By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Insomniac's Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

long read but good read... i like most of his points of view.. ps2 owners arent like to get a ps3 to maybe late this year or sometime in the future... i like that article good post to whoever posted it... everything sony does gets critiscized by most but if it was the 360 or wii it would be a nonstory... like for instance all thos 360 owners who are gettin their account hacked only a few are talkin bout that... but its to be expected when you are top dog

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network

Diomedes1976 said: Do you really think the "war will be over " and the PS3 will dissappear into the sunset or something like that ? ...
No, but it is not unlikely, that his company wouldn't be alive anymore. The problem I see is more in the way: Sony will survive this hardships, but some of their game developers won't. Software development is not easy and is not cheap and several companies simply were only able to develop for one plattform. Due to the success of the PS-2 many decidewd to go to Sony and dedicate their resources for the PS-3. ahnd now they have their games on the console with the lowest market share and a bad software attachement rate. They don't have the long breathof Sony and you can be sure, that some of them won't survive this situation. And this influences other companies as well. I would guess that 75% of the resources that were switched to the Wii were originally dedicated for the PS-3.

jman8 said: I just wanted to refute the whole "Brian Hastings is biased; there's no point in listening to him" opinion. I'm not gonna say he's not biased at all, but Sony doesn't own his company. Insomniac's effectively a second party developer, and a damn good one at that. If Sony were to fail, Insomniac would probably not suffer all that much because they have the flexibility to develop for whatever system they want. As for the console war being over after 18 months, that is the most ridiculous statement on this thread. This generation of consoles will probably be the longest lived generation ever. With development costs sky high, this industry would collapse if a new generation appears in 5 years. Just look at all the studios that were closed down as a result of this generation's changeover. If there were a new generation in five years, so many more would be shut down. Therefore, the PS3 and 360 are gonna be around for a long time. Considering the PS2 lasted 7 years, these systems are gonna last at least 8.
The last generation was effectively decided before the XBox and Gamecube launched because the PS2 had sold more than 5 Million units in every region and secured a ton of exclusive games for the following couple of years. Hypothetically speaking it is possible that the Wii could be sitting at 24-30 Million units sold worldwide after 18 months and the PS3 could be under 12; with that much of a lead the generation could be over ... Anyways ... I wasn't saying the war would be over in 18 months but was essentially saying that even if his assumption of the Wii being a fad is true the Wii could still win because it dominated sales for long enough ...

there's no way to prove this, but i don't think there are as many angry customers as you think. I think there are a ton of very satisfied PS2 owners who are still catching up on so many of the great titles, which is why you still see PS2 sales above everything but the Wii. Those PS2 owners have yet to decide and have no reason to decide to buy a new console yet. Will they go out and buy the PS3 eventually? Maybe, maybe not. It's gonna be that demographic who decides this generation, so we have to wait for them to pick up new consoles.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

I agree with most of Brian's perspectives, actually I stated similar things on some forums but only to be slammed hard by XBox 360 or whatever fanboys... Resistance is a very good launch title, but I am really looking forward to Killzone 2, which will include fully destructable environements, being able to ride your tank through almost anything and if a rocket hits a tree will not leave the tree undamaged like in other shooters. What Brian says about the Cell processor is true, it's by far more powerful than most people realize. Killzone 2 will be the most expensive media project to come from my country ever and I think it will show! 8-)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

jman8 said: there's no way to prove this, but i don't think there are as many angry customers as you think. I think there are a ton of very satisfied PS2 owners who are still catching up on so many of the great titles, which is why you still see PS2 sales above everything but the Wii. Those PS2 owners have yet to decide and have no reason to decide to buy a new console yet. Will they go out and buy the PS3 eventually? Maybe, maybe not. It's gonna be that demographic who decides this generation, so we have to wait for them to pick up new consoles.
everyone just assumes that people are mad or assumes that the ps2 is still being bought because it broke.. hell there are anrgy customers for every console... im still pissed about my 90 day warranty for my 360 not holdin up... then when they expanded it to a year... i still was screwed over... the ps2 owners are more likely to choose ps3 but you never know

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

MikeB said: I agree with most of Brian's perspectives, actually I stated similar things on some forums but only to be slammed hard by XBox 360 or whatever fanboys... Resistance is a very good launch title, but I am really looking forward to Killzone 2, which will include fully destructable environements, being able to ride through almost anything and if a rocket hits a tree will not leave the tree undamaged like in other shooters. What Brian says about the Cell processor is true, it's by far more powerful than most people realize.
yea im looking forward to killzone myself and people do underestimate the proccessing power of the ps3... he named some first and second party exclusives i hadn heard of yet theres more than i thought

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

HappySqurriel said: and fails to realize that (in 18 months when the fad dies) every major third party publisher in the world will have focused all of their attention on the Wii because of its initial sales; essentially 75% of the best games will be completely exclusive to the Wii and the PS3 will seem like an overpriced console without any games.
The Wii's software library will largely consist of Nintendo's first and second party titles, and the third-party titles will mostly be quirky titles, party games, etc that are designed specifically to take advantage of the Wiimote. The Wii will never see "meaty" titles like Devil May Cry, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Armored Core, etc. The Wii appeals to most gamers as a secondary console. An "and" system, if you will. Most of them will have a PS3 and/or 360 "and" a Wii. The only people buying it at the exclusion of the other two consoles are parents buying it for their kids(the minority of gamers) and non-gamers who probably wouldn't have bought the other two anyway. Even so, third-parties are not just going to abandon the other two consoles and devote all of their energy to the Wii because: 1) It has substandard hardware 2) It lacks HD 3) Its online service and capabilities are considered to be by far the least impressive. This is probably the most important point taking into account how big online gaming will be this generation. I've no doubts that the Wii will be a successful system, but this craze will probably fizzle out sooner or later due to the fact that it won't have many "epic" games. As for the PS3, the only thing that's really hurting it right now is its price. All of the bad press is practically moot because most people don't go around the net reading every snippet of news article. Even with its super price, it has still managed to sell about the same number of units in the same amount of time as the 360(and would probably have more had it been available in Europe in November, although that's Sony's own fault), so all it really needs is to be at a price point that more people are willing to pay. That being said, a $100 price drop would work wonders because it put the handicapped PS3 at $400, which people don't seem to mind paying.

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

Lord N said: The Wii will never see "meaty" titles like Devil May Cry, Tekken, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear, Lost Planet, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Armored Core, etc.
"Never" is a bad word to use when every week the Wii has more titles in many of these genres announced or released; certainly, many of these games have been awful but it hasn't stopped developers from trying.
Lord N said: Even so, third-parties are not just going to abandon the other two consoles and devote all of their energy to the Wii because: 1) It has substandard hardware 2) It lacks HD 3) Its online service and capabilities are considered to be by far the least impressive. This is probably the most important point taking into account how big online gaming will be this generation. I've no doubts that the Wii will be a successful system, but this craze will probably fizzle out sooner or later due to the fact that it won't have many "epic" games. As for the PS3, the only thing that's really hurting it right now is its price. All of the bad press is practically moot because most people don't go around the net reading every snippet of news article. Even with its super price, it has still managed to sell about the same number of units in the same amount of time as the 360(and would probably have more had it been available in Europe in November, although that's Sony's own fault), so all it really needs is to be at a price point that more people are willing to pay. That being said, a $100 price drop would work wonders because it put the handicapped PS3 at $400, which people don't seem to mind paying.
1) It also has inexpensive development costs and a rapidly growing userbase 2) I was shown (as an example of the greatness of HD) a screenshot from a PS3 fan that was at under 480p and he claimed it was HD. Even the biggest PS3 boosters don't really know or care about HD ... 3) What is the percentage of gamers who have ever taken a console online? What percentage of games released for any platform have Online gameplay?

I don't think some people understand how momentum works. Ever since developers have realized the ps3 will not be the success they thought they have been moving resources to wii/360, also many exclusives of ps3 headed to 360 also. The ball has already started to roll, and pretty fast. Now the pressure is on Sony to try to lure developers back, which is not gonna be an easy task at all. Whether it be by 1 year head start or not, the fact is that right now the 360 and Wii are more rewarding right now. They have much more momentum, and a much bigger user base. Momentum builds exponentially, if 360 and Wii both have a 6-10 million console lead by the end of the year don't expect the momentum to stop. The thing that ps3 has going for it is that before launch many games were being developed for ps3, and many of them take 1-2 years to make so the effects can't clearly be seen yet. However, if sales don't start going up near the 360 level Sony isn't going to get many exclusives. You could also go into a whole different conversation about how wii and 360 have much lower prices and are much closer to a price drop then PS3. If 360 is always cheaper than ps3, 360 is gonna be the choice for most buyers.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X