By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - AVATAR opens to 232 million USD Worldwide

this might be the first movie I am going to wathc in 3D.

Around the Network

Updated estimates have come in now and its actually made $241,571,046 as opposed to 232 million. Which is even more impressive. The same source as my OP. Still estimates though.

It did 72 mil first week in the US according to imdb. Not exactly record breaking.

PSN - hanafuda

@hanafuda Estimates have increased to 77 million in the US first week. But we wont know for sure until the actuals are released. However we do know that in terms of gross its the biggest new ip launch ever in film history. To call it not exactly record breaking silly. Considering it didn't have a built in audience it did fantastically.

it was amazing but not as good as the best movie ever titanic

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
So Cameron > Spielberg/Lucas?

Right now, definitely. But bothed peaked higher in their careers than Cameron likely ever will, at least in regards to Lucas' sci-fi work and for Spielberg, overall body of work. Cameron does deserve credit for making the highest grossing film of all time, though.

Goddamnit. I hate to disagree but you are so wrong.

T2 was epic. Titanic was epic. To say that those two films, in terms of cultural importance and popularity, are not comparable to Star Wars, ET and Jurassic Park is just wrong.

Im sorry rocketpig.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
So Cameron > Spielberg/Lucas?

Right now, definitely. But bothed peaked higher in their careers than Cameron likely ever will, at least in regards to Lucas' sci-fi work and for Spielberg, overall body of work. Cameron does deserve credit for making the highest grossing film of all time, though.

Goddamnit. I hate to disagree but you are so wrong.

T2 was epic. Titanic was epic. To say that those two films, in terms of cultural importance and popularity, are not comparable to Star Wars, ET and Jurassic Park is just wrong.

Im sorry rocketpig.

He's talking about quality, but if you think T2 had a cultural impact as big as Star Wars or Jurassic Park I don't know what to tell you.

no movie ever will have the cultural impac star wars did, we look at quality not impac, in quality cameron is better then lucas by 100 times

Just saw Avatar a couple days ago, and it was very good (but not amazing). The use of 3-D was for the most part brilliant, creating a sense of depth that would otherwise be unachievable.

8/10

For Speilberg I would personally rank his best film as being Schindlers List. That movie was nearly flawless in my opinion.