofGod

If you pirate you just break the law...

That's about all there is to it. You can try to disguise it as much as you can but that's what you are....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

vlad321 said:
wyvers said:
vlad321 said:

@BladeofGod

That's about all there is to it. You can try to disguise it as much as you can but that's what you are....

Stop trying to make people believe you are the modern Robin Hood, because you are not it......

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Ail said:
vlad321 said:
wyvers said:
vlad321 said:

@BladeofGod

Yes, and in Nazi Germany it was illegal to not kill jews... I guess that makes killing jews just fine then.

You are picking even more at straws here with the whole "legal" issue. It isn't even illegal everywhere.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Ail said:
vlad321 said:
wyvers said:
vlad321 said:

@BladeofGod

Yes, and in Nazi Germany it was illegal to not kill jews... I guess that makes killing jews just fine then.

You are picking even more at straws here with the whole "legal" issue. It isn't even illegal everywhere.

It was not illegal to abstain from killing Jews in Nazi Germany....

The only places piracy is not illegal is in like Sweden and other very lax countries.

The point is, every supposed good reason for pirating has a perfectly good non-pirating solution.  You pirate it to try it out?  That's what demos are for.  You pirate it because you think it sucks?  Don't play it then...  You pirate it to show it is not worth the price?  How about rent it or in the case of PC games, just wait to get it when it is cheaper.  You can't afford to play all the great games?  Get a job.  You vote with your dollar, not with your download. 

Buying = vote.  Not buying or buying an alternative/competitor = vote.  Download = free loader that thinks they don't have to vote and should get whatever they think they deserve.