By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto - wait until you see the Wii 5 years from now

shams said:
I agree completely. People are way too short-sighted when it comes to the potential of the Wii. Like the DS - its not just about games.

Just the channel interface, plus the Wiimote "pointer" functionality (forget waggle!) is enough to revolutionize things.

Think interactive TV - Ninty have built "mouse control" into a TV remote.

The other thing Ninty have managed to do (very sneaky) - is better separate the Wiimote & Wii.

They could release a completely upgraded Wiimote - is this a console upgrade?

What about keeping the existing Wiimotes - and releasing a new Wii unit? Is that an upgrade?

It would also be TRIVIAL for Ninty to release an "updated" version of the Wii, that has more internal memory (say 4Gig, instead of 512MB).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo come out with an 'upgraded' console that has more memory or some other cool new feature every so often.  (Think of all of the iPod 'upgrades' throughout the years.)  The only reason they haven't increased the internal memory or done much else is that they can't make enough Wiis as it is.  Maybe next year.

As for the controllers, you already have a new one coming out -- the Wii Balance Board.  Of course I hope they don't go overboard with all of these things.  I don't want to have a huge pile of controllers sitting next to the damn thing.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network

Just theorizing here.

Maybe Nintendo will come out with a WiiHD or whatever in 5 years, which will be basically the same with better graphics, controls, memory, etc. It will somehow transfer all your Wii Channels, games, Miis, etc. over for those who upgrade.

However, both versions of the Wii continue to be sold at different price points and most games will run on both (like PC games which scale to different graphic cards). So the Mario HD plays on both Wii and WiiHD, but obviously looks (and perhaps somewhat) controls better on WiiHD.

This way Nintendo can answer to Microsofts new console for those who like the lastest thing, without asking the current casual base to have to switch. I think a lot of the new market will be resistant to the idea of upgrading every 4-5 years. Certainly our grandmothers buying Wiis will not be so keen on getting a new one, and likely won't ever care if it's HD or not.

Meanwhile Nintendo continues to build out Wii Channels and functions in their quest to make it an essential home item, without much concern of losing their base when the next generation rolls around.

i think they will just release firmware updates to allow sd cards to be used in lieu of any hard drives as higher capacity cards come.

We're getting a couple new channels a year, and in 5 years we could easily have 15 more. There should be something for everybody. And Wii Ware can quite possibly explode the world with 4 player online co-op Dr. Mario, new exclusive FFCC's, and who knows what else. Wii ain't seen nothing yet.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Rubang B said:
We're getting a couple new channels a year, and in 5 years we could easily have 15 more. There should be something for everybody. And Wii Ware can quite possibly explode the world with 4 player online co-op Dr. Mario, new exclusive FFCC's, and who knows what else. Wii ain't seen nothing yet.

I think you overestimate WiiWare. All it is is cheap little downloadable titles. Some thing that 360 and PS3 owners have had since lanuch via XBL and PSN respectively.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
-Edge- said:
Dunno whats going to happen I have a feeling PS3 might make a 3 million+ jump this holiday...

With what games? Uncharted? Ratchet and Clank sales have been lackluster at best.......

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

outlawauron said:
Rubang B said:

I think you overestimate WiiWare. All it is is cheap little downloadable titles. Some thing that 360 and PS3 owners have had since lanuch via XBL and PSN respectively.

Yea but XBLA and PSN sales have been nearly as good as the Virtual Console sales. People will already be used to playin Virtual Console Wiiware is just an upgrade. Of course demos would help.

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

outlawauron said:
Rubang B said:

I think you underestimate an exclusive online downloadable-only Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles game.  So far it seems pretty big for a downloadale game.  And they've only announced maybe 6 or 7 games out of the 100+ that have been pitched to Nintendo.

If the Wii can outsell more powerful systems without WiiWare, it can only get more powerful with WiiWare!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

And the sales of Virtual Consoles already have people plunkin down money for Wiipoints.....

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

I am so broke, I want Points but my wallet is quite empty. I might get an intership in 08 sellin bonds though, hehehehe, Im so convincing.......

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie