By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop pressuring to buy used?

In all honesty buy used on older games that are already marked down new. The savings can be amazing (I paid $17 for Oblivion). I would never sell them a game because they cheat the consumers and sell back at huge margins.

I support devs enough but sometimes it is great to leave a store with a cool game that didn't cost much= Gitaroo Man Lives for 2 bux :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

ha.

Half of their "new" stock has actually been pre owned anyway. Notice that they display the box with an ugly new sticker and have to get the disc out of the drawer out of a little sleeve?

If it isn't a sealed copy, it isn't new. Keep that in mind if they try to tell you otherwise.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

My buddy just bought Dead Rising for $18 used, I repeat $18 used. A game that retails for $20 he bought used by god knows who in god knows what shape for $18. Im sure some poor shlub sold it to gamestop for $3. To top it off he bought the greatest hits cover.*facepalm*

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

thetonestarr said:
Tell them you'd rather support the developer that worked hard to get you this game instead of the giant corporation that ripped someone else off to make big bucks off of it.

OMG, I can't wait until the next time I go there.... I'm going to use that one...  Like I care about saving 3 damn dollars and getting an extended warrenty for a game that wont break under my care in the 1st place?!

I bought DBZ: Budokai 1 like... 6 years ago, and the guy told me, if I bought the game new, I'd still walk out with the same (beat up, and trashy) game case.  I've hated gamestop since then.. but... where else am I supposed to buy my games from if I want hard-copies?.....  Yeah, I hate Gamestop...

Once... like 3 years ago, I asked my mother to go there, and get me a PS2 controller... I specifically told her I'd pay her back...  But, she saved 3 bucks on a beat-up PS2 controller with winding in the cable.  Damn thing doesn't even work anymore, it looks like complete garbage...  Gamestop should go back to selling old SEGA Genesis games....  Then maybe I'd like them again... Haven't gotten a new game for it since 2008....  I used to be consistance.... every year since 2008, I'd had me at least 3 new genesis games...

But, yes, they pressure you all the time to buy used stuff and it's annoying.. I said no, leave it alone..  This thread makes me hate gamestop a little more now...  I'm going to go elsewhere for games from now on... like.. walmart, or target, or something, we don't need gamestop.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, AND, I bought Xenosaga 4 years ago, and they charged me 3 dollars over the price (it was used).... I hate gamestop's guts now, I didn't even notice all the BS they pulled on me...  I'm going to walmart.

No you should always buy new if you can find it new. Used is only $5 less, rip-off imo.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Burning Typhoon said:
thetonestarr said:
Tell them you'd rather support the developer that worked hard to get you this game instead of the giant corporation that ripped someone else off to make big bucks off of it.

OMG, I can't wait until the next time I go there.... I'm going to use that one...  Like I care about saving 3 damn dollars and getting an extended warrenty for a game that wont break under my care in the 1st place?!

I bought DBZ: Budokai 1 like... 6 years ago, and the guy told me, if I bought the game new, I'd still walk out with the same (beat up, and trashy) game case.  I've hated gamestop since then.. but... where else am I supposed to buy my games from if I want hard-copies?.....  Yeah, I hate Gamestop...

Once... like 3 years ago, I asked my mother to go there, and get me a PS2 controller... I specifically told her I'd pay her back...  But, she saved 3 bucks on a beat-up PS2 controller with winding in the cable.  Damn thing doesn't even work anymore, it looks like complete garbage...  Gamestop should go back to selling old SEGA Genesis games....  Then maybe I'd like them again... Haven't gotten a new game for it since 2008....  I used to be consistance.... every year since 2008, I'd had me at least 3 new genesis games...

But, yes, they pressure you all the time to buy used stuff and it's annoying.. I said no, leave it alone..  This thread makes me hate gamestop a little more now...  I'm going to go elsewhere for games from now on... like.. walmart, or target, or something, we don't need gamestop.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, AND, I bought Xenosaga 4 years ago, and they charged me 3 dollars over the price (it was used).... I hate gamestop's guts now, I didn't even notice all the BS they pulled on me...  I'm going to walmart.

Hahahaha this made me laugh so hard. So you don't wan't to support a giant corporation you feel rips people off, but you do what to support Walmart... a company that has put many private businesses out of business. Bro, you got seven days to bring that controller back, not doing so if it was in that bad of a condition is just utter laziness. In all honesty I don't get how you think they rippoff people... people trade in games they finished, don't like, etc... and are people suppose to get top dollar for it? I bought NBA Live 2001 ages ago, should I get $50 dollars for trading it in now? That may be to an extreme point, but I'm sure you get the idea. Walmart... Hahahaha, I have no problem going there, but hating on Gamestop and saying you'll go to Walmart is just a bit ironic.

GameStop actually intentionally understocks new games so that they sell more used copies than new copies. This really hurts many smaller game developers and publishers who are already struggling to get shelf-space for their games anywhere.

And at GameStop, the employees play the games and scratch them up and rub their genitals all over them, and then sell them at full price and call them brand new.

God game stop... Just this weekend I was in there, and I heard a store employee berating this mother about getting used games, how "oh you can bring it back within 7 days."

I bought a "new" Prince of Persia there once. The box had a Madden holographic sticker on it. New my fucking ass.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

I avoid GS altogether.  I think their used practices are bad but what made me stop shopping there was them selling me broken hardware and software 100% of the time that I shopped there.

Buying games is two fold for me: 1) I buy to have access to the game and 2) I buy new to support the people who made it.  You can get games for cheap if you're willing to wait a month or more.  I think it's important to financially suport games because that's the only worthwhile feedback a developer/publisher gets about what types of games they should be making.  At the end of the day, if a game doesn't sell then it was a game nobody wanted to play bad enough to purchase it.  Buying a used game means you were interested enough to buy it, but the devs/pubs will never know it so in their eyes it was a game nobody wanted to play.  Maybe Halo and Call of Duty can survive that since they are super duper popular, but some smaller title without an advertising budget in the double digit millions may not be as lucky.  I try to do my part to avoid that situation from happening.

If I can get a game used, in good condition and complete, I do so. They start out 10% cheaper and I use the discount card for another 10%. I especially like doing that on games I don't know if they are worth having.

Do all of you who are advocating buying new games also buy new books (i.e., college textbooks)?

Just remember that no one is forcing anyone to resell their games to Gamestop. But usually the people doing that have finished their games and are looking for some for some disposal value (and an easier method than trying to make a direct sale). And which is better -- paying $60 for a game and not getting $15 back or paying $60 for a game and getting $0 back?

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV