By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - AVATAR opens to 232 million USD Worldwide

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Avatars opening is the highest ever for a new property I believe. And with the good reviews and presumably good word of mouth plus the fact its skewing heavily towards 3d cinemas, it should have great legs aswell.

Plus the film also has Italy, Poland, China, Uruguay and Japan still to open in.

Its looking like the most expensive movie ever made might actually make a profit afterall.

Around the Network
FaRmLaNd said:

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Avatars opening is the highest ever for a new property I believe. And with the good reviews and presumably good word of mouth plus the fact its skewing heavily towards 3d cinemas, it should have great legs aswell.

Plus the film also has Italy, Poland, China, Uruguay and Japan still to open in.

Its looking like the most expensive movie ever made might actually make a profit afterall.

Avatar is not the most expensive movie ever made.

And did someone really believed it would flop?

It's not that I thought it would flop, but I thought it would not meet expectations.

Guess I was wrong.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

this movie was truly amazing.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

How good or bad is it compared to James Cameron's other movies?

Where would it go in a list with Piranha 2, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies, and Titanic?

I'm sure the special effects are amazing, but is it really a remake of Ferngully in space? Are the epic action scenes mixed in with good alien-bonding scenes similar to Terminator 2's robot-bonding scenes?

Around the Network

Terminator 2 was just amazing..

mM
The Ghost of RubangB said:

Where would it go in a list with Piranha 2, The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2, True Lies, and Titanic?

I'm sure the special effects are amazing, but is it really a remake of Ferngully in space? Are the epic action scenes mixed in with good alien-bonding scenes similar to Terminator 2's robot-bonding scenes?

lol it's the most accurate description ever.

The alien bonding is very much there. It's most of the movie actually. Not a lot of action to be found except for the last big battle which, I'm not gonna lie here, looks absolutely stunning.

There's also no humor to be found anywhere. Except for the ridiculous over the top acting of the colonel, which actually made me break out in laughter in a couple of moments. You're gonna know when you see them.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

Its a great movie and most deserving of praise. Its hard to imagine after playing Uncharted 2 that a PS3 couldn't even render one frame of that movie in an hour but it is true.

i will be watching it at IMAX tomorrow, a James Cameron movie never disappointed me.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Johann said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:

lol it's the most accurate description ever.

The alien bonding is very much there. It's most of the movie actually. Not a lot of action to be found except for the last big battle which, I'm not gonna lie here, looks absolutely stunning.

There's also no humor to be found anywhere. Except for the ridiculous over the top acting of the colonel, which actually made me break out in laughter in a couple of moments. You're gonna know when you see them.

Damn.  The robot-bonding scenes were the funniest parts of T-2, like when Arnold asks Eddie Furlong... "Why do you cry?"

So the movie's more about emo bonding and exploring (both the lush alien landscapes and THE DEPTHS OF THE HUMAN SOUL AND CAPACITY FOR LOVE)?

Weird to hear that all the action's at the end.

Thanks for the heads up.  I'm definitely going to see it, because he made a movie in which Bill Paxton wets his pants.