By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 720p Versus 1080p HDTVs. The Facts

I just bought a 40in 1080p and I can tell the difference in the image displayed. All in all almost every LCD tv now support 1080p when your going 32in+ or the cost will probably be minimal between the two so why not.
In a plasma tv its different.

My favorite games for this gen:

1. Gears of War    2. MGS4    3. Killzone 2   4. Halo 3(Underated by many)      5. Mass Effect

Around the Network
numonex said:

Did some research. Very interesting, essential reading:

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Basically, 720p is probably the best choice for any screen 50 inches and under.
Tv is broadcast in 720p.
Consoles are 720p.
Blu-Ray is 1080p, but the difference is minor.

I have been saying the same thing for over a year.  But for some people around here think that this is BS.  I have actually set up 2 46inch HDTV's beside each other 1 that was1080p and 1 720p and there wasn't much of a difference if any (sitting around 6-9 feet from the tvs).

But there is a noticeable difference on my 56 inch JVC.

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

o___o; lawl. Numonex, please, stop making threads... or at least do proper research before you do.

Why do people care so much about pixel resolution? My monitor kills "HD" at 1440x900.

Squilliam said:
Next generation is only in a few years and they may all be 1080P consoles. So in that case you're better off with 1080P, 720P is likely to be a short lived standard from here on out.

Heehee, you said it.

Around the Network

I live in ignorant bliss and a fat wallet.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

damndl0ser said:
numonex said:

Did some research. Very interesting, essential reading:

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

Basically, 720p is probably the best choice for any screen 50 inches and under.
Tv is broadcast in 720p.
Consoles are 720p.
Blu-Ray is 1080p, but the difference is minor.

I have been saying the same thing for over a year.  But for some people around here think that this is BS.  I have actually set up 2 46inch HDTV's beside each other 1 that was1080p and 1 720p and there wasn't much of a difference if any (sitting around 6-9 feet from the tvs).

But there is a noticeable difference on my 56 inch JVC.

again, the veiwing distance/size/reslution combo is really what matters. You just stated you had 2 TVs, at 2 resolutions, at 6-9 ft, but for all we know they are 21" screens, which then you'd be right.

I have a 32" TV at ~7-9 ft, and I will admit that I couldn't tell the difference between 1080 and 720, hence why I own a 720p TV.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Barozi said:
nordlead said:

1) Basically, 720p is probably the best choice for any screen 50 inches and under.
2) Tv is broadcast in 720p.
3) Consoles are 720p.
4) Blu-Ray is 1080p, but the difference is minor.

1) not true. The reality is that the screen size and sitting distance determine the resolution needed for the average consumer. Any knowledgable consumer should figure out the sitting distance and the size of screen they are going to purchase, and then determine if they can notice a difference between 720 & 1080. Most won't, but some might be able to. You can also use a chart like this one to help you determine what will be cost effective.

2) not true. TV is broadcast in 720p and 1080i, with most channels using 1080i in my area (fox is the only 720p). LCD screens have a native resolution, so being forced to scale from 1080i down to 720p can be bad (if you have a cheap TV). If you want to use that argument, then a good consumer would do research first to determine what the resolution will be for their input source.

3) not true. The PS3 can output 1080p. Not very many games support 1080p, but a few do.

4) this really comes down to point 1 and doesn't make any sense in posting it.

the 360 can do 1080p too......

Yes and no. The xbox 360 has a fancy upscaling function that upscales games to 1080p. It can not output native 1080p.

Ok, so i am in the market for a HDTV.

The main purpose of the TV would be for Blu ray movies and PS3 games, like Final Fantasy and things of the sort.

I watched Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Complete on my parents 50+inch HDTV, i think it was a LCD and it looked beautiful. I watched it in 720 because my friend said that 1080i was actually worse than 720p. Something about how 1080i was = 550p or something of the sort. Anyway i have been looking around to see if the difference in 720 and 1080p is truly noticeable and worth the money. I always hear both sides of it and just need someone to shoot me straight so i don't waste my money on a T.V. It would be a tv i would take to college with me in the dorm. As far as money goes, i am willing to save up to high amounts. My first instinct would say get the 1080p, but some would argue otherwise.

Also what are the best brands/ Type of T.V. to go if i am wanting it to last a long time and get the most out of my PS3

Andysw said:
Barozi said:
nordlead said:

1) Basically, 720p is probably the best choice for any screen 50 inches and under.
2) Tv is broadcast in 720p.
3) Consoles are 720p.
4) Blu-Ray is 1080p, but the difference is minor.

1) not true. The reality is that the screen size and sitting distance determine the resolution needed for the average consumer. Any knowledgable consumer should figure out the sitting distance and the size of screen they are going to purchase, and then determine if they can notice a difference between 720 & 1080. Most won't, but some might be able to. You can also use a chart like this one to help you determine what will be cost effective.

2) not true. TV is broadcast in 720p and 1080i, with most channels using 1080i in my area (fox is the only 720p). LCD screens have a native resolution, so being forced to scale from 1080i down to 720p can be bad (if you have a cheap TV). If you want to use that argument, then a good consumer would do research first to determine what the resolution will be for their input source.

3) not true. The PS3 can output 1080p. Not very many games support 1080p, but a few do.

4) this really comes down to point 1 and doesn't make any sense in posting it.

the 360 can do 1080p too......

Yes and no. The xbox 360 has a fancy upscaling function that upscales games to 1080p. It can not output native 1080p.

http://kotaku.com/201816/shane-kim-talks-360-1080p-game-output

Virtua Tennis 3 runs in native 1080p.