By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did Square Enix stick with Sony?

Cause wii is wrong console for FF, 360 is a joke in Japan.

And you are left with PS3.

Around the Network
masterb8tr said:
thread fails... Better question why did square enix publis all those jrpg only for the 360?

Well, going down the list...

Final Fantasy XI: Online: Old PS2/PC port.  No real need for a PS3 version.

Infinite Undiscovery: Completely Microsoft funded and owned IP.  This is actually a MGS game, they basically just let Square Enix publish it.  It'd be like Sony letting SE publish WKC or Nintendo letting them publish Soma Bringer.

The Last Remnant: Announced and planned as a multiplatform release.  PS3 version got caught up in development hell, eventually canceled since they couldn't get it up to spec, and the game became an unintentional 360 (console) exclusive.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope: Engine already done on 360 (thank you IU), so it made sense to have a 360 lead.  Microsoft likely coughed up some moneyhats for the year long window on top of that.  Still came to PS3 eventually though.

...basically, the only real SE 360 "exclusives" were due to UE3's jankiness on PS3 and tri-Ace making a game for Microsoft previously.  Not really much worth crowing about here though, even though I liked TLR.

Onibaka said:

This is why ffxiii is not coming for Wii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs1Rqsr0rKo

This is the original concept of FFXIII. They did not want to have a "inferior" version, and back in 2005 Ps3 surely would win the nex-gen war.

rofl xD // the quality is awesome.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

trestres said:
And SE won't put another big game on the Wii save for DQX, you can quote me on it.

Define "big".  I'd say Wii's sure to get some DQ spinoffs and/or remakes in advance of DQX.  It'll also probably get a KH game, and maybe something else, like a SaGa game or other lower tier series.

Big as in important. DQX will be the last one, I don't think they will make a DQ remake. The Wii will be lucky to get a Dragon Quest Swords sequel, which was a mediocre game no one bought outside the most loyal DQ fans. Portables and HD consoles will get all the good games and new IP's. There will be no KH for the Wii, I'm willing to be quoted on that too. Reasons are, well SE doesn't like making SD games for home consoles and as already asked Nintendo to release an HD console. Plus with the huge succes of FFXIII and several other core games on the PS3, plus the option of having them released on the 360 too, I see SSE fully supporting the HD consoles, considering how much they have invested on them.

I think Wii was lucky enough to get DQX.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
Sidious said:

I don't understand Square Enix from a business standpoint.  I understand they made timed exclusives for the Xbox 360 because Microsoft gave them money to help fund most of the game and release them it on their system first but why did Square Enix stick with Sony for their biggest franchise?

They had to probably waste who knows how long just figuring out the new system and making new tools for it when they could have easily been up to speed immediately on the Wii.  They spent money like it was water when they could have had half the people working on it and finished it in half the time for the Wii.  The main Final Fantasy games practically sell themselves so Square Enix could have made more profit with the Wii. 

So why from a business standpoint would they stick with Sony?  It can't possibly be because they wanted to push hardware boundaries because the last main game was on the weakest console of last generation.  Also the last Dragon Quest game was on DS so it shows they seem to be more than willing to put their big games on less powerful systems.  It's also not a shooter game so it's not like the Wii would be at a disadvantage when it comes to sales.

So why did they do it?  Does Square Enix hate money or is money second to them compared to loyalty?  Who are we kidding, they dumped Nintendo without a second though before.  Any ideas anyone?  Why didnt the console that is kicking the Playstation 3 in hardware and software sales get the game it should have rightfully gotten?

why should'nt they?

you can see the impact FFXIII has in Japan right now.

(And btw, they had nothing to do with Xbox Consoles before, so they had to learn about MS' systems too. Maybe not as much as they had to for PS3, but it sells better, and they'll make money out of Japanese sales alone.)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

@Soriku: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176129

He's obviously indirecting asking Nintendo to have a console that could run their latest games. That's why he "expects" a Wii HD in 2011.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

MasterHien said:
Final Fantasy Series True Home is the PLAYSTATION.

uh why? Than tell me why they left their first home the Nintendo?

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Edit:Double post

They should make wii exclusive. It'll sell better. *runs*

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

trestres said:
Big as in important. DQX will be the last one, I don't think they will make a DQ remake. The Wii will be lucky to get a Dragon Quest Swords sequel, which was a mediocre game no one bought outside the most loyal DQ fans. Portables and HD consoles will get all the good games and new IP's. There will be no KH for the Wii, I'm willing to be quoted on that too. Reasons are, well SE doesn't like making SD games for home consoles and as already asked Nintendo to release an HD console. Plus with the huge succes of FFXIII and several other core games on the PS3, plus the option of having them released on the 360 too, I see SSE fully supporting the HD consoles, considering how much they have invested on them.

I think Wii was lucky enough to get DQX.

DQ remakes are basically tradition at this point, going all the way back to SFC.  It'd be the first time a console got a mainline DQ without getting a remake since the series started actually.  A DQ remake on Wii is basically a forgone conclusion imo, the only possible "out" I can see is if they released the older DQ games on Virtual Console instead... and honestly, I suspect we'll get both (DQI-VI VC and DQVII Wii).

DQ Swords sold pretty well too, better than all but 3 PS3 games in Japan even.  I guess you consider FFXIII, Yakuza 3 and MGS4 the only "huge successes" on PS3 or something? ;)

As for KH, I'm guessing we'll see what SE did with DS & PSP and give one each to Wii and PS360.  They have 2 KH teams now, they'll probably have the BBS team on Wii and the Vs team on PS360.