By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony may have a profitability problem from falling PS3 software sales.

"If we assume the Playstation 3 follows this model then Sony will need to sell about 15 million consoles for the calendar year to show a similar year over year increase that the Wii platform showed during the q4 holiday season."- attainable feat

Around the Network

so ps3 not doing well?

heruamon said:
leo-j said:
Squillium why is it that EVERY SINGLE thread you have made related to the ps3, has been both sacasticly negative towards it, or just plain I hate ps3 towards it

Can't you make one positive thread regarding the word SONY and the acronymn PS in it?

ith a -52K $VG balance, are you seriously asking this question?  Squilliam is providing data, so draw what conslusions you want from it...isntead you jsut whine about a thread...typical.

What data is he providing that is proving anything?  Please enlighten us.

Should you really use up to date, software?, if you use the amount sold on the quarter to compare the total for each console sold, seems kinda weird

WiiU/Wii/3DS/DS/Xbox360/PS3/PSP Owner 
3DS FC: 1032-1246-9162  (Nacho)
Nintendo Network ID: Zap786
If you add me, please let me know to add you back

Train wreck said:
heruamon said:
leo-j said:
Squillium why is it that EVERY SINGLE thread you have made related to the ps3, has been both sacasticly negative towards it, or just plain I hate ps3 towards it

Can't you make one positive thread regarding the word SONY and the acronymn PS in it?

ith a -52K $VG balance, are you seriously asking this question?  Squilliam is providing data, so draw what conslusions you want from it...isntead you jsut whine about a thread...typical.

What data is he providing that is proving anything?  Please enlighten us.

Read the OP...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
dolemit3 said:
The collapsing sales from PS2 and PSP will hurt more

Not really.  While the PSP sales are hurting, they can drop the platform eventually if they want to.  And PS3 SHOULD have been a replacement for PS2 long ago.  There's just 2 major reasons it hasn't been replaced yet.  One, its overwhelming past success which is still keeping it afloat as a viable platform and because the PS3 has yet to perform well enough to allow the PS2 to be retired.

In the end, these figures (as posted by the opening post) just tend to confirm one thing.  That Sony's moves with the PS3 are not a major improvement that will make them overtake its competition or a wild hail mary which somehow made the PS3 more popular, but more of a 'last resort' of price cuts and backdoor deals to just help the PS3 somehow break even.  And even then, it may only hold the system off for a couple years before Sony is once again back to losing muti-millions of dollars, even with a system that has a larger userbase and more third party support.

In a few years, Sony *should* be breaking even on the hardware, so they shouldn't be back to "losing multi-millions of dollars" (they are now, but we're talking about falling momentum causing losses, not the current scenario). In that case, it will be more a case of not being able to earn enough to make up for past losses. In a couple of years though, Sony should not be losing money on the PlayStation 3 per quarter/year etc, it will just be an overall loss (that will either move towards even quickly or slowly, though may never reach it completely).

Coming from squill? I'll file this under non-issue. Let sony worry about SW sales. I don't think you have enough information to come to a conclusion. For example you are taking into consideration of Ps2 SW sales decline but not Ps3 sw sales increase due to the decline. I bet when more people jump on the ps3 band wagon the ps2 games will sell less with ps3 games selling more. Another example the normal decrease on cost of goods that will take place on the chips.... how is cheaper parts going to effect sony's profitability negatively?

Games - FF13, GT5, GoW3... will their SW sales really decline? And will profitability really be an issue late 2010 when Ps3 costs start to break even?

^^^ Sony has nothing to worry about...the profits are going to start rolling in just as you are projecting.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
^^^ Sony has nothing to worry about...the profits are going to start rolling in just as you are projecting.

... I dont see anyone projecting profits.

I stand corrected then.