By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Super Mario Galaxy take the crown from Ocarina of Time?

RolStoppable said:
Foetoid said:
There is no way Galaxy will topple Ocarina of Time. OOT is one of the greatest games ever made and always will be, sitting on top of that gaming pile with greats such as Half-Life and Mario 64. Mario Galaxy has scored 1 point less than Mario 64 in Famitsu and i would expect that to continue elsewhere. Mario 64 was THE pioneering game that really bought forth analog controls, rumble and controlable camera angles. I know other games did it too, but Mario 64 was the first to do it right and was revolutionary for the time, mainly because 3D graphics were just rolling out properly. Mario Galaxy cant top that sort of a revolutionary game, but i think overall the game will play better.

Shindou Super Mario 64 was only available in Japan and was released after Star Fox 64 in 1997.

The review scores for Super Mario 64 on gamerankings are all for the regular version of the game (which lacks rumble support), released in 1996.

ah, starfox 64, now that was a game....even though, not as good as the original star fox

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

I don't know... I think Star Fox 64 was better than the original... All went down hill after Star Fox 64... Star Fox Adventures, Star Fox Assault, and Star Fox Command, were slaps in the face to Star Fox, and Star Fox 64.

oh, I have very fond memories of Star Fox 64.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Eh. Link to the Past is better than OoT.

/curmudgeon

I don't know... They're both amazing games. All the Zelda games are awesome!

Around the Network

Super Mario Galaxy is inches away from topping Ocarina of Time, on Game Rankings. Perhaps, Super Mario Galaxy is so good, that it may be able to defeat all the games that revolutionised certain genres, and became instant classics.

Well, expect a boatload of reviews within the next few days. When websites that didn't get a review copy go out and buy the game. Like GameRankings says, it needs 20 reviews to even be put on the list. Right now it is at 14. I expect a couple more 100's, but also some 9.0/10 and 9.5/10's.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Hopefully.

OoT's crown is very undeserving anyway. The game has been bested, time and time again. 

Yes, it was one of the top 3 games ever when it came out but times have changed.

TWW and TP do things a lot better then it, and I'm sure MM does too. (haven't played it)

The game has aged quite poorly in some aspects.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

shakarak said:
@ rol. How can u rank majoras mask as your favorite game not rank ocarina of time as your top 5. Those games are practically identical in terms of gameplay, graphics, sound, as well as the story is very similar with the same characters and what not. That just seems like a top 5 list just to be different then the rest.

Huh? I mean... do you even know Majora's Mask? 
There's a 3-day timeframe you have to travel back and forth in. The Story is 100% different from Ocarina: It's not in Hyrule, there's no Ganon, not even Zelda! The focus is on sidequests: They are essential this time. You can change costumes to become a Deku, a Goron or a Zora. It is a darker and more twisted version of a Zelda game - listen to the music...
Really, MM is as offbeat as it gets.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Actually, Majora's Mask is not as off beat as it gets. Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link is as off beat as it gets. I mean, even the title doesn't have "The Legend of Zelda" in it, and it's more of a platformer than an adventure game.