By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN N-Podcast 60 and Summary - How Wii doesn't even compare to Current Gen.

ultraslick said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I must admit, I am surprised by some of you. I dont have a problem with you being happy, I just think some of you may need to agknowledge the fact that you could be happier."

What a dumb concept. That implies that they somehow think they are at maximum happiness.

Isnt that what wii only owners think?  They are as happy as they could possibly be with games.. right?

maximum happiness... jesus what the hell are we even talking about here guys.

Not necessarily.  I'm a Wii only owner and I certainly could wish for more.  But I don't blame Nintendo for that.  I don't have the money anymore for more than one console and graphics aren't all that important to me (hell up until two weeks ago, I still had a 20" television).  One of these days, when my daughter is done with private school, I'll probably buy a PS3 or 360.  But at the moment, there's aren't enough games on either system that would entice me to spend the money.  Uncharted, Rachet and Clank, GT5, Forza and a few others are about it.  That's not worth the expense for me.  Maybe Madden, but I'd rather EA just make the Wii version the same as the others.  I don't need it to be graphically amazing, but I don't want it to look like a cartoon either.  Just give me football dammit.  I don't care for shooters anymore.  I played almost every shooter from Castle Wolfenstein to Half Life 2 on my PC and can't stand playing with dual analog. 

So basically, I'd like better games from third parties on the Wii.  I'm happy with what Nintendo has given me this gen, but it's the other companies that have let me down.

Around the Network

i don't go to IGN often, but i think i'm just going to write them off totally

epicurean said:
I have 2 opinions on this, and Wii fans please dont bash me till you read both...

The first is that I agree with a lot of it. Not all of it (achievements being that important is definetly one of them). I stood in line for 4 hours for a Wii and was really excited for TP, but its just been one disappointment after another for me. I'm bored out of my mind with my Wii, and have only turned it on once (for Punch-Out, which I only played for 2 days) in the last year. I would describe myself as a "hard-core" gamer, and yes, they have totally lost me. I won't buy their next console.

Your arguments are absolutely valid. If you don't have the feeling Wii can give you satisfaction concerning video games than it is a must to change to another console :).

Gamerace said:
Havn't said that, Nintendo is also blind to social gaming and that desperately needs to be addressed or they will become irrelavent. 360 is leading in that department but all consoles are far, far removed from really reaching that massive market. Look at how many people play that farm game on Facebook. More than any console game, than any console game but a very long shot.

True, but local multiplayer is still more important than online (and it's genuine "social gaming"), and really, none of the solutions on the console sides are really working to expand the market or grow the industry. Microsoft may have the best online service for the core, but most people are turned off by the actual gamers...

Nintendo go to the other extreme and make connecting and communicating with friends online far too cumbersome. A midway has to be found between the two. My idea: have your Wii connected to your Facebook account so that you can automatically game with any Facebook friends who also have Wii's.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

you guys think this is bad

listen to some of the pod casts from early 07 to mid 07 (particularly 1up pdcast), the PS3 used to get destroyed in this to downright ignored

IGN is getting lower & lower now

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Gamerace said:
Havn't said that, Nintendo is also blind to social gaming and that desperately needs to be addressed or they will become irrelavent. 360 is leading in that department but all consoles are far, far removed from really reaching that massive market. Look at how many people play that farm game on Facebook. More than any console game, than any console game but a very long shot.

True, but local multiplayer is still more important than online (and it's genuine "social gaming"), and really, none of the solutions on the console sides are really working to expand the market or grow the industry. Microsoft may have the best online service for the core, but most people are turned off by the actual gamers...

Nintendo go to the other extreme and make connecting and communicating with friends online far too cumbersome. A midway has to be found between the two. My idea: have your Wii connected to your Facebook account so that you can automatically game with any Facebook friends who also have Wii's.

You're right.  1vs100 is a great step but 360 as a system is too 'core' for the mass market.   It's a system for teenaged boys in most people's mind.  But it's obvious MS wants to tap the Wii market as Avatars and Natal clearly show.   We'll see how far they get.

Nintendo's ignorance on Social Gaming is really evident in Animal Crossing Wii which could have and should have been a firebrand in bringing this to consoles.   But Nintendo really missed the mark big time.   AC:CF didn't go anywhere's near far enough in content sharing and shared online/offline experience as it could have.   IGN has a right to say Nintendo is lazy.  AC:CF is a prime example and probably the biggest missed opportunity of this generation.

I don't think they are lazy at all. AC:CF and Wii Music were the results of misunderstanding what people wanted, with AC especially they were too cautious taking an "if it ain't broke" approach.

When Matt claims that Nintendo are lazy, what he's really saying is that Nintendo are not focusing their energy on what Matt wants. Most people don't actually care about having new characters in NSMB, but he calls the fact that the two toads are just different colours as "lazy". I wonder did he notice that Luigi is just a green, slightly taller Mario... The truth is Nintendo recognize that the characters are not actually very important, just as HD graphics aren't that important. That's not laziness, that's being focussed on what matters. NSMB was made in a shorter time frame than most of Nintendo's key titles. If they focused on all the unimportant things that Matt deems to be crucial to his gaming experience, are we sure they would have made it on time?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:
psrock said:
Khuutra said:

Like what parts?

It's really not that difficult to figure out.

Oh be open and speak plain

I'm not going to bite you

I just Don't feel like starting a war today. But It's no use anyway, I have argued with MS fans, Sony FANS and many diffirent fans, sadly Nintendo fans are usually the ones I get nowhere with most of the times. It's going to be back and forth with no end in sight, it almost feels religious.

That's because it is religious. I live, eat and breathe Nintendo.

Miyamoto be praised!

Things that need to die in 2016: Defeatist attitudes of Nintendo fans

Look guys I downloaded and heard what the IGN team was saying about the Wii. Not a complete meltdown but they had some serious points that I can not ignore.

First the social gaming experience that is the Wii and it is the representative of that norm in this generation it lacks a good social online community. Damn this friendcodes and this why the virtual word of mouth can not happen with the Wii if my friends cannot see what am I playing. With so many new gamers out there Nintendo Channel and Facebook is the only place that a non gamer gets his information on games.

About the achievements I do not agree that they are as innovative as motion controls but they are cool to have as an extra motivation to replay a game, but with the prospect of proper planning on gameplay not repetition as for an example kill 200000000 enemies on screen.

Nintendo was caught by surprise with the success of the Wii and now it's too late to include all this services to a console that lacks the ability to implement them all at once, fuck they even ignored to give a proper storage solution for VC and WiiWare services. Let's hope this matters will be solved with the years to come on the Wii or even better on the next system.

I am not bashing the Wii it is my primary console this generation but I can not enjoy my experience at it's full potential. Wii Remote, Motion Plus, VC, WiiWare and games that I was always loved are inside that little white box, Nintendo must try harder adding extra horsepower to the next console, online services that equals the Xbox Live because that is the way Nintendo made me always expecting the best form them.

Demotruk said:
I don't think they are lazy at all. AC:CF and Wii Music were the results of misunderstanding what people wanted, with AC especially they were too cautious taking an "if it ain't broke" approach.

When Matt claims that Nintendo are lazy, what he's really saying is that Nintendo are not focusing their energy on what Matt wants. Most people don't actually care about having new characters in NSMB, but he calls the fact that the two toads are just different colours as "lazy". I wonder did he notice that Luigi is just a green, slightly taller Mario... The truth is Nintendo recognize that the characters are not actually very important, just as HD graphics aren't that important. That's not laziness, that's being focussed on what matters. NSMB was made in a shorter time frame than most of Nintendo's key titles. If they focused on all the unimportant things that Matt deems to be crucial to his gaming experience, are we sure they would have made it on time?

I won't argue most of what Matt/IGN/gaming elite think Nintendo should do would be pointless for what Nintendo is going for.  Including achievements.  However...

NSMBWii should, without question have had online.  After supporting online with Brawl, Kart and even Excitebots why are they ignoring it with NSMBW, WSR and Punchout?    All three would have benefited.  

WiiFit Plus should have had much more new content as far as exercises were concerned.  That is the main reason for buying WiiFIT after all.  6 new exercises is hardly worth shelling out more money, although 15 new games are welcome.   And WHY oh WHY doesn't it support WM+?  That would have enabled a lot of new exercise types, helped push WM+ sales and made sense with the name to boot.

AC:CF was far too close to AC on GC or DS and not worth a purchase for anyone who owned those versions.   It may not be broke but if your going to make a new version you have to make it different enough to be worth purchasing.

Wii Music also didn't go far enough as far as social gaming goes.  GH/RB were already superior on and off line music experiences to play with friends and make your own music.    Music selection was questionable at best too.

Plus Nintendo has always been lazy in supporting their own peripherals.  Where's the BB and WM+, WiiSpeak support?  Almost non-existant to this point.

I could go on (and on and on) but while I love what Nintendo is doing, they do leave a lot to be desired too.