By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Super Mario Galaxy take the crown from Ocarina of Time?

lol ^

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

Around the Network

For me M64 was a better game than OoT, although I loved both. But I personally enjoy platforming quite a bit more than any other genre. So I think there is a very good chance I will like it more than those games.

As for is it the best game ever? If we go by composite review scores then I would say it has an outside chance, but most likely not due to the way the ratings/reviews are handled today (see stupid crap like R&C 7.5 etc...).

Even if it deserves a better score than those games it will likely not get it.

To Each Man, Responsibility
SeriousWB said:
super_etecoon said:
You don't understand Final Fantasy VII fanboys. In their mind it's impossible for any game to beat FFVII before they even play the game. FFVII is nothing special and was bested by FFX.

Superman64 is the greatest game of all time in any case.

^:D

I almost missed that one :) 

NO.

Nothing can and should take the crown from OoT. Absolutely best game ever when viewed in perspective. It was the first amazing 3D adventure ever and everything was right about that game.
Can't wait for a new Zelda on Wii.

Favs:

Ocarina of Time
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess
Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:
You don't understand Final Fantasy VII fanboys. In their mind it's impossible for any game to beat FFVII before they even play the game. FFVII is nothing special and was bested by FFX.

Superman64 is the greatest game of all time in any case.

I lol'd.

jhlennon1 said:
You don't understand Ocarina of Time fanboys. In their mind it's impossible for any game to beat OOT before they even play the game. OOT is nothing special and was bested by Twilight Princess.

Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game of all time in any case.

LOL :)

Having played and finished all three, I can easily state that OoT is lightyears ahead of both Twilight & FF7.

FF7 has a really cool style, a great open exploration mechanic (for most of the game), and an awesome story. But in terms of being a "game" it doesn't come even close.

I think Galaxy has a real chance of making the overall top-10 on gamerankings - but its getting pretty hard these days. You would think having more reviewers would make it easier - but it actually makes it harder. Its a lot easier for some rogue reviews to get in, and ruin the average.

It happened to Bioshock (which I personally think was overrated anyway), and also to Metroid Prime 3 (which I haven't played yet).

Metroid for example:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/928517.asp

It has 50 reviews. 35 of these are 89 are over. 5 reviews of 80% - and 1 review of 70% (thanks EDGE...).

The '80' reviews are from reputable sources such as: 'Games Are Fun', 'Games Almighty', 'Gamestyle', 'Totalvideogames' & ... 'YahooGames'. None of which are exactly sources we tend to reference or respect.

Metroid ended up with a score around 91%. 1UP gave it a 9 - and gave Galaxy a 9.5. I'd like to think that Galaxy is a 5% better game than Metroid (and will be marked as such). Long term it may be able to score an average of 96% - much will depend on what IGN give it.

(I think EDGE are also likely to be much more pro-Galaxy, than pro-Metroid - it might be able to score a 10, or a 9 at least).

The only reason Galaxy has an average of *only* 96% at the moment - is due to the review score from gameTM (who?) - who gave it a 9. Had they given it a 10, its overall average would be 99%. If it scores two more 10s, its average moves up to 98%.

If Ocarina come out this Xmas (with updated tech, visuals, etc..) - it would probably score 1-2% lower than what it scored in the past. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

IMO, no game will ever beat OoT. But Mario Galaxy will be a great game none the less.

Predictions for December 31st 2008:
Wii 38,000,000
DS 84,500,000
PS3 17,000,000
PSP 41,000,000
X360 23,000,000

@shams: OoT is "light years ahead" of Twilight Princess? I don't think so.

TP is basically a bigger, prettier, and all-around better 3-D Zelda. The only reason why OoT has higher scores is that it was revolutionary, rather than evolutionary, for its time.

Also, lol @ FF7 having a "really cool style" and an "awesome story." Maybe it did when you were 13, but nowadays, nope.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

I think that's exactly the point Garcian, and why I can't see OoT being topped.. The timing.