By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama approval at 49/46, lowest in December for first-year president

Jski said:
You can do that hair trick with any one just how the human mind works. Any way dose this mean he going to be impeach or something?

I mean really people are making this seem like its a big thing its really nothing most presidents approval falls as there term goes on. Do you guys think that a president going to do every thing that every one wants all the time? That was kind of the idea behind him becoming president doing the things that need to be done and not so much what is the most popular thing. In all truth it was going to happen that his approval rating falling because when you do what is needed its going to changes the way things are and really people do not like changes even if its for the better.

1. No, this doesn't mean he's going to be impeached. It means that *if* trends hold true and his poll numbers continue to either decline or stagnate, there is very little chance he will get elected to a second term, making him only the third president in 3 decades to be a one-termer.

2. Most presidential approval ratings do decline, but the notariety in this is that he was billed with so much enthusiasm, yet has been hit so hard. He not only has had the highest approval ratings for an incoming president, but the lowest, too. He's like the Ryan Leaf of presidents.

3. I agree that a president needs to do the thing that isn't always the most popular thing, but to do the right thing. However, many see his efforts as being useless or very weak, given the amount of clout he was supposed to have coming in. He's been president for nearly a year, and hasn't really done much of anything except make America look better overseas.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

You know making America look better oversea is more then what most have done for a long time. We live in a world where every one is going to be equilibrium power to the USA very soon and this America images is very important.

WHY WHY WHY must ever president must be in 2 terms to be seen as good some of the best that we had in the past where only one and did amassing things over all and we had other who where in 2 terms and did barely any thing. On a side note 2 terms just an arbitrarily number that came from the first president and he only felt that he did all the work he could so he moved on.

At the same time what can a president do if you have to run though every small thing hell if the wording is wrong on something it will go back and be debated to death. One more side note this is getting a bit off topic but i think its important to ask do people really think that if there low to non political will to do the things that seem good why would there be a political will to do bad that is comply viable to the public? In the end it all seem to be fear mongering and people who may mean well but using the idea of doing any thing necessarily to get something done is dangerous in any light.

Smash ID: Jski - 0559-6620-9873

Add me if you wish but PM me if you do.

...Do you know who the two presidents are before Obama that were one-termers? The two termers have at least been more interesting.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Nixon and somebody else. But for obama not to get a 2nd term he'd have to really mess things up.....most get a free ride into a 2nd term.

supercat said:
Nixon and somebody else. But for obama not to get a 2nd term he'd have to really mess things up.....most get a free ride into a 2nd term.

Bush Sr.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

So what are we even talking about now? I am kind of at a lost. Yes his numbers are dipping but saying that will only go so far.... I really have come to the consultation you will believe what you want to believe regardless what the data shows you unless you take full scientific view and political are so far from that view its not funnily.
So what dose that leave us.. I say that its only been one year out of 4 so we have 3 years to go and see what happens and if he dose not mess up in the public view (meaning that he dose run for another term and dose not what crate death camps that some would like us to believe hehe) possible another term. A lot can happen in a month of work a lot more can happen in a year so with 3 more years i think its too early to say what going to become of this. I hope for the best and believe that people who are trying to play off this "fear" (as in making money off of it because they are and its foolish to think that they are not) are simply killing them self in the long run.
Hate begets hate.

Smash ID: Jski - 0559-6620-9873

Add me if you wish but PM me if you do.

NJ5 said:
IMO it's mostly due to the economy and unemployment. The US gov managed to get the GDP to increase a bit via massive stimulus spending, now they're doing stuff specifically to increase employment which may make people a bit happier in the short term... However if it goes back to being worse (which it probably will considering the massive amount of stuff which is going wrong in the world's economies), he could face a lot of pressure in 2010. Even more than he's facing now.

Interestingly he's not threating banks telling them they have to give out more loans.

This seems like a bad idea to me.

I'm surprised at this to Kasz, i think that he is wanting to be more of a positive kind of president than a liberal terror.

As for his approval ratings going down... what do you expect... so many people thought he was going to be the next coming of Jesus.

He really wasn't going to do anything but let people down...

and he's losing people on healthcare.... people are for healthcare reform but are they for this bill?

Also, for those that do... will it even pass?

Obama is losing Independents on a 2:1 margin and seniors by a wide majority. Generic ballot polls for 12-13-09 are 44% R to 37% D. That is a 7 pt swing in less than 1 yr. Id this continues, 2010 will feature huge Democratic losses and a message to the White House to prepare for 2012 and a top-notch (hopefully Romney) challenge.

As Carville said before, "its the economy, stupid!" not healthcare, stimulus, apology, and Gitmo transfers.

Obama is touching every third rail in the first year.