By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN N-Podcast 60 and Summary - How Wii doesn't even compare to Current Gen.

ultraslick said:
This if for the wii only owners;
You can say it is for traffic if you want, but that is only the reason why they were allowed to post what they thought.
They are not fabricating the whole thing, this is how they feel.

I read through the summary, and even with the little sny additions in the OP, it still rings true.
Ask yourselves;
Would the wii be better with graphical improvements, an online system, 3rd party development?

It doesnt matter where you place the emphasis in your gaming experience, the simple answer is yes.

And imo, the GC was worlds different. It had great visuals, and the games had an overall richer feel to them. It seems like every wii game is a demo for a game that never comes.
Sure there are a very few exceptions, but that does not make the rest of the argument void.

If you are a wii only owner and you can possibly fathom any form of your wii games that could be better than they already are, (since everything can always be better)
Then seriously do yourself a favor and get a current gen system.

I understand you dont care about this or that , and games are about having fun... I agree with that, Just know that the wii is trumped on every possible level, not just visuals.

There is a whole other world out there, of GAMES. Games with amazingly rich stories, great visuals, games that will knock your socks off. There are even smaller (wii size) games that are leagues better with the XBL marketplace, and PSN store.

As a wii owner, you must admit it... its time to evolve

Not sure if this is a jokepost or not, but I'll bite.

HD graphics I get from my PC, and in my experience: no, it's neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for a great game or an epic story.

Online: For me personally, I've been doin it since 1995 and it loses its luster around the 50th time your called a string of racist swears by a screaming 15 year old. A little trip to the World of Warcraft message boards tells you all you need to know about online audiences.  They're essentially the bottom of humanity's barrel.  Even if you become that guy who can beat anyone else all the time in whatever popular game, trust me it gets really, really boring, not to mention all the hate is directed at you specifically.  So even being the best at a game is a miserable experience.

3rd party support: Nintendo hasn't had it since the SNES days, they didn't have it coming out of the gate, they don't even have it with a commanding lead in sales. Do you honestly think this was the magical generation when 3rd parties would actually give a shit about Nintendo if they just caved in and went HD?  You and I both know 3rd parties would just go "suckers! we're not supporting your ass!" Aside from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories there isn't a single solitary game on that console that 3rd parties put any real effort into, it's all been rehashes, remakes, or half-assed attempts to cash in.

The GC was awesome because Nintendo held it afloat, like they always do.  They can get away with this because there's no better developers or publisher in the world--not even close.

No need for a next gen system for me, had a Xbox 360 (3 times! yaa RROD) and I have a PC which does way more epic with much better graphics and a lot better controller (or if I have to I can just plug in a 360 controller).

As far as great stories, video game writers have about as much talent as a high school freshman Star Trek slash fic writer. They've always been horrible, sad, pathetic souls. If you don't believe me invite over a bunch of non-gamer friends have them sit through the cutscenes of MGS 4 and tell me how hard they laugh. 

This idea that somehow the HD twins and hardcore gaming are the holy grail of video games is just flat out delusional bullshit. There's almost more Wiis than both HD twins combined.  I mean there's more WiiFits sold than the top 4 PS3 games combined.  Developers are already dropping like flies this generation because they can't keep up with development costs to make games for a shrinking number of hardcore gamers.

Nintendo has survived precisely because they evolve and adapt and have been since the arcade days.  Evolve is an ironic word choice considering hardcore gaming has officially been relegated to the niche where it's dying with every HD flop while the games you're so eager to take a giant shit on bring new people into the fold and crowd you out.

To quote George Orwell:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine Mario standing over Master Chief and Kratos goin "HEY BITCHES TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTE!"

Or maybe it was "... imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

I always get my quotes mixed up.

Around the Network
malcbear said:
ultraslick said:
You can say it is for traffic if you want, but that is only the reason why they were allowed to post what they thought.

I read through the summary, and even with the little sny additions in the OP, it still rings true.
Ask yourselves;
Would the wii be better with graphical improvements, an online system, 3rd party development?

It doesnt matter where you place the emphasis in your gaming experience, the simple answer is yes.

And imo, the GC was worlds different. It had great visuals, and the games had an overall richer feel to them. It seems like every wii game is a demo for a game that never comes.
Sure there are a very few exceptions, but that does not make the rest of the argument void.

If you are a wii only owner and you can possibly fathom any form of your wii games that could be better than they already are, (since everything can always be better)

I understand you dont care about this or that , and games are about having fun... I agree with that, Just know that the wii is trumped on every possible level, not just visuals.

There is a whole other world out there, of GAMES. Games with amazingly rich stories, great visuals, games that will knock your socks off. There are even smaller (wii size) games that are leagues better with the XBL marketplace, and PSN store.

As a wii owner, you must admit it... its time to evolve.

Wow, what a load of BS. The only thing that would make the wii better would be a better online system, cuz I believe that it needs some work, but it's ok (IMO). Apparently you don't have a wii so......how do you know how fun a good wii game is. Don't talk like the wii is not a current gen system, for the last freakin' time it's a current gen system. In this phrase:

"If your are a wii only owner and you can pssible fathom any form of your wii games that  could be better than they already are (since everything can always be better)....."

I can replace the word "wii" with any other name of a game system and it wouldn't make a difference. Do you seriously think that this phrase only applies to the wii? You are seriously mistaken my good sir.....good day to you!

Of course not, I know the PS3 and 360 could be better.. but at this moment in time there are no other consoles to buy other than the 3 we have now. If there was, then I would buy said console.. the same way some should buy something other than a wii.

I must admit, I am surprised by some of you. I dont have a problem with you being happy, I just think some of you may need to agknowledge the fact that you could be happier. I think the following term is applicable here; ignorance is truly bliss as a wii only owner. (but only in some cases)

but ignorant is a strong word, I am not calling anyone ignorant.. it's just a phrase.

obviously if you only play wiifit and wiisports.. etc, then yes, the wii is great, and that is that.

I love the manners around here, everyone says "good day to you sir"

so

Good day to you too sir! Good Day!? Good Day! faa laa laa Good Day to you, hmmmm and to you! Good day! (picture a whole bunch of monopoly guys sitting around drinking tea)

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

^I don't see how adopting the failed strategies of the PS3 and 360 could make me happier

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ultraslick said:

Of course not, I know the PS3 and 360 could be better.. but at this moment in time there are no other consoles to buy other than the 3 we have now. If there was, then I would buy said console.. the same way some should buy something other than a wii.

I must admit, I am surprised by some of you. I dont have a problem with you being happy, I just think some of you may need to agknowledge the fact that you could be happier. I think the following term is applicable here; ignorance is truly bliss as a wii only owner. (but only in some cases)

but ignorant is a strong word, I am not calling anyone ignorant.. it's just a phrase.

obviously if you only play wiifit and wiisports.. etc, then yes, the wii is great, and that is that.

I love the manners around here, everyone says "good day to you sir"

so

Good day to you too sir! Good Day!? Good Day! faa laa laa Good Day to you, hmmmm and to you! Good day! (picture a whole bunch of monopoly guys sitting around drinking tea)

I have a  Wii and a 360. I readily admit I could be happier with my Wii. I cannot think of anything it stands to gain from the 360 though. If I had to choose between them it would be the Wii everytime. Not even a moments hesitation quite frankly. I seriously cannot think of one feature from the 360 I would even want on my Wii, or even notice if it were implmented.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

ultraslick said:

I must admit, I am surprised by some of you. I dont have a problem with you being happy, I just think some of you may need to agknowledge the fact that you could be happier.

It depends on how you quantify happy. I'm a married guy with friends who come over to my house and visit on Saturdays and Sundays.  That's 2 days a week the Wii definitely gets play while a 360 or PS3 would not. Not all of my friends are gamers but all of them understand how to hold down the "go" button while turning a plastic wheel.  They all know what golf is (or can make an approximation), surprisingly a lot of those non-gamers play the ever loving hell out of Smash Bros. My house has become the place to be because there's no better system for a group of people to sit around and play.

So let's say for the sake of argument you have a group of friends who come over on the weekends, from all different walks of life INCLUDING people who used to view video games as something only a shut-in neckbeard manbaby would do. What kind of a breakthrough do you think a PS3 or 360 would have on these people?

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:
ultraslick said:

Ask yourselves;

As a wii owner, you must admit it... its time to evolve

Not sure if this is a jokepost or not, but I'll bite.

HD graphics I get from my PC, and in my experience: no, it's neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for a great game or an epic story.

Online: For me personally, I've been doin it since 1995 and it loses its luster around the 50th time your called a string of racist swears by a screaming 15 year old. A little trip to the World of Warcraft message boards tells you all you need to know about online audiences.  They're essentially the bottom of humanity's barrel.  Even if you become that guy who can beat anyone else all the time in whatever popular game, trust me it gets really, really boring, not to mention all the hate is directed at you specifically.  So even being the best at a game is a miserable experience. I will agree, those people do exist, but nothing tops it when you and your friends (when they cant be there in person) are all teaming up and communicating in real time while playing an online game, I have learned to just mute the assholes.

3rd party support: Nintendo hasn't had it since the SNES days, they didn't have it coming out of the gate, they don't even have it with a commanding lead in sales. Do you honestly think this was the magical generation when 3rd parties would actually give a shit about Nintendo if they just caved in and went HD?  You and I both know 3rd parties would just go "suckers! we're not supporting your ass!" Aside from Silent Hill: Shattered Memories there isn't a single solitary game on that console that 3rd parties put any real effort into, it's all been rehashes, remakes, or half-assed attempts to cash in. Very interesting... this is soo sad though, (I mean that sincerely)

The GC was awesome because Nintendo held it afloat, like they always do.  They can get away with this because there's no better developers or publisher in the world--not even close. Hell yeah GC!, I still remember how awesome Zelda was (the same one thats on wii) and it was so impressive that GC got Resident Evil 4 exclusive... such a great game at the time

No need for a next gen system for me, had a Xbox 360 (3 times! yaa RROD) and I have a PC which does way more epic with much better graphics and a lot better controller (or if I have to I can just plug in a 360 controller). WIth an up to date gaming PC, I can see not having alot of time for consoles, but I think you may be mising out on some PS3 exclusives, as I am sure you know

As far as great stories, video game writers have about as much talent as a high school freshman Star Trek slash fic writer. They've always been horrible, sad, pathetic souls. If you don't believe me invite over a bunch of non-gamer friends have them sit through the cutscenes of MGS 4 and tell me how hard they laugh.  In general you are right, but siting MGS4 for plot... NObody knows what the hell is going on in MGS, its so crazy and convoluted, but thats why its great. But there are great stories out there... Uncharted, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Dead space to name a few

This idea that somehow the HD twins and hardcore gaming are the holy grail of video games is just flat out delusional bullshit. There's almost more Wiis than both HD twins combined.  I mean there's more WiiFits sold than the top 4 PS3 games combined.  Developers are already dropping like flies this generation because they can't keep up with development costs to make games for a shrinking number of hardcore gamers. I dont know what to say here... those seem somewhat unrelated. I never said anything baout a holy grail.

Nintendo has survived precisely because they evolve and adapt and have been since the arcade days.  Evolve is an ironic word choice considering hardcore gaming has officially been relegated to the niche where it's dying with every HD flop while the games you're so eager to take a giant shit on bring new people into the fold and crowd you out. I know, pretty soon we will just have 3 wii's next gen and I will have to tear my hair out and start playing PC games... NOOO.  LOL, you are funny

To quote George Orwell:

If you want a vision of the future, imagine Mario standing over Master Chief and Kratos goin "HEY BITCHES TELL ME HOW MY ASS TASTE!"

Or maybe it was "... imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

I always get my quotes mixed up.

Kudos to you sir!, I enjoyed your post immensely. I was lol'ing after that quote

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Malstrom's blog got more hits and traffic due to this podcast than IGN did, just a quick scan of various boards seems to indicate most people didn't bother listening to the podcast after hearing how bad it was, lol

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

ultraslick said:

Ask yourselves;

As a wii owner, you must admit it... its time to evolve.

Oh god, get off your high horse. I've got both a Wii and a 360 and I think the Wii is at the very least 10 times better.

cAPSLOCK said:
ultraslick said:

I must admit, I am surprised by some of you. I dont have a problem with you being happy, I just think some of you may need to agknowledge the fact that you could be happier.

It depends on how you quantify happy. I'm a married guy with friends who come over to my house and visit on Saturdays and Sundays.  That's 2 days a week the Wii definitely gets play while a 360 or PS3 would not. Not all of my friends are gamers but all of them understand how to hold down the "go" button while turning a plastic wheel.  They all know what golf is (or can make an approximation), surprisingly a lot of those non-gamers play the ever loving hell out of Smash Bros. My house has become the place to be because there's no better system for a group of people to sit around and play.

So let's say for the sake of argument you have a group of friends who come over on the weekends, from all different walks of life INCLUDING people who used to view video games as something only a shut-in neckbeard manbaby would do. What kind of a breakthrough do you think a PS3 or 360 would have on these people?

I assume thats rhetorical, but there are definitely less prevelant examples Buttt..

Singstar (games are great) You sing, it records you, it uploads the video, you view others singing like idiots, then rate them.. its a good time, any rockband/guitar hero/dj hero, buzz quiz tv, jeopardy, wheel of fortune, Little Big Planet, 1 vs 100.

I think the whole Play -Create-Share thing on consoles is really taking off.

I wouldnt call any of those things break throughs, but that sense of community and connection is there.  

haha neckbeard manbaby.. you're hilarious

steven787 said:

http://wiimovies.ign.com/wii/audio/article/105/1055198/nintendoepisode60.mp3

-Wii sucks because PS3/360 have achievements.
-Achievements are an innovation as big as motion controls. Achievements are a better innovation than motion controls.
-When you play Wii games, you do not feel any accomplishment.
-Mad World is awesome, it would have sold if it had achievements and social networking.
-Wants the Miis to copy Avatars in having clothes.
-Mentions Wii Sports Resort and other games by saying it has achievements in it. But says it doesn’t matter because the achievements do not go ‘beyond the game’.
-Mention people in the comments defending Nintendo. “Nintendo fanboys have brainwashed themselves.” IGN staff then mocks Nintendo fans by pretending to be brainwashed: “I don’t want achievements!” “I don’t want HD!” “I don’t want to just sit on the couch and just play!” “I don’t want to get up and wave my arms!”
-Quote: “Turning on my Wii is a very lonely experience” because Wii doesn’t have some Xbox Live system.
-”I don’t know anyone in the Bay area who doesn’t live with a room-mate.” (Not sure I want to interpret that…)
-Podcast then switches to talking about Cassamassina’s “Nintendo is lazy” column.
-Talks about how Gamecube Nintendo used to push big huge games with cutting edge graphics.
-Says Nintendo stopped doing this because they couldn’t compete. (No mention of Blue Ocean Strategy.)
-”Wii has been phenomenally successful, but it is the first Nintendo console I do not want to play.” “A great example of this would be the new Super Mario Brothers for the Wii.”
-Mario 5 doesn’t set the world on fire in how it uses the Wii. It is just “Here’s the game!”
-Call Mario 5 a DS port. “Nintendo just took everything that worked on the DS and just put it on the Wii.”
-”That is how Nintendo has been so financially successful.”
-Says there was no money put into Mario 5. No money for Research and Development.
-Wii is a Gamecube with a new peripheral.
-Nintendo has given up the battle of the epic games to Microsoft and Sony. “Absolutely,” replies another.
-Nintendo doesn’t care to enter the battle of Microsoft and Sony. “And I think it is hurting them in the long run.”
-Nintendo needs to go after the hardcore. One person says their mom has a Wii and hasn’t bought a game for it.
-One person used his Mom’s Wii, puts in the new Mario game, declares the Wii controllers are all dead, then updates the Wii’s firmware. Then says he updates the firmware yet again.
-Craig Harris: Mario Galaxy is epic because of its story (as well as its texture mapping and cutscenes). However, Galaxy isn’t as good as games on the HD Twins because games on the HD Twins have more epic stories.
-Craig Harris isn’t happy how people accept what Nintendo is doing by not putting epic stories into their games. “Link doesn’t talk!”
-Craig Harris after demanding that Nintendo games have voice acting: “I really want to play games like Uncharted 2 on the Wii.”
-”Assassin’s Creed 2 feels like a Mature Zelda game.”
-Craig Harris: “I know video games are in the money making business. But companies like Microsoft and Sony are doing certain things and if Nintendo is going to sit back and relax…”
-”They’re betting that the casual market will be there forever.”
-Nintendo is doomed because Wii is going to become like the N64. Sony is going to sneak up through them.
-”Wii totally reminds me of how it is used in casual households is like the crappy systems you see in Walgreens when you are checking out. Plug and play guitars!” “It’s like a little gimmick when you want to do something with it.”
-Keeps attacking the “casual audience”.
-Likens the “casual players” to what caused the Atari crash in 1983 (not joking, they said it).
-Says Nintendo is where it is at the end of the latter SNES days where Nintendo is sitting comfortably and getting ready to make the N64. Says Nintendo will fall once Sony Wand and Microsoft Natal get released.
-Mentions an email where it asks Cassamassina, “Why don’t you go after Nintendo for being lazy with Mario Galaxy? It is, after all, tons of recycled content with purple coins and all.” They say this doesn’t count since “all games have that.”
-Start bashing Phantom Hourglass.
-Says Wii is best when emulating the PC. “like games as World of Goo.”
-Says if you are a new consumer looking for motion control, you will be wowed by Natal and Wand.
-Say they like Wand because they actually hold it.
-Others say they are skeptical of both Natal and Wand since they are copying what Nintendo is doing.
-Another email says NSMB Wii is being knocked more than it should. Is annoyed people are bashing the side scroller. They disagree with the email and says Nintendo didn’t do anything with Mario 5 except putting out a red box.
-In a Japanese magazine, Miyamoto says he wanted the gameplay to be the same for all four characters in Mario 5.
-Reads an email who says that Mario 5 was scored too high by IGN and should be below an 8.
-Says Gamecube was a hardcore system (I thought it was a kiddy system?)
-Starts bashing Animal Crossing Wii and Wii Music.
-”What is the point of complaining?” says an email. “Because we got tons of comments and tons of traffic,” answers Harris. This is perhaps why this podcast is so intentionally bad.
-Bashes the Quarter 1 release schedule from Nintendo.
-Talk about their favorite Wii games. Mention Mario Kart Wii and Boom Blox.
-Doesn’t know why Excitebots isn’t selling.
-Harris admits he thinks Mario 5 is one of the top games for the system (odd for bashing it so much earlier in this podcast)
-One email asks if Blaster Master sells well on VC, will it get a sequel? (Doesn’t appear they answer this.)
-Says no one will try a VC game they haven’t played.
-Email complains about how Daemon’s WiiWare reviews all complain about leaderboards not being online.
-Tells developers, who might be listening, that it is 2010 that they should only put arcade games with online leaderboards.
-Email asks if Project Hammer being resurrected with Motion Plus. No answer, just hyena sounds as they laugh at their own jokes you can’t make out.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/12/15/ign-continues-to-meltdown/

Wow! that is spot on! couldn't have said it better myself!