By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop pressuring to buy used?

Why not buy it used and if you like it return it within the seven days and get it new? Make sure first that you'll even enjoy the game. Before thinking about other companies, think about yourself. This way you'll spend your money wisely instead of buying a new game that you won't ever play. Sure a game is great, but that doesn't mean it'll suit your tastes. You could probably admit it yourself that it's a great game, just not for you and if that happens, you are lucked out on up to $65.

Around the Network

New. Support the developers that make these games, not Gamestop!

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

It's your money, don't let people tell you how to use it. Just because some employee say's used is better it doesn't mean it is.

They have no control over how you spend your money. If you get tired of them bugging you, take your money elsewhere.

4 ≈ One

Buy new so you add to the charts on this website.

Around the Network

its almost like all of you work for naughty dog apperently, im all for buying new but cmon a cheaper game is cheaper, dont guilt trip people into spending more cause u take the moral high ground. if u dont want to shop there thats ur decision. obvisously the world has different one since gamestops profits get higher and higher every year.

edit: on a personal note i buy almost 90percent of my games new, the only exception is if i wanna try a bargain bin game i might have passed on and am willing to try it.

"even a dead god still dreams"

no duhh they r making some mullah out of them!

Lurker said:
If you buy used Gamestop is getting full profit. When you bought Uncharted new that means Sony and Naughty Dog got profit. Would you rather support Gamestop or Naughty Dog?

That shouldn't matter. If you want to buy new, do so for your own reasons. We're under no obligation to support anyone, we're only obligated to obtain it legally by law

Though i really shouldn't be saying that, i've bought virtually all of my collection new, except Tales, a few of my N64 games, and a few of my original Game Boy games.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The card you bought is a good thing. Gets you 10% off used games and 10% extra on trade ins. Trust me, it'll pay for itself over time. Only downside is not you'll start getting Game Informer in the mail haha.

Reason we try to get people to buy used is two reasons. One, most customers are gaming illiterate and have no idea what the fuck they want. So we suggest used so when they complain about having a bad game at least in 7 days they can get a refund on it while if it was new it is tough luck. Not to mention we realize how awful trade in credit is, but hey Gamestop doesn't want to pay too much for other people's crap haha. Second reason, is the corporation makes a hell of a lot more off used sales than new sales so we are told to push the used products. Personally, I pushed used software pretty hard but not used hardware which could probably get me in trouble but I'm not going to tell some poor sap to buy a used 360 or PS2... like a death sentence haha.

As others have said, it's up to you. Personally, I prefer supporting the developers before Gamestop, even if it means spending a couple more dollars. Gamestop has, of course, a financial incentive to sell used. Here's a case:

Take new HD game X. MSRP (and Gamestop's price) is $60. Wholesale on this game is $48. (Statistical average of wholesale price.) Gamestop makes $12 on this game. However, someone has traded in this game, and gotten $30 credit for it. You save $5, and buy it for $55. Gamestop now gets $25 profit, more than double the new case. In worst case for Gamestop, said game was traded in at a 30% extra promo (most likely toward a new game), so $39 was paid out. You have an edge card, and buy during a B2G1 event. Assuming you buy 3 games at $55 each (getting one free), less 10% on the remainder, means you've paid $99. Gamestop paid $117. Whoops, Gamestop lost $18!? Of course, this scenario is not the norm. (However, the 3 new games each sold from the tradeins at $12 profit each keeps GS up $18 after all is said and done.) Even if the games were just traded in straight, they still make profit on you, albeit not as much. But the potential for profit is there, and greater, so they're going to push you that way.

Ultimately, it's up to you. If you value your personal dollar most, get the used copy. If you want to tell the developer good job, and give them the support, get the new copy. Only you can determine which is right for you.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...