By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - AVATAR opens to 232 million USD Worldwide

@NJ5

In theory thats corrent overall. However in America the distibuter gets a larger percentage then in the rest of the world. Some studios actually get a variable percentage eg 90% of the first week gross, 80% of the second and so on and so forth. Thats why films are more frontloaded in America then the rest of the world. The suidos would make less money if they had legs.

Around the Network

$16.4m on wednesday. Alvin and the shitmunks opened with $18m wednesday. Fox are having a very merry christmas this year.
Avatar will be hovering close to $300m by end of next weekend. With Japan and China opening during this week, figures should be impressive.

Playing: Borderlands(great co-op,HUGE amount of content),Too Human(better late than never lol),Saints Row 3(Penetrator ftw),Minecraft 360,Harry Potter Lego. 

Patiently waiting for:  Tomb Raider, Borderlands 2

Dv8thwonder said:
James Cameron should be ashamed for ripping the plot off of Battle for Terra.

Umm, you do realize that "Avatar" was conceived fourteen years ago? Stop hating on Cameron and learn the facts.

Besides even if the plot for battle of terra is similar (I haven't seen it). It doesn't really matter because going native and fighting with them is hardly a new concept anyway.

BTW the film is now at $392,954,953. This film is showing tremendous legs so far. And it hasn't even had its second weekend yet!

remember though, it's also gotta make up for the outrageous marketing budget. So it'll need to gross at least half a billion to be profitable probably.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
So Cameron > Spielberg/Lucas?

Right now, definitely. But bothed peaked higher in their careers than Cameron likely ever will, at least in regards to Lucas' sci-fi work and for Spielberg, overall body of work. Cameron does deserve credit for making the highest grossing film of all time, though.

Goddamnit. I hate to disagree but you are so wrong.

T2 was epic. Titanic was epic. To say that those two films, in terms of cultural importance and popularity, are not comparable to Star Wars, ET and Jurassic Park is just wrong.

Im sorry rocketpig.

First off, no movie is in the same class as Star Wars. That movie completely changed the way we think about movies and swallowed pop culture for half a decade.

ET wasn't far behind it... Maybe I'd put Titanic on that level of pop culture immersion but even then, I'd give the nod to ET. Every little kid was obsessed with that movie for a good year after its release. Hell, Reese's Pieces became popular because of that movie. That's how stupid-popular it was.

T2? Not even in the same stratosphere.

I'm guessing you're somewhere in your early 20s, tops. Having been alive to witness all of these movies in theatres firsthand (outside of the original SW, I was only a baby), I have to chuckle at your statements.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Khuutra said:
megaman79 said:
rocketpig said:
d21lewis said:
So Cameron > Spielberg/Lucas?

Right now, definitely. But bothed peaked higher in their careers than Cameron likely ever will, at least in regards to Lucas' sci-fi work and for Spielberg, overall body of work. Cameron does deserve credit for making the highest grossing film of all time, though.

Goddamnit. I hate to disagree but you are so wrong.

T2 was epic. Titanic was epic. To say that those two films, in terms of cultural importance and popularity, are not comparable to Star Wars, ET and Jurassic Park is just wrong.

Im sorry rocketpig.

He's talking about quality, but if you think T2 had a cultural impact as big as Star Wars or Jurassic Park I don't know what to tell you.

I'm definitely talking about quality but overall impact works as well.

I'm sorry but I think anyone would have to be insane to argue Cameron over Spielberg's body of work... I mean, Christ, look at this list:

Jaws, Close Encounters, Indiana Jones, Color Purple, Empire of the Sun, ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan.

As for Lucas, I'd give him the sci-fi nod for the Star Wars trilogy for obvious reasons but let's not forget that he also directed THX-1138, a pretty awesome film before he raped it (as only Lucas can do to his own movies) a few years back.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/