By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I have lost faith in the Wii and its future

jjseth said:
ArtofAngels said:
Why the hell is '12 Hit Combo' in bold like that or this Wii Bingo crap?

Is this some new internet nerd slang I don't know about?

Kinda like that newish stupid 'FTW' (*For The Way* some idiots claim it stands for) When clearly it's just WTF backwards.

I really really hope you are kidding here.   FTW stands for "For The Win" and has nothing at all to deal with WTF.  :)

And those are the only games we played and that she had that we tried.  From what I saw though, I really don't care much about the Wii mote and how it controls and handles games.  Sure, I did have some curiousity in how it worked and did keep an open mind when trying it.   It just comes off as a fad to me and those other games really seem like it would be very awkward in controlling.   Maybe to a 12 year old it may be a hit.  But when you get a combo of a older generation graphics wise machine and a gimmicky controller it will begin to fade from popularity especially when you start to miss some of the big hits that aren't capable of running on the Wii hardware.

Because 6-Axis isn't gimmicky at all, no, now there's a solid controller.  Lol, I can't believe there is still an ancient artifact like yourself still perfectly intact from the early FUD days of the Wii's launch. It's like finding a Ceolocanth.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Alright, one hour has passed since I posted, it's time to clear this up in case not everyone has figured it by now.

This was obviously a joke post and everyone who has reads my posts in the past few months should know that this kind of turnaround in someone's opinion isn't realistic. I tried to fill out the complete Wii Bingo board from Sean Malstrom in a single post, but had to try to keep it at a reasonable level.

I suggest those who thought my post is meant to be real and posted good points, save these and keep them for a later occasion, you maybe can make use of them in the near future. I also apologize if anyone feels offended.

There were two clues in my post:

1. The first letter of each paragraph.
  2. The bolded words.
It's a completely filled out Bingo board.

And thus the charade ends.  Good one Rol.

Have you been on the IGN forums?

They are positive that FTW stands for *Forschungszentrum Telekommunikation Wien* and that is no joke.

www.ftw.at

It's clearly WTF backwards.

FTW = For The Win

Learn to 4chan.

Are you picking me?

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

With the sluggish sales of the Wii in Japan since about 12 weeks and the recent disappointment of first week sales for Super Mario Galaxy I am starting to doubt the longevity of the system. The Wii might be a fad after all which wouldn't be that surprising considering the sales of previous Nintendo consoles like the Gamecube, which started well at first too. Although the sales of the GC dropped much quicker.

I think the reason why the Wii could maintain its strong sales longer than the Gamecube is because the Wii had Wii Sports. I am worried what will happen to the western market once people get bored of this game, my guess is that the sales of the Wii will take a serious hit. Most of the Wii's success can be attributed to party games which is evidenced by the sales of Wii Play and Mario Party 8. This can't last forever.

I also lost faith in Nintendo as a developer of top notch first party software after the disapointments their combo of big games (Zelda, Metroid, Mario) has been. Zelda had tacked on controls, Metroid was a streamlined 5 hour game (if you want to see a picture for proof, let's exchange Wii numbers) and not the deep experience I was used to from the Gamecube games, Mario seems to be a totally easy game now (thanks to the casual gamers who can't handle hard games) which can be finished in about 7 hours. I feel betrayed by Nintendo and I am sure that I am not alone, many other longtime Nintendo fans probably feel the same way. Easy games suited for casual gamers is not the way this industry should heading to, I want to play my deep singleplayer games like they used to be. Instead of making games for me, Nintendo develops Wii Fit and other crap which aren't even real games.

Because third parties still don't see the Wii as viable platform we will get mostly minigames from them, which make up already the biggest part of the Wii's library. The strong sales of the Wii early on didn't matter as all the major third party franchises I care for are still not in the works for the Wii, only for 360/PS3. That's not what I would call serious support. I can't really blame them, seeing that only Nintendo games seem to sell well on Nintendo systems, the Wii is no exception.

I think once the 360 and PS3 get another price cut, the Wii is finished, because I don't see Nintendo dropping their price as well, they will continue to overcharge for their outdated hardware which as we all know is only two Gamecubes duct taped together.

Now another reason why I could see the Wii failing is the growing adoption rate of HDTVs. Even the PS3 will be able to easily pass the Wii because thanks to the Cell and Bluray it is futureproof and will last for at least ten years. On top of that the 2008 lineup of the 360 (Fable 2, Halo Wars, Banjo 3) and the PS3 (MGS4, GT5, GTA IV) can't be countered by anything the Wii offers.

Generally the Wii sold well until now because it is cheap. The old technique used in the Wii can't last forever and we will most likely see a Wii HD in 2009, just like Pachter said.

Other problems I have with the Wii are: Games for it so far haven't proven that the Wiimote can be used in more than just gimmicky ways. Nintendo doesn't seem to care for online, most games don't support it and in the ones that do, I have to deal with the annoying friend codes. The virtual console seemed to be a great idea at first, but let's be honest, the games are overpriced. I mean €8 for a Megadrive game, seriously?

Thoughts?

You're panicking like Onna76.

All I can tell you is that time will show you the error of your statements.

360 & PS3 cannot touch what Wii is doing. in fact 360 & PS3 are the ones who will soon need to start panicking.

I think the upcoming 3rd party influx will soothe Rol's fears.

And let me tell you about those VC prices. The Rhino's in my town which is now a Gamestop (dammit) used to have all these old games and many of them ran HIGHER than what Wii is selling them for. The NES's were cheaper most of them but everything else was HIGHER than the prices Wii puts out.

AND the whole point is that where are you gonna find these games for sale anymore? The rarer something gets the higher it is priced. Hence that $50 I swallowed getting the legendary Earthbound.

Now for those who use ROMs online, all prices are too high because anything higher than Free is too high. Outside of that VC games aren't priced that badly and as we see by the original Japanese version of SMB2 we're getting games that we NEVER would have gotten in ANY store.

And listening to Pachter is a foolish endeavor. He never knows what he's talking about. Half the board here alone could steal his job being they have a better handle on the direction of this market than he does.

Or maybe this was some clever joke post. Rol saying "real games"?

Well if you ARE sincere about what you're saying here better jump out now. Wii is INDEED the future along with Wii Fit and games of that caliber. They are ready to make the competition irrelevant now. Plans are underway. Larval stage going into pupa ready to emerge as the butterfly that transforms the entire industry.

And I gleefully await the transformation.

John Lucas

P.S.: Wii is NO fad. Wii is FACT. 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

RolStoppable said:

Alright, one hour has passed since I posted, it's time to clear this up in case not everyone has figured it by now.

This was obviously a joke post and everyone who has read my posts in the past few months should know that this kind of turnaround in someone's opinion isn't realistic. I tried to fill out the complete Wii Bingo board from Sean Malstrom in a single post, but had to try to keep it at a reasonable level.

I suggest those who thought my post is meant to be real and posted good points, save these and keep them for a later occasion, you maybe can make use of them in the near future. I also apologize if anyone feels offended.

2. The bolded words.

lol.. you legend.. i didn't notice the first letter of each paragraph though, that is epic

RolStoppable said:

This was obviously a joke post and everyone who has read my posts in the past few months should know that this kind of turnaround in someone's opinion isn't realistic. I tried to fill out the complete Wii Bingo board from Sean Malstrom in a single post, but had to try to keep it at a reasonable level.

2. The bolded words.

May I askyou what is the purpose of this thread, Rol ?

I know that Malstrom's Bingo is the funniest game played by Wii ( and Nintendo ) believers  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

RolStoppable said:

2. The bolded words.

I will not be sad if you get banned.

Onimusha12 said:
jjseth said:
ArtofAngels said:
Why the hell is '12 Hit Combo' in bold like that or this Wii Bingo crap?

Is this some new internet nerd slang I don't know about?

Kinda like that newish stupid 'FTW' (*For The Way* some idiots claim it stands for) When clearly it's just WTF backwards.

I really really hope you are kidding here.   FTW stands for "For The Win" and has nothing at all to deal with WTF.  :)

And those are the only games we played and that she had that we tried.  From what I saw though, I really don't care much about the Wii mote and how it controls and handles games.  Sure, I did have some curiousity in how it worked and did keep an open mind when trying it.   It just comes off as a fad to me and those other games really seem like it would be very awkward in controlling.   Maybe to a 12 year old it may be a hit.  But when you get a combo of a older generation graphics wise machine and a gimmicky controller it will begin to fade from popularity especially when you start to miss some of the big hits that aren't capable of running on the Wii hardware.

Because 6-Axis isn't gimmicky at all, no, now there's a solid controller.  Lol, I can't believe there is still an ancient artifact like yourself still perfectly intact from the early FUD days of the Wii's launch. It's like finding a Ceolocanth.

It actually is a solid controller. :)  Fits my hands well and it's the same familiar style I'm used to.   I'm not ancient, just well seasoned.    And hey, ummmm I found a indian head penny.  :)

I think you missed a hidden message in my last post. :P

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.