By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Insomniac's Brian Hastings speaks out on the PS3

staticneuron said: shams said: Just quickly... what a complete toss. I saw this "cut-down" summary on GameTab: ... Instead of reading the cut down summary maybe you should actually read what he said.... he does have a few good points.
Probably, but I am at work and my time on this board is short. Maybe at home I'll have a chance to read through the whole thing. If the summary is wrong then I'll have to blame that - but if its right, I don't think I want to read the whole article. My gut feeling - unless Sony drop the price by the end of the year (or drop some *real* gaming bombshells) the PS3 is really going to struggle.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

HappySqurriel said: Honestly I think he doesn't really understand why Sony will lose ... He says: And fails to recognize that this backlash is from people who owned the PS2 and are pissed-off that Sony would force them to spend $600 if they want a PS3; by the time the PS3 is at a price people want to pay the console war will be over ... and fails to realize that (in 18 months when the fad dies) every major third party publisher in the world will have focused all of their attention on the Wii because of its initial sales; essentially 75% of the best games will be completely exclusive to the Wii and the PS3 will seem like an overpriced console without any games. Edit: Whether or not he admits this, his company has invested a huge ammount based on the assumption that the PS3 will be successful; he is not an unbiased source.
Squirrel. You're just as biased as he is. 1) You always quote the high price on the PS3, 600. Not 500. Like 500 dollars isn't an option, when it is. You want anyone who reads anything you have to say about only to see the 600 number. 2) I'm sorry, is SCEA going to stop making games? The 3rd largest dev studio in the world? Uhuh. 3) 75%? Really. I don't think so. Now that PS3 has launched in Europe monthly sales worldwide for PS3/360 will be greater than Wii. Meaning 50% of gamers will be electing HD over Old technology. Maybe they have a Wii too, but on pure numbers it will be 50%. Almost none of this HD content will be coming to Wii because the games will look awful and sell terrible. i.e. Call of Duty 3 for example. They would have to get a lead as big as PS2 did to garner that, and they can't. PS2 had the lucky position of launching almost 1 1/2 year (Japan launch april 2000) before GC and Xbox. And by the time GC and Xbox launched PS2 was outselling them (Xbox and GC combined) 2 to 1. It's simply not going to turn out that way. If anything we are going to be looking at a very close race. I had a PS2, I'm not mad at all. I'm sick of playing game consoles that don't have any functionality, that was ok when I was a kid and an atari was still fun. But I have too much to do and too little time to do it in. I need my music, movies, games, internet, hi-def, pictures, etc, etc, etc. They (Sony) put together a great product and yes it's expensive. But they are not forcing anyone to buy it. They are providing great functionality and eating a lot of cost to do it. To me it would seem a company unwilling to lose money to provide a better product would be shafting the customer. Now who might always do that? And they do it because they can't survive as a company otherwise which is why they make almost all their own games. And who are you to criticize Insomniac? They've made some pretty damn good games. Sure he has an interest, but so does David Jaffe (lead design on God of War) and he'll be perfectly honest about the PS3 and why he feels it is the best system.

HappySqurriel said: to learn their lesson ... 5 Million people will not buy a PS3 without any games for it We will not get a second job in order to buy a PS3 Most of us don't care about Blu-Ray Most of us don't own a TV capable of 1080p We dislike Sony calling something a gimick only to turn around and copy it And finally, we will not spend $600 on a console when there are good consoles on the market for $100 to $400 Hus said: most.... dont look at your self and think most are the same. Most sure as hell aint the same as you. game were available from day one. any one on minimum wage can affored a PS3, only bums cant. many care about BR most will own a hdtv, 1080p is not needed omn smaller tvs. LOL you think they came up with it in a month.... ike they made home in a few months lol. millions already did spend $600 hell many spent $800! cant wont... thast just you.
English is a language; please learn it! First off, what percentage of the population owns HDTV capable displays? What percentage of the previous generation consoles were bought for $500 or $600? I could (technically) buy a PS3 today but with my rent, car payments, food and entertainment expenses can't really justify a $600 toy at the moment; on top of that I have a desire to own a house where I live and will require (approximately) $125,000 to make the 25% down payment. That's right, not everyone lives with their parents. For some reason you (and seemingly every PS3 fan) are under the belief that everyone will make the same decisions as you because they have the same priorities. The reality is that most people in this world do not think of videogames as a high priority. The reason why most game console sales are made after a system becomes $200 (or less) is because, regardless of a persons priorities, it becomes easy to afford the system. Personally, when I look at $600 I see the course I could take which will help me get a contract in the future I don't see a toy. Believe it or not, all a videogame console is, is a toy.

stof said: Hus said: dude people are to ignorant to read and think for them selfs. they prefer to be spoon fed no matte rif its BS or not. This kid is easily becoming my favourite poster.
And he edited it to remove his witty reference to fox news, but it's still great based on irony alone.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Count me in on the short-on-cash crowd. :(

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Stromprophet said: Squirrel. You're just as biased as he is. 1) You always quote the high price on the PS3, 600. Not 500. Like 500 dollars isn't an option, when it is. You want anyone who reads anything you have to say about only to see the 600 number. 2) I'm sorry, is SCEA going to stop making games? The 3rd largest dev studio in the world? Uhuh. 3) 75%? Really. I don't think so. Now that PS3 has launched in Europe monthly sales worldwide for PS3/360 will be greater than Wii. Meaning 50% of gamers will be electing HD over Old technology. Maybe they have a Wii too, but on pure numbers it will be 50%. Almost none of this HD content will be coming to Wii because the games will look awful and sell terrible. i.e. Call of Duty 3 for example. They would have to get a lead as big as PS2 did to garner that, and they can't. PS2 had the lucky position of launching almost 1 1/2 year (Japan launch april 2000) before GC and Xbox. And by the time GC and Xbox launched PS2 was outselling them (Xbox and GC combined) 2 to 1. It's simply not going to turn out that way. If anything we are going to be looking at a very close race. I had a PS2, I'm not mad at all. I'm sick of playing game consoles that don't have any functionality, that was ok when I was a kid and an atari was still fun. But I have too much to do and too little time to do it in. I need my music, movies, games, internet, hi-def, pictures, etc, etc, etc. They (Sony) put together a great product and yes it's expensive. But they are not forcing anyone to buy it. They are providing great functionality and eating a lot of cost to do it. To me it would seem a company unwilling to lose money to provide a better product would be shafting the customer. Now who might always do that? And they do it because they can't survive as a company otherwise which is why they make almost all their own games. And who are you to criticize Insomniac? They've made some pretty damn good games. Sure he has an interest, but so does David Jaffe (lead design on God of War) and he'll be perfectly honest about the PS3 and why he feels it is the best system.
I don't deny that I'm biased, but I'm not directly paid by the company I support. 1) As far as I can tell the $500 system doesn't exist; Sony has produced so few systems that they have never been available for sale. 2) They may be large but they do not sell that many games and most of their games are of questionable quality. 3) 75% of people in the Western World do not have HDTV systems yet, and I highly doubt that the XBox 360 and PS3 combined will outsell the PS2 and Wii combined because (last I checked) both of the PS2 and Wii have outsold the PS3 and XBox 360 on a world wide scale for quite a while. Even with selling 600,000 systems in Europe the PS3 will have a great deal of difficulty outselling the Wii when you compare worldwide sales in March.

As I said in another post, unless Nintendo "short-shipped" consoles this month in NA and Europe, with the PS3 at exactly 600k sales in Europe (which are being doubted by many people), the chances of seeing PS3 outselling Wii worldwide for the month aren't that good, and what happens to the sales lull the PS3 will see in Europe, if NA and Japan are any indication? And what happens when the Wii shipments start increasing? From what we hear all over, I don't expect Wii demand to be less than supply overall in North America or Europe until practically June, AT THE EARLIEST. And guess what games come out for Wii in June in North America? :) If Japan keeps up, which I don't see demand slacking at all this year, then the HD console era over there won't be nice. And that wouldn't paint a very pretty picture for the PS3 in it's home territory, would it? If this keeps up, by the time Final Fantasy XIII comes out in Japan (end of the year at earliest, I think), the Wii might have an install base advantage of almost 2, maybe even 3 million, it's already well over a million with a few short ended shipments included as we speak.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Gatta get in these discusions faster. I read the post before, and I must sayy that somee of it is BS. The PS3 will win becuase of graphics? I don't think the consumer will care much about that compaired to accesability, affodability, avalible titles, and so on.

ps3 is the best......in every aspect; why you people don't understand such a simple thing?

PLAYSTATION®3

piratikkio said: ps3 is the best......in every aspect; why you people don't understand such a simple thing?
How could we be so blind? PS3 is the best, especially when it comes to price

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"