By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Insomniac's Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

Q. You dont need HD video. A. If you have a screen under 10 inches for a portable, or a screen under 20 inches for your primary TV. Your right. There isnt much of a diffrence. My father in law has a 50inch SD TV. I hate playing *any* games on it. When I play something like motorstorm, or resistance for a few days, then I go over there and play something... It's like... Damn. I watch Greys Anatomy, Ugly Better, and all the prime-time shows on my TV in HD. I find the episode anywhere I can in any quality, and basically just follow the main story not even watching it, waiting for the re-run. (in HD) Q. BluRay isnt necessary. A. Ok. This has gone on even on this site. You can compress 1080p video to about 3gigs/hour for decent quality. A game like Final Fantasy that loves their pre-rendered stuff, even useing the best compression... 2 hours of FMV at 1080p... would be over half a DVD. (think 360) Leaving roughly 3GB for the game. (think half of oblivion) In 2-3 years I can see 360 games being on 3 or more discs. Q. People dont care about bad press. A. Your crazy. Go talk to someone at a local game store about the PS3, and ask them about it. One guy said. "The stability on the PS3 is a major problem. I've read it all over the internet, and read about it in reviews. Also everyone says they suck." He had NEVER seen a PS3 in action. He is down right saying their crap. I told him mine is awesome, has never crashed, and other than a lack of games, the few good ones are just beautiful. Once agian. He was anti PS3 because of what he HEARD. (press) Q. Sony is great at copying stuff.

HappySqurriel said: We dislike Sony calling something a gimick only to turn around and copy it.
A. Sony can call the Mii a gimmick because they have been building basically the same thing, MUCH longer than nintendo was. Nintendo's idea is the same as sony's except it has 1/100th the depth.
gimmick n. (Slang) advertising ploy; device, gadget; trick, scheme
Sony does tend to copy ideas, and I admit it. But HOME is *not* a copy of the Mii. Home is more Sims than Mii. Mii = design cartoony character. Sims2 = design people, and dress them. HOME = design people, and dress them, then walk around in a lobby full of advertisements. Dont be saying stuff about stuff you dont understand. People are alot like lemmings. Especially Americans. We buy what we are told is good, and we dont buy what we are told sucks.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: I watch Greys Anatomy, Ugly Better
I find this to be the most interesting thing said in the entire thread

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

sieanr said: You still have yet to tackle the big issue, why spend $600 when there is a cheaper console on the market that practically the same?
practically same, LMFAO + $200 for Live for a few years price is the same already. yet i get BR/hdmi/60gigs/wifi why would i pay same for a much inferior console ? 400 console 200 live 200 for hddvd add on 100 for wifi wow 1k, 1/3rd the hd, no hdmi..... lets go 360 Elite 470 ? + 200 hddvd + 200 live + 100 wifi damn almost $1k ..... it willl do what my PS3 does but for $370 more. That $600 spent is really looking good.

Kwaad said: I watch Greys Anatomy, Ugly Better stof said: I find this to be the most interesting thing said in the entire thread
Yeah... She's ugly, and it's better in HD.

Hus said: sieanr said: You still have yet to tackle the big issue, why spend $600 when there is a cheaper console on the market that practically the same? practically same, LMFAO + $200 for Live for a few years price is the same already. yet i get BR/hdmi/60gigs/wifi why would i pay same for a much inferior console ? 400 console 200 live 200 for hddvd add on 100 for wifi wow 1k, 1/3rd the hd, no hdmi..... lets go 360 Elite 470 ? + 200 hddvd + 200 live + 100 wifi damn almost $1k ..... it willl do what my PS3 does but for $370 more. That $600 spent is really looking good.
That's pretty much the reasoning I used to choose systems as well except i just included the true gaming features to the 360 cost. So $400 for a premium, plus $250 for live (i'm planning on owning my system for 5 years at least) equals $650. For $50 less than that, I got an inferior online service (that is improving), but I got neat features like WiFi and Blu-Ray. On top of that, I have a standard high drive so if I feel the need to upgrade, I can choose the best deal on the market. At least to me, the PS3 makes the most financial sense.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network

Kwaad said: We dislike Sony calling something a gimick only to turn around and copy it. A. Sony can call the Mii a gimmick because they have been building basically the same thing, MUCH longer than nintendo was. Nintendo's idea is the same as sony's except it has 1/100th the depth.
I was specifically refering to Motion Controllers ... But one thing is for sure, Sony was not working or 'Miis' longer. Miyamoto started developing the Mii system for the N64 but could never find a project to use them in. Just a bit of trivia, much like the face you could manipulate in Mario 64 and the original Mario Party was just a tech-demo by the guy who made 1080 snowboarding ...

Yeah...playing bowling with your Home character sure isn't a ripoff of playing bowling with Miis...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah... Bowling with your Mii's Sure isnt a ripoff of... bowling.

Hus said: sieanr said: why would i pay same for a much inferior console ? 400 console 200 live 200 for hddvd add on 100 for wifi wow 1k, 1/3rd the hd, no hdmi..... lets go 360 Elite 470 ? + 200 hddvd + 200 live + 100 wifi damn almost $1k ..... it willl do what my PS3 does but for $370 more. That $600 spent is really looking good.
What if I'm not interested in online play, or am willing to pay for a far superior set up, have no problem using an ethernet cable, and don't care about Blu-ray. Then $400 for a system is a lot cheaper than $600. If you do care about those things then yes the PS3 is a better deal but even then $600 is still a lot to ask for most households. However, I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that far more people would choose the $400 system than the $600 even knowing all that.
Kamahl said: 3rd party sales for the Wii are not very good, maybe you should think about that too. 75% of the best games exclusive to the Wii, sorry but this is just impossible. Also, the PS3 isn't overpriced, it's expensive, those 2 words have different meanings and it has some good games out and lots coming soon, specially in 1 year.
3rd party sales for the Wii haven't been bad, they aren't as great as percentage-wise Xbox or Playstation but never would be due to competition from Nintendo. Compared to the Gamecube 3rd party sales have been far better on the Wii. Here's the sales of 3 games on the Wii/PS3 and their predecessors on the GC/PS2 : System Wii / GC / PS3 / PS2 C o D 3 251k / 110k / 212k / 908k Madden 311k / 355k / 335k / 3,552k N F S:C 128k / 170k / 185k / 1,106k This is with only 20% as many Wii's as Gamecubes. As can be seen CoD3 has sold more units on the Wii than the PS3 while Madden and CoD3 have sold reasonably close. Granted the attach rate is lower on the Wii but developers care about overall sales not attach rates and so long as the Wii continues to outsell the PS3 by almost 3:1 the PS3 will never regain the monkey-stomping level of dominance the PS2 had over the GC. Well the difference between expensive and overpriced is one between fact and opinion. It's indisputable that the PS3 is expensive, but it's a matter of opinion that it's overpriced. I consider it overpriced but as a working college student any system over $300 is overpriced in my book. Ultimately I can’t imagine the Wii not being #1 not because of fanboy-ism or love of the Wiimote but for simple financial reasons. The Xbox360 and PS3 are simply too expensive to generate mass appeal. The 360 is in a position to become mass market eventually since it didn’t force everyone buying their system to also buy new expensive technology they may or may not want. But the Wii will always be far cheaper and easier to use so I doubt many casual gamers will switch by then. Also Sony is losing way way too much money on the PS3 to ever afford it achieving the status the PS2 had. Players have been spoiled by the last round of Microsoft and Sony dumping their systems to increase their market share. This round Sony has taken it to such an extreme that they face a shareholder revolt if they move the number of systems they expect. Video game companies are companies, they have to make a profit. Even Microsoft is being questioned about its massive losses for the Xbox and they will be questioned even more after their poor sales become an issue over the next couple quarters. The simple reality is that only Nintendo has a viable long-term business structure, only Nintendo is making money, only Nintendo can appeal to the casual mass market for the time being, only Nintendo doesn’t require mega development budgets, and only Nintendo can move the number of next-gen systems 3rd party developers need to reliably sell their games for a profit. Hate, or dislike, the Wii for whatever reason you want but that isn’t changing. Thanks for the correction Kwaad, read the number above NFS

albionus - correction. NFS is higher total on PS3 than Wii.