By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony- Desperate or Aggressive

kn said:
This is "agressive" behavior by Sony to get consoles sold. Cutting the price of their various SKUs as well as ramping up marketing is aggressive. Period.

On the other hand, Toshiba is doing the same thing with their HD-DVD players but apparently their acts are acts of desperation and not agression.

I'm at a loss to tell which is which so I can't help you.

losing more $ on hardware then the revenue it brings in = desperate.
losing $100/150 on a $600 product to sale more = agressive.

Very simple unless your pro bais towards MS side of things.

Around the Network

Enos, what did I tell you about getting along with the other children?

@enosstory

1. Tell me WHERE you are finding PS3's for $600

2. They used to lose money on PS2 as well.

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Of course their desperate. That's why they are taking aggressive actions. You don't take aggressive actions if you are on top haha. There is no point. YOu only start doing that when your world around starts crippling, and that's what's been happening to the Playstation brand. Thus desperate times call for desperate measures. And all acts of desperation in an economic market have to be aggressive.

EnosStory said:
kn said:
This is "agressive" behavior by Sony to get consoles sold. Cutting the price of their various SKUs as well as ramping up marketing is aggressive. Period.

On the other hand, Toshiba is doing the same thing with their HD-DVD players but apparently their acts are acts of desperation and not agression.

You basically said the same thing, but your bias leads you to two different conclusions.  We don't know if Toshiba or Wal-Mart were taking the loss on the $100 A2's.  We do know, however, that Sony is taking a loss on every PS3 that is sold.

If Toshiba is footing the bill on the losses for the A2, then it's the exact same thing.  They are both losing money to sell a product.  There is no difference whatsoever.  If Toshiba is desperate, then Sony is desperate too.  Your differentiation does not make sense at all, because they are, again, the exact same scenario.  Hopefully you can see this fallacy in your little argument.

Around the Network
darthdevidem said:
@enosstory

1. Tell me WHERE you are finding PS3's for $600

2. They used to lose money on PS2 as well.

2. Of course they didn't have to worry about the units not being sold and bought by retailers and them rotting in their warehouses causing even more losses.  ANd of course then the lack of userbase would cause software sales to diminish. 

I mean come on it's an entirely different scenario.  PS2 was a success from the beginning despite the losses.  While PS3 isn't a success from the beginning with losses.  Meaning in time the PS2 would eventually level out with profits while PS3 doesn't have that same inpending outlook if things stay as they are.  Seriously lets try a better comparison.  

I dont think the playstation brand is dying.. look at the amazing psp!

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

It's like a dog caught in a trap. The aggressive action is to gnaw off its own leg. The desperation is that it's caught. I think Sony is both desperate and aggressive like a dog caught in a trap.

This is normal. Christmas is coming , I can't find now MORE X360, Wii and PS3 commercials on tv.

cowbourne said:
EnosStory said:
kn said:

You basically said the same thing, but your bias leads you to two different conclusions. We don't know if Toshiba or Wal-Mart were taking the loss on the $100 A2's. We do know, however, that Sony is taking a loss on every PS3 that is sold.

If Toshiba is footing the bill on the losses for the A2, then it's the exact same thing. They are both losing money to sell a product. There is no difference whatsoever. If Toshiba is desperate, then Sony is desperate too. Your differentiation does not make sense at all, because they are, again, the exact same scenario. Hopefully you can see this fallacy in your little argument.

Toshiba is losing MORE money then the A2 sales bring in revenue, do you not understand that ?