By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII disappointing?

Luney Tune said:

"Criticism of blockbuster RPG Final Fantasy XIII has rapidly mounted, with the initial observation that the game is almost comically linear giving way to a litany of further dissatisfactions, many quite unavoidable even for the game's many staunch defenders.

A digest of criticism from 2ch:

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

There are hardly any towns.

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

There are rather a lot of movies.

Moving around is like a long marathon.

You can't flee battles [You can't avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow's constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will "protect" whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]

Ah, that's what I was looking for. Thank you. Those are the points that kind of worry me. I don't mind a lot of cutscenes as long as the story is good, but judging from the latest trailer, I don't think I'll like the story. Hope I'm wrong on that one.The endless attacking sucks; this is what I hated about FFX-2 and Super Robot Taisen on the DS. All you do is press the attack button, and that's it. Not fun at all.

The thing that upsets me the most is how linear the levels are. From looking at the maps and a few gameplay videos, all you do is travel in a straight line. And this last for 20 hours? Lame. It feels like a step backward from FFXII. The second half better be good in terms of exploration. I'm renting it.

Around the Network

Here are some positive impressions for FFXIII

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18943622&postcount=1443

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928790&topic=52727156

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/review/928790.html

FFXIII seems to be getting alot of mixed impressions (like pretty much every other FF game since FF7).

Mirson said:
Luney Tune said:

"Criticism of blockbuster RPG Final Fantasy XIII has rapidly mounted, with the initial observation that the game is almost comically linear giving way to a litany of further dissatisfactions, many quite unavoidable even for the game's many staunch defenders.

The whole game is completely linear until halfway through [approximately 20 hours].

The party is always fixed. The whole game just repeats the movie-battle sequence over and over [In fact the progression is closer to movie-run-battle-run-movie-boss-movie-run-battle…].

You can't flee battles [You can't avoid most battles either as there is no sneaking past enemies, including weak ones].

The best tactic is almost always endlessly attacking. There is next to no strategy or skill involved.

The story is rubbish… [Spoilers omitted, but complaints centre on Snow's constant and cringe inducing insistence that he is a hero and will "protect" whatever it is the antagonists are menacing this time]

Ah, that's what I was looking for. Thank you. Those are the points that kind of worry me. I don't mind a lot of cutscenes as long as the story is good, but judging from the latest trailer, I don't think I'll like the story. Hope I'm wrong on that one.The endless attacking sucks; this is what I hated about FFX-2 and Super Robot Taisen on the DS. All you do is press the attack button, and that's it. Not fun at all.

The thing that upsets me the most is how linear the levels are. From looking at the maps and a few gameplay videos, all you do is travel in a straight line. And this last for 20 hours? Lame. It feels like a step backward from FFXII. The second half better be good in terms of exploration. I'm renting it.

You realize that the EXACT same complaints were levied against Final Fantasy X. Really, specifically, the exact word for word complaints fit FFX perfectly. The only exception is the inability to flee battles....but I never did that anyway, I'm not even sure if you could do it, thinking back.

I mean, honestly, complaining that the gameflow is cutscene-dungeon-cutscene-boss-cutscene, and that fighting in non-random battles sucks...just seems like someone doesn't enjoy JRPGs to me. :P I mean, a JRPG is linear....really? How dare they, lol.

These games always have more depth than is readily apparent. I didn't figure out FFXII or VIII's battle system until my second playthrough(with the help of guides). I thought those games were crap, until I played them again, and now they are, in my mind, some of the deepest and most rewarding experiences out there. Hell FFVIII and XII's stories both kinda suck.....these complaints mean nothing, really, because with each new entry, its the individual who has to decide if they like the new reimagining of the series, because I can guarntee you one thing. It's gonna change with every entry.

This series is one of the few series that remains great, despite chaning its game completely with each new entry. Imagine if Zelda or Mario did that....

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Mirson said:
Luney Tune said:

Do not give in to their negative connotations.  Trust me, strategy is definitely involved; it's just that the battles are longer than any of the past regular FF battles.  While you may do a lot of the same things over and over again, the approach you take for battles must be smart in order to succeed.  You absolutely MUST change paradigms in battle.  The summons are also very useful, and IMO are made more useful in FF13 than in any other FF.  Why?  Because battles are tough and sometimes long, so using them to blow up your enemies has never been more satisfying. 

I saw one video of Bahamut doing megaflare and taking up over 170,000 hp!  The regular attacks the party was doing was about 5-15,000 hp damage.

You can avoid a lot of the battles too (they're overexaggerating).  Plus there are items that will allow you to get an instant pre emptive strike against enemies.  During a pre emptive attack you set each enemie's break meter to almost full, and you get an instant full ATB gauge.

They say the story is rubbish, but focus primarily on Snow.  That just tells us they focused on one person for far too much of the game, and could only consider him as the whole story.  

Besides, even if Snow is as bad as they say, it's good for the story.  You know why?  Because a story needs characters people don't like in order for it to move on and succeed in a variety of ways.

If every character was a badass, cool character then the story would never get anywhere. 

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

=_= u never played a FF?

like msg since FF7 it have long cutscenes, BUT they are awesome.
and u can skip them i dont see a problem

Around the Network

This is a call from the Japanese population to make FF grow!!! SE, give it to Bioware to create a true deep experience with true modern issues!!!

Every FF has been a dissapointment since the so, so horrible FFVIII made it to the store shelves.

I think not. This was to be expected. And when a game gets a lot, A LOT of hype like this one, critics around the world want to talk crap about it to get in the spotlight.

Kirameo said:
Every FF has been a dissapointment since the so, so horrible FFVIII made it to the store shelves.

I think not. This was to be expected. And when a game gets a lot, A LOT of hype like this one, critics around the world want to talk crap about it to get in the spotlight.

So....you thought FFVIII was....horrible?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I was confused too, but I think he was speaking ironically.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Kirameo said:

So....you thought FFVIII was....horrible?

It's maybe my favourite FF haha. It was just sarcasm. But it seems to be what a lot of people think =/