By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why is FF7's shocking moment considered the most shocking *spoilers*

tehsage said:

Alright, so, Aerith dies in FF7. Yes, I'm pretty everyone and their mother knows that by now. However, I'm a little curious as to why her death bothered people so much versus what has happened in other Final Fantasys.

For instance, in Final Fantasy VI, an entire kingdom is killed. AN ENTIRE KINGDOM. Pshh, we don't care about them. We only care about party members!

I'm playing Final Fantasy IV right now. It's my first time, so, no extra spoilers please. Anyhow, three people in my party have died so far. Two of which were fucking children. TWO KIDS SACRIFICE THEMSELVES. Aerith is killed. "OMG NOOOOO" Two children die. "Who cares?"

>__>; Thoughts?

This is why FFVI is awesome.

Around the Network

Entire kingdom = statistic.

Palom and Porum = kids = annoyance

Aerith = potential love interest + we were young and innocent then = HEARTBREAK!!!!!

nofingershaha said:
Entire kingdom = statistic.

Aerith = potential love interest + we were young and innocent then = HEARTBREAK!!!!!

=/ I don't even know how to respond to that.

i personally didn't give a crap about her, but if tifa died i'd give a crap.
Aerith is just that annoying useless "Princess Peach" like character that is just a plot tool.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

nofingershaha said:

True. And they were ressurected anyway.

Around the Network
Nanaki said:
nofingershaha said:

True. And they were ressurected anyway.

Oh hai. Thanks for not spoiling anything. x]

Oh, sorry, but this game is pretty old. I really didn´t though, that someone still don´t know the story.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Okay, it's Aeris, not Aerith.

I love this argument. Can't we have it?

Aerith's death was a big deal because FF VII was - and is - a big deal. That's the simple truth. It isn't considered more shocking, it's just that more people know about it. I'm sure that everyone who has played and liked FF VI for example will agree that the entire kingdom dying is a big deal. It's just that not as many have played FF VI.

du är min getsallad

blablablabla

maybe because those were 2d graphics and you can't see much, but the Aeris scene was in 3d in fmv cutscene and was in front of the screen and was a girl and more important the scene was in the best selling FF game.

FFIV went over board people were sacrificing themselves left and right, it started to get really annoying because I'm spending hours training these guys and then they go and kill themselves.

Also maybe graphics had something to do with it, when everyone played FFVII the first time it was one of the best looking games of the moment, I find it hard to get attached to a 8 bit character compared to a 3D character.