By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:
phenom08 said:
elmerion said:
Basing your opinions on reviews opinion, makes you lose your credibility, Famitsu has rated 4 games this year as Master Pieces, and IGN rated Modern Warfare 2 as it was Jesus Christ coming again, and yet NSMB got barely a 8.9 because it was another Mario Game, it was the "easy" way for Nintendo, i wonder why cant they say the same thing about Call of Duty what? 6 or 7 cant remember now, are we counting the portable versions too?

Thank you elmerion its funny how many games are considered master pieces but when its time to perform on the charts they sell less than wii music and people say casuals don't buy games where are these hardcore gamers that allow their "superior" games to get outsold. Why aren't these hardcore gamers buying these master pieces, i think i know why, because they are overrated. I should list some of these games that are overrated but those hardcore gamers would have a fit.

See, that's what I was talking about. Before you said that different genres have to be considered when comparing games, because some genres are more popular than others. Now this doesn't seem to matter to you anymore.

EDIT: Sales aren't an absolute measurement for the quality of a game. For example, hype can help a mediocre game sell more than it's actually worth.

sales aren't absolute but nothing is, so im arguing sales are the closes indicator we have, and i said that because im tired of people saying reviews are the closes indicator and yes i know some genres are more popular than others so we shouldn't compare games in different genres, i guess ur referring to my wii music comparison? are u?

Around the Network
phenom08 said:
I think i might make a thread on how sales are the only way we can prove which is better, within its genre that is. How do you make a thread cgi. Im not trying to become an enemy by the way i just have different opinions and i also respect ur opinion.

That's not how you get popular. Sales never have and never will be representative of a quality product.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Notorius.A.i.G said:
tedsteriscool said:
Notorius.A.i.G said:
I can't even find this game on shelves.

Hasn't been released in the Americas yet

I live in Canada lol.

Whoops, my bad. I don't think it's been released there either, though.

elmerion said:
Wii Music is a product of the Wii name, it sold at least 1 million because of that, 500k because the idea seemed cool, and the rest was people that really liked the game, i cant hardly use this game as a reference for anything, just to point out that not everything with the Wii name on it can be a huge success, and yet it outsold so many games considered succesful... i think this is the kind of result we can expect on Eyepet, the game is succesful a software titles, any game above 2million is higly profitable it doesnt matter if you are Nintendo or Dogbrain Productions, the problem is Wii Music destroyed the Wii momentum (or at least it didnt keep it going) Eyepet wont create much momentum for the PS3 either

thats all speculation elmerion just  because u didn't enjoy it doesn't mean its a bad game, thats the logic im trying to get rid of, my little cousin enjoys the game (shes 6), it can't be the best music game since guitar hero had no problem outselling it, but im just saying we shouldn't say it was horrible because millions purchased it, now i do know just because they bought it doesn't mean they enjoyed it but theres no proof in they didn't enjoy it so please no one say that.

phenom08 said:
patapon said:
phenom08 said:
I think i might make a thread on how sales are the only way we can prove which is better, within its genre that is. How do you make a thread cgi. Im not trying to become an enemy by the way i just have different opinions and i also respect ur opinion.

Sales? It is generally accepted... okay, conclusively accepted that reviews are a better indication than sales when it comes to a games quality. I don't know what planet you live on, but they sure as hell must play alot of Tamagotchi there, no?

you completely made that up in your fantasy world but in my world popularity is what usually decides what's number one

examples

Michael Jackson is the king of pop also the highest selling pop artist

The Beatles are the greatest rock band on the planet also the highest selling rock band

Votes is how we (United States) decide who our political figures are, thats an awful lot of responsibility to put on popularity

Mcdonald's the number one fast food restaurant on the planet also has the most sales

The ps2 is considered the winner of last generation also had the most sales

i don't know about u but i see a trend, can u atleast give me an example of where we use reviews to decide what is better or is that just the fanboy in you speaking

TBH, I think you're trolling. But regardless, here we go...

First, sales don't mean much. This is something you have to delete from that bulge atop your shoulders. Yes Michael Jackson and The Beatles have sold a shitload of albums, but it's because they WERE that good at what they did, not vice versa. TBH, I don't even like Michael Jackson but it's easy to see his success was from being 'the groundbreaker' for many a things. Same for The Beatles (although I like them). They came out with an incredibly large amount of content that was both quality and revolutionary. Saying that they are great simply because of sales is highly shallow minded. Only when you look into what they actually accomplished does one realize how good they really were. And nowhere in that analysis of their ability as musicians would # of albums sold need to be brought up.

Second, The United States doesn't elect Presidents by # of voters. Their election depends on something called "The Electoral College" not POPULAR VOTE. This has been an issue in past elections most notably the 2000 election. In short, popularity doesn't ultimately effect who is president... you should know this...

Thirdly, MacDonalds is probably the #1 selling food on the planet period. Forget about health food athletes, diabetics, overweight people and sickly individuals, EAT AT MACDONALDS!!! IT'S #1 IN SALES SO IT MUST BE THE BEST!!! GO AHEAD, EAT IT ALL... IT'S THE BEST!!! (I hope to god you can see the absurdity in saying such things. I also hope you can also see that's pretty much what you're saying...)

Lastly, I liked the Xbox more than the PS2. And that's perfectly okay because SALES /=/ BEST

Since you seem to think #=QUALITY, I'd like to get serious and show you some examples that (I hope) you find quite repulsive. Let's look at Nazi Germany... Hitler was highly popular with the German people as he was shoving Jews into ovens. Guess that means he must've been the best then, no? How about Slavery in the United States? That was a pretty popular notion at one point in time… Or more recently, the war over in the Middle East. When 9/11 occurred, people jumped right on that band wagon. But as time when on and people started questioning the Bush administration, the wars popularity became highly diminished.

You see, looking at the numbers doesn’t = quality. Only when analyzing (reviews) a certain thing or event, does merit for quality exist.

But then again, Tamagotchi was fucking awesome…

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
phenom08 said:

That's not how you get popular. Sales never have and never will be representative of a quality product.

sales are a result of popularity, u gain popularity by releasing quality material, which is based on personal taste so the only way to decide is by which is most popular 

example

the iphone is the number one smartphone on the market, based off of sales, just ask the average person which is the number one smartphone?

phenom08 said:
outlawauron said:
phenom08 said:

sales are a result of popularity, u gain popularity by releasing quality material, which is based on personal taste so the only way to decide is by which is most popular 

example

the iphone is the number one smartphone on the market, based off of sales, just ask the average person which is the number one smartphone?

Psychology is the most popular major in my school. Does that mean it's the best major?

I'm getting one today for my daughter. Gunna sell the eye toy on ebay - Already got one.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

patapon said:
phenom08 said:
patapon said:
phenom08 said:

Sales? It is generally accepted... okay, conclusively accepted that reviews are a better indication than sales when it comes to a games quality. I don't know what planet you live on, but they sure as hell must play alot of Tamagotchi there, no?

you completely made that up in your fantasy world but in my world popularity is what usually decides what's number one

examples

Michael Jackson is the king of pop also the highest selling pop artist

The Beatles are the greatest rock band on the planet also the highest selling rock band

Votes is how we (United States) decide who our political figures are, thats an awful lot of responsibility to put on popularity

Mcdonald's the number one fast food restaurant on the planet also has the most sales

The ps2 is considered the winner of last generation also had the most sales

i don't know about u but i see a trend, can u atleast give me an example of where we use reviews to decide what is better or is that just the fanboy in you speaking

TBH, I think you're trolling. But regardless, here we go...

First, sales don't mean much. This is something you have to delete from that bulge atop your shoulders. Yes Michael Jackson and The Beatles have sold a shitload of albums, but it's because they WERE that good at what they did, not vice versa. TBH, I don't even like Michael Jackson but it's easy to see his success was from being 'the groundbreaker' for many a things. Same for The Beatles (although I like them). They came out with an incredibly large amount of content that was both quality and revolutionary. Saying that they are great simply because of sales is highly shallow minded. Only when you look into what they actually accomplished does one realize how good they really were. And nowhere in that analysis of their ability as musicians would # of albums sold need to be brought up.

Second, The United States doesn't elect Presidents by # of voters. Their election depends on something called "The Electoral College" not POPULAR VOTE. This has been an issue in past elections most notably the 2000 election. In short, popularity doesn't ultimately effect who is president... you should know this...

Thirdly, MacDonalds is probably the #1 selling food on the planet period. Forget about health food athletes, diabetics, overweight people and sickly individuals, EAT AT MACDONALDS!!! IT'S #1 IN SALES SO IT MUST BE THE BEST!!! GO AHEAD, EAT IT ALL... IT'S THE BEST!!! (I hope to god you can see the absurdity in saying such things. I also hope you can also see that's pretty much what you're saying...)

Lastly, I liked the Xbox more than the PS2. And that's perfectly okay because SALES /=/ BEST

Since you seem to think #=QUALITY, I'd like to get serious and show you some examples that (I hope) you find quite repulsive. Let's look at Nazi Germany... Hitler was highly popular with the German people as he was shoving Jews into ovens. Guess that means he must've been the best then, no? How about Slavery in the United States? That was a pretty popular notion at one point in time… Or more recently, the war over in the Middle East. When 9/11 occurred, people jumped right on that band wagon. But as time when on and people started questioning the Bush administration, the wars popularity became highly diminished.

You see, looking at the numbers doesn’t = quality. Only when analyzing (reviews) a certain thing or event, does merit for quality exist.

But then again, Tamagotchi was fucking awesome…

number one i never said these are my personal views im just stating what is believed by the general public, i don't listen to pop or rock but ur not about to sit their and say they are the best because they have the best music, their quality leads to their sales, and the their sales lead to their titles, show me one genre in music that has the greatest selling musician in that genre not be the king or queen, modanna is the queen of pop i guess u havn't noticed she is also the highest selling female pop artist, elvis is the king of rock n roll and also the highest selling rock n roll artist see trend now or are u just blind

number two u obviously don't know how the electoral college works, its also pretty much based off of popularity just indirectly, the electors representing each state in the electoral college usually vote for who the state voted for so they are re-elected and stay in favor of the state, so u are right about the popular vote not deciding but its still based off of popularity and what about the senate and house of reps

number three its considered the number one fast food restaurant because of sales, i know their food isnt the healthiest but thats not stopping them from being considered number one, and people go there to enjoy the food not eat healthy

lastly what does all that political stuff have to do with sales and whats considered the best on the market, i brung up the presidential election to show u that obviously the popular opinion is more important than u think, all that political stuff has nothing to do with sales in a market

tedsteriscool said:
phenom08 said:
outlawauron said:
phenom08 said:

example

Psychology is the most popular major in my school. Does that mean it's the best major?

we are comparing products in a market, what relevance does a major have