By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Super Mario Galaxy 2 Thread

I am due to travel to Melty Monster Galaxy and currently have 64 stars! After reading positive comments about Melty Monster Galaxy, I am looking forward to delving through it! Yoshi Star Galaxy, Puzzle Plank Galaxy, Cosmic Cove Galaxy, Tall Trunk Galaxy, Cloud Court Galaxy, Starshine Beach Galaxy, Sweet Mystery Galaxy, and Space Storm Galaxy have all been outstanding! I think I will ask a question: guiduc, is World 6 the most superior of the Worlds?

Around the Network
Rainbow Yoshi said:

I am due to travel to Melty Monster Galaxy and currently have 64 stars! After reading positive comments about Melty Monster Galaxy, I am looking forward to delving through it! Yoshi Star Galaxy, Puzzle Plank Galaxy, Cosmic Cove Galaxy, Tall Trunk Galaxy, Cloud Court Galaxy, Starshine Beach Galaxy, Sweet Mystery Galaxy, and Space Storm Galaxy have all been outstanding! I think I will ask a question: guiduc, is World 6 the most superior of the Worlds?

World 5 is still my favorite, but World 6 is indeed the most superior in terms of awesomeness.

Khuutra said:
wfz said:

I finally finished the game last night. Took about 10 tries for the very last star in the grandmaster galaxy. It was hella fun though, and the music kept me happy and entertained throughout the duration of my lives.

I really love the music when you get to the third section. mmmhmhmhmhmmhmmm *humming along* ~

Great game, and I absolutely love it.

What's your verdict on the game? How would you rank it this gen, or in the 3D Mario series, or against 3D platformers in general?

Sorry I didn't see your comment until just now. The new layout of VGC is a bit difficult to get used to. =P

I really liked this game. Even though it was really easy through 98% of it, I understand that it's only because I'm an extremely seasoned Mario player, and if the game was extremely intense the whole time, it wouldn't be so appealing to the mass audience. I appreciated the difficulty.

The levels were really fun and I loved the music. The game kept me entertained from beginning to end.

For this gen.. It's definitely one of my favorite games. I don't like ranking games in specific order, but this is definitely in the handful of favorites for me. I enjoyed it more than the first SMG and even though most of the green stars were blatantly easy, there were a few that were really fun. The main one that sprung out at me was in Bowser Junior's first stage. I had no idea you could get on top of the castle there until I was exploring for that green star. The last few stages were also extremely fun and challanging for me.

My only rough edge with this game is the fact that I love exploring by my own means. Super Mario 64 is one of my absolute favorite games of all time, and I loved exploring the world and running all over, getting to places using all different sorts of means. In Super Mario galaxy 1&2, the path is extremely linear. It colorfully masks this by leading you on in a very original and unique style while hiding the fact that it is. The truth remains however; there is a singular path from the beginning to end.

I understand -most- Mario fans like this linearity, and I've heard many threads discussing this subject, but I'm one of the few who really enjoys the exploration of Super Mario 64. I still loved going through every level in Super Mario Galaxy 2, but it was just a different feeling. It wasn't the feeling of exploration.

My only other gripe, which actually really ticks me the wrong way, is that mario is so sticky. Sticky! When you run and then try to stop, he stops instantly. When you do a running longjump, right when he lands he stops and pauses for a second. It makes the game feel slow. Even if I keep holding the control stick forward, Mario still pauses after his jumps. In Super Mario 64, it was extremely fluid and as long as I held forward, he would keep running at full speed, whether I did normal or long jumps. I also liked how it felt like he had more momentum in SM64. In SMG2 it feels like Mario is as light as paper, having no momentum. It's only a small gripe though, it never ruined the experience for me.

I am happy to say I enjoyed the 2d sections as much as the 3d sections. Overall I love this game and it's definitely one of my favorites. The music is still playing in my head. ~

I finally managed to get the last star in grandmaster Galaxy yesterday. If anybody still thinks Mario is not "hardcore", he should try Star 242 in SMG2. I nearly bitten in the wiimote trying to get that one.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

yessssss!!!

I did it 242th star! yeah!!!

Around the Network

Wow! congrats, moreno. I'm just at 150 stars. Can anyone tell me where is the third damn green star in Cosmic Cove?

guiduc said:

Wow! congrats, moreno. I'm just at 150 stars. Can anyone tell me where is the third damn green star in Cosmic Cove?

I think it was where the key is, long jump left

I finally played the game!!

i started a bit after Nintendo's E3 presentation and i'm trying not to rush through the game, i'm currently at 25 stars

REALLY enjoying it, my fav so far is flipswap galaxy :)

86 stars now, begining to get slightly difficult as i rule all the easy ones out. Defin atly more difficult than the first one.

miz1q2w3e said:

I finally played the game!!

i started a bit after Nintendo's E3 presentation and i'm trying not to rush through the game, i'm currently at 25 stars

REALLY enjoying it, my fav so far is flipswap galaxy :)

your favprite is flip-swap?

you've seen nothing yet