By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN Overall Goty Question.

IGN Overall Goty Question.

Total:0

Hey guys,

So Im kinda confused, last year we saw Fallout 3 get the goty by IGN but MGS4 was nominated as PS3s best game while fallout was 360's. I asumed that MGS4 would win as fallout was not PS3s goty. But boy I was wrong :|.

This year we saw Uncharted 2 as PS3s goty, X360s as AC2 and PC as Dragon age. Since all games are on PS3 aside from U2, shouldnt U2 be the overall winner like MGS4? Not to mention that U2 has higher score than either of the games and MGS4 did aswell (aside from GTA IV). Same goes for graphics where U2 won most and on X360 MW2 won which still is available on PS3.

Can someone explain IGNs system? Does the PS3-X360-PC game overall even matter when selecting the "overall best"?

Around the Network

I assume that the initial review scores are given by a single person, but the GOTY is selected by the entire IGN staff. So even if the review score of U2 was higher then ACII, that probably wasn't the opinion of the majority of the staff.

PSN- williwod

Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people- Mr Garrison

The staff for each console decide Console GoTY.

Every staff member at IGN decides Overall GoTY.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I'm guessing its more likely to be multiplatform since the 360 staff won't vote for a PS3 exclusive and vice-versa (not to mention the Wii).

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

epicurean said:
I'm guessing its more likely to be multiplatform since the 360 staff won't vote for a PS3 exclusive and vice-versa (not to mention the Wii).

Super Mario Galaxy was exclusive.

Okami was exclusive.

God of War was exclusive.

Half Life 2 was PC exclusive.

Battlefield 1942 was PC exclusive.

Halo: Combat Evolved was exclusive.

Hell, the only two multiplat titles were KOTOR (which was one console + PC) and Fallout 3.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Fallout 3 had quite some technical problems on the PS3 at launch.

It's because Fallout 3 on the PS3 is significantly worse than on the 360 or the PC.

The only way to have fun searching burned out buildings 99.9% full of useless crap is to do it on the PC or 360.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Yeah but I find it odd that PS3 gets U2 as Goty, X360 gets AC2. AC2 is still on PS3 but the PS3 staff figured U2 was a better choice.

So lets say the PS3 staff all say U2, Then the X360 will go AC2.
Conclusion: IGN has more X360 people? lol.

Oh well I guess this makes sense the most:
The staff for each console decide Console GoTY.

Every staff member at IGN decides Overall GoTY

yeah except there are no console specific teams at IGN anymore, there are just editors.
I fully expect IGN's overall awards to be as follows:

GOTY: Uncharted 2
Best shooter: MW2
Best action/adventure: ACII

all of this even though Uncharted 2 is an action game, and the fact that Killzone 2 won best PS3 shooter of the year (and MW2 is on PS3 and is exactly the same as the XB version)

I think they must have some odd stipulation which applies to each category of GOTY that they give that reads:
The best game that had the largest impact across all systems and viewpoints regardless of which console is actually owned.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Sorcery said:
It's because Fallout 3 on the PS3 is significantly worse than on the 360 or the PC.

The only way to have fun searching burned out buildings 99.9% full of useless crap is to do it on the PC or 360.

So what if i told you i had fun doing all of the above in Fallout 3 on the PS3?