By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did Square Enix stick with Sony?

psrock said:
nordlead said:

First off, I'm not saying they should get everything, as obviously not every game will sell the best on Wii, and sometimes games are made for more than the purely financial reasons.

But, you are also leaving out a lot of big games (or just out right really good games) that could (note, not should) have been released on Wii. Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Pro Evolution Soccer (late releases killed the Wii version). Not that I'm saying they should have been moved over to Wii, but Resident Evil obviously had good potential to sell on Wii (as proven by 4) to bad Capcom isn't smart enough to make the Title screen work on the Wii.

I don't Nintendo is such a great company to deal with when it comes to third party. Sony and MS probably help around to make these games, And these games are far from being "blockbuster" in Japan.

Fact is the Wii already got the most " blockbusters" in Japan anyway, they took MH3 already, they got the biggest franchise in that country, they just lost out on one, but you'd think otherwise listening to people around here.

Fact: If Nintendo wanted certain 3rd party, they could, MS did, they just choose to rely on their own franchises which sell more anyway. Look at this year, it was a huge letdown to me for the Wii 3rd party wise in Japan.

Nintendo just doesn't play ball like Microsoft and Sony does. Nintendo has helps devs by sending programming support over to help them understand the system and they provide some advertising support, however, they don't spend millions on buying exclusives, or timed exclusives. So yes, Nintendo could buy up exclusives, but you are right, their 1st party software is enough to support them, and they know it.

As for big games in Japan, Nintendo got 0 big games from 3rd parties for the GC. Considering the flip in positions, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Wii to get all the big games. Heck, the PS3 was on par with the GC up until this year, which again makes you question why Japanese 3rd parties didn't abandon them faster.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
psrock said:
nordlead said:

First off, I'm not saying they should get everything, as obviously not every game will sell the best on Wii, and sometimes games are made for more than the purely financial reasons.

But, you are also leaving out a lot of big games (or just out right really good games) that could (note, not should) have been released on Wii. Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Pro Evolution Soccer (late releases killed the Wii version). Not that I'm saying they should have been moved over to Wii, but Resident Evil obviously had good potential to sell on Wii (as proven by 4) to bad Capcom isn't smart enough to make the Title screen work on the Wii.

I don't Nintendo is such a great company to deal with when it comes to third party. Sony and MS probably help around to make these games, And these games are far from being "blockbuster" in Japan.

Fact is the Wii already got the most " blockbusters" in Japan anyway, they took MH3 already, they got the biggest franchise in that country, they just lost out on one, but you'd think otherwise listening to people around here.

Fact: If Nintendo wanted certain 3rd party, they could, MS did, they just choose to rely on their own franchises which sell more anyway. Look at this year, it was a huge letdown to me for the Wii 3rd party wise in Japan.

Nintendo just doesn't play ball like Microsoft and Sony does. Nintendo has helps devs by sending programming support over to help them understand the system and they provide some advertising support, however, they don't spend millions on buying exclusives, or timed exclusives. So yes, Nintendo could buy up exclusives, but you are right, their 1st party software is enough to support them, and they know it.

As for big games in Japan, Nintendo got 0 big games from 3rd parties for the GC. Considering the flip in positions, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Wii to get all the big games. Heck, the PS3 was on par with the GC up until this year, which again makes you question why Japanese 3rd parties didn't abandon them faster.

But the Japanese still hasn't abondoned the PS3, in fact I EXPECT better support now.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
rccsetzer said:
MasterHien said:
Erm Maybe because Sony has a strong brand and awareness?
Final Fantasy Series True Home is the PLAYSTATION.
What i think should of happen is that they should have kept FF13 (TIME EXCLUSIVES FOR PS3) because it would of droven PS3 sales of the ROOF which would increased the demand for FF13 and after a few month then release it for Xbox 360

But, unfortunatelly at the time, Sony was in no position to do that. They could do it with Final Fantasy XIV (timed exclusive?), Final Fantasy Versus XIII (exclusive) and Final Fantasy XV (i bet Square-Enix is already developing it).

at this time It most likely will only be PS3 an PC MAINLY due to the fact that it very well could be timed, but I would no hold your breath.

FF:XIV is being published by Sony computer Ent.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Don't worry. Us 360 fans will get a chance with Final Fantasy XIV. Just Microsoft has always been way to restrictive when it comes to Live

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/ffxiv-discussions-with-microsoft-holding-up-360-version/

Like i said It may not even happen due to Sony Computer Ent. is the one publishing the Game, they may have an agreement that say's PC but not the xbox360.

[UPDATE: According to a press release from Square Enix debuting after the Sony press conference, FFXIV Online is in fact console-exclusive to the PS3, not an overall exclusive, showing the kind of confusing remarks often given over exclusivity in press conferences.

The release notes that the game will have "a simultaneous global release" and will be localized into English, French, German, and Japanese. The tagline is "Adventure begins anew in the vast realm of Eorzea!"

In addition, the development staff is led by producer Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy XI), with art direction by Akihiro Yoshida (Vagrant Story) and music from FF series mainstay Nobuo Uematsu.]

http://www.worldsinmotion.biz/2009/06/e3_sony_announces_ps3_consolee.php

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I presume you mean why isn't FFXIII on 360 in Japan? I think that's simple:

1 - sales of jRPGs on 360 haven't been stellar in Japan no matter it had more than PS3, and the evidence suggests that the big jRPGs will sell more on PS3 than 360

2 - PS3 way outsells 360 in Japan

3 - 360 owns America over PS3

4 - 360 and PS3 have even split in Others

So, Square Enix actually took the option to have their cake and eat it in my opinion. They didn't totally fall out with Sony by going full multiplatform but it won't hurt them a jot.

They simply don't need FFXIII on 360 in Japan and they know it, and they may have got additional favours from Sony to remain region exclusive.

MS so wanted FFXIII in the West that SE are sure to have secured great funding to put in on 360 outside Japan without having to put it on 360 in Japan. They had the power in the negotiation, not MS

So SE will see huge sales on PS3 in Japan, loose a tiny fraction of 360 sales, and gain lot's of additional 360 sales in West as well as PS3 sales.

They are also sure to have nice incentives from both Sony and MS whether they are money or other business incentives.

I don't see how they lost or stuck by Sony either - they suited themselves and did so while seeming to give both Sony and MS an Olive branch each.

EDIT: if you're talking about FFXIV, which you might be too, then that's simple so far as has been released to the public.  SE want an MMO with charges using a scheme they've come up with.  Sony said okay, MS said not on Live.  SE so far seem to have stuck to their guns and told MS they're not going to adopt MS Live approach.  So right now I'd say FFXIV isn't so much exclusive to PS3 as not available on 360 due to MS/SE disaggrement on licencing on that platform - i.e. if MS/SE do sort it out the title will be on 360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

joeorc said:
dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
rccsetzer said:
MasterHien said:
What i think should of happen is that they should have kept FF13 (TIME EXCLUSIVES FOR PS3) because it would of droven PS3 sales of the ROOF which would increased the demand for FF13 and after a few month then release it for Xbox 360

But, unfortunatelly at the time, Sony was in no position to do that. They could do it with Final Fantasy XIV (timed exclusive?), Final Fantasy Versus XIII (exclusive) and Final Fantasy XV (i bet Square-Enix is already developing it).

at this time It most likely will only be PS3 an PC MAINLY due to the fact that it very well could be timed, but I would no hold your breath.

Don't worry. Us 360 fans will get a chance with Final Fantasy XIV. Just Microsoft has always been way to restrictive when it comes to Live

http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/20/ffxiv-discussions-with-microsoft-holding-up-360-version/

Like i said It may not even happen due to Sony Computer Ent. is the one publishing the Game, they may have an agreement that say's PC but not the xbox360.

[UPDATE: According to a press release from Square Enix debuting after the Sony press conference, FFXIV Online is in fact console-exclusive to the PS3, not an overall exclusive, showing the kind of confusing remarks often given over exclusivity in press conferences.

The release notes that the game will have "a simultaneous global release" and will be localized into English, French, German, and Japanese. The tagline is "Adventure begins anew in the vast realm of Eorzea!"

In addition, the development staff is led by producer Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy XI), with art direction by Akihiro Yoshida (Vagrant Story) and music from FF series mainstay Nobuo Uematsu.]

Take a good look at the dates of both of our articles 

Mine is labeled as August, yours June 

Around the Network

wii doesn't sell FF...

dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
rccsetzer said:
MasterHien said:

and in the new jan 10 issue of the official playstation magazine

Page 57.

Sony computer Ent. IS LISTED AS THE PUBLISHER of Final Fantasy XIV

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
dsister44 said:

Page 57.

And Gamefaqs has the publisher labeled as Square Enix 

Right here http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/data/960572.html

dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
dsister44 said:

Page 57.

that's exactly my point.

the very fact one is online one is from a published magazine, the one is in print.

one is right and one is wrong.

that would be like which would be right or which would be wrong something posted online or the official xbox magazine?

I AM BOLO

ps:

joeorc said:
dsister44 said:
joeorc said:
dsister44 said:

Page 57.

that's exactly my point.

the very fact one is online one is from a published magazine, the one is in print.

one is right and one is wrong.

that would be like which would be right or which would be wrong something posted online or the official xbox magazine?

I guess OPM knows more about Final-Fantasy XIV then Square Enix does -________-