By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan as a "region" on VGC?

Ajax said:
TWRoO said:
Ajax said:
kowenicki said:
hatmoza said:
Out of curiosity Kowenicki, what are PS3 Vs 360 sales in the UK alone?

OT I like it the way it is. Three is a charm ^_^ and honestly, I think it would just be more fuel for the console wars on ze forums. Breaking down sales to more regions or categories is not going to help your future arguments which is why I ask that question, so it wasn't curiosity - more like "I see what you did there."

whatever

fact is UK is just as important as japan imo.  and europe is farrr more important.

UK is not more important than Japan;

1. there are hundreds of games made every year specifically for the Japanese market, there are no games made specificially for the British market.

2. succes in Japan will trigger more game development for that succesful platform. Succes in the UK will not make developers make more games for that platform because of the UK.

Not much of what happens in the UK has an influence on developers and publishers. What happens in Japan has much influence.

UK can be seen as a region of NA basically. The taste of the gamers in the UK is much more American than in the rest of Europe.
A reason why the UK is the ONLY sales region/country within Europe where the 360 leads the PS3. And leads significantly.

So developers and publishers probably will include the UK in their strategy for the USA in some way. 

Yes there are... PS2, Wii and DS in particular have UK specific games... nothing compared to Japan of course... I think there were 5000+ unique PS2 games for Japan, but only 3000 for PAL and 2500 for Americas.

That's 3000 for PAL, not for the UK. So how many are there approximately made only for the UK? I have no clue. But it can't be many I guess.

About the Others flag:

an EU flag is not right someone said, because Others is more than the EU. But why a globe? 'cause the world is more than Others. Same situation but the other way around.

Because Europe makes up the major part of the Others sales, I think the EU flag is well justified.

Yes I was just demonstrating your point with the PS2 figures... that many more games were Japan only.

The reason PAL has more than Americas though is due to country specific games like some Singstars.

Around the Network
Ajax said:
TWRoO said:
Ajax said:
kowenicki said:
hatmoza said:

OT I like it the way it is. Three is a charm ^_^ and honestly, I think it would just be more fuel for the console wars on ze forums. Breaking down sales to more regions or categories is not going to help your future arguments which is why I ask that question, so it wasn't curiosity - more like "I see what you did there."

whatever

fact is UK is just as important as japan imo.  and europe is farrr more important.

UK is not more important than Japan;

1. there are hundreds of games made every year specifically for the Japanese market, there are no games made specificially for the British market.

2. succes in Japan will trigger more game development for that succesful platform. Succes in the UK will not make developers make more games for that platform because of the UK.

Not much of what happens in the UK has an influence on developers and publishers. What happens in Japan has much influence.

UK can be seen as a region of NA basically. The taste of the gamers in the UK is much more American than in the rest of Europe.
A reason why the UK is the ONLY sales region/country within Europe where the 360 leads the PS3. And leads significantly.

So developers and publishers probably will include the UK in their strategy for the USA in some way. 

Yes there are... PS2, Wii and DS in particular have UK specific games... nothing compared to Japan of course... I think there were 5000+ unique PS2 games for Japan, but only 3000 for PAL and 2500 for Americas.

That's 3000 for PAL, not for the UK. So how many are there approximately made only for the UK? I have no clue. But it can't be many I guess.

About the Others flag:

an EU flag is not right someone said, because Others is more than the EU. But why a globe? 'cause the world is more than Others. Same situation but the other way around.

Because Europe makes up the major part of the Others sales, I think the EU flag is well justified.

I remeber Buzz UK edition. But there are even games especially for germany like Oktoberfest for Nintendo DS. There are definetly games for UK but japan is another magnitude they have hundreds of games just for them. 

Also.. excluding PS2. JP sits at 56m units, UK at 23m. LTD.

MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:
hatmoza said:

whatever

That's the funniest freakin' thing I've read on Vgchartz in a while.

LOL at Kowenicki!

Seriously though, who discusses the UK  in this site or other site beside the numbers on monday. The best threads on here and gaf is about Japan. The only interesting thing about UK sales is how simular the buying trend is to the US. While we had this year alone:

Wii vs PS3

Monster Hunte 3 ( failure or success)

PS3  Slim ( 150k )

Dragon quest ( 4 million and up)

FFXIII

and more

It's just more to Japan to talk about.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
RolStoppable said:

What do you find more funny? That he said that the UK is just as important as Japan or that he started the sentence with "fact is" and ended it with "imo"?

The latter is fairly common on this forum so presumably the former.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
MontanaHatchet said:
kowenicki said:

whatever

That's the funniest freakin' thing I've read on Vgchartz in a while.

LOL at Kowenicki!

What do you find more funny? That he said that the UK is just as important as Japan or that he started the sentence with "fact is" and ended it with "imo"?

The latter.

Kowenicki must be getting flustered because we don't always agree with everything he says. Poor guy.

If there where reliable asian sales figures other than Japanese we would read about them, so I guess there aren't any, and certainly not weeklies or monthlies.

so no sense in making an Asian chart and filling it with only Japan sales.

''Hadouken!''

RolStoppable said:
kowenicki said:
this forum diminishes by the day.

Hey, don't take it too seriously. We all make mistakes. Remember, I bought DiRT 2. For Wii.

i'm sure he doesn't take it seriously! There is no way his answer to my first post in the thread could have been serious!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Do you think if we separated the UK figures we'd discuss them more often? We barely have discussions on 'others' figures as it is, it's mostly just "The West" and "Japan", with the occasional discussion about Microsoft leaning or Sony leanings in America/Europe.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

That Japan has its own numbers is because of the history and not because of the present.

If japans influence will shrink more and more then it wont have its own numbers. And ioi explained why he has it this way.