By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Alby_da_Wolf said:

axt113 said:

[...]

Nope its confirmed

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7619

This really sucks for those using that feature (unless Sony changes its mind another time).

I wonder why Malstrom linked a page that temporarily denied it...

They likely didn't deny it when he made the post.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Zelda is probably becoming irrelevant on the DS....its been a while since we got an Oracle of Seasons/Minish Cap type deal where the title pretty much a successor to the SNES Zelda.

As for the console.... I can't see how one 'misstep' with Twilight Princess is proof of the series being in decline. It is the second best-selling Zelda and only seems to not be in public awareness because A) it originated on the loser Gamecube and B) is not the best in the series to begin with.

As for irrelevance, we haven't seen a new Zelda console game in 4 years. Anything can become irrelevant in that span of time.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Squilliam said:
UncleScrooge said:
@Alby:

Oh and Natal is not disruptive! Nintendo is disruptive but Microsoft is only trying to counter-act this so this is not a disruption. Natal would be disruptive if it offered something completely new, with a different business model, etc. But Microsoft is only adapting to Nintendo's rules.

I say it is. The more I think about Natals gaming applications the more im drawn to the true value of Natal is not that its a controller or that its different to the Wii or PS3s versions of the controller but the potential to disrupt the normal business practices of the market. Nintendo created the modern closed box console ideal, Sony introduces a razor/blades mentality to take over a market which had similar offerings by taking a hit on initial sales but reaping the reward long term and finally I believe Natal changes things up again by introducing an OEM mentality where the added value of Natal is in bundling the entire console and interface into completely new products.

The value of Natal is as a hands free generic interface which is useful for televisions and other media watching as well as accessing additional content outside of the typical broadcast model like for instance internet TV and media stored at home. The disruption is against the typical TV remote control which has become overcomplicated with time and most people cannot figure out how to use it or the features of their TV. They know what they want, they can say what they want to watch but many cannot easily perform the actions to do it efficiently. This is where Natal comes in, its a way to both make controlling the TV easier and freeing people from the bonds of being forced to hold a remote control. People only have two hands and technology which frees them of their burdens and provides addition options whilst doing so can be very compelling.

The model as I see it is this; the person buys the interface by buying the TV which has Natal built in and they get the Xbox 360 automatically as the one package. This isn't disruption of the market in the Wii sense, its more along the lines of how Sony won with the PS1 its a change in business practices. The idea is to get as many Xbox 360s with Natal emplaced around the world and then afterwards figure out how best to sell software. The Natal idea is to disrupt the typical TV/human interface and in doing so leverage that as an advantage in the console space. The reason why Xbox Live still costs is that Microsoft needs a carrot for TV manufacturers whom are struggling with low margins on long term sale products to give them a great financial incentive to get on board.

You make a valid point, but i suppose that brings in the question of Microsoft's broader strategy beyond gaming. It could potentially be a coup in light of a convergence strategy (if Microsoft has one, and i think it's apparent they do). The question is if it would truly be disruptive in the gaming space itself.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Khuutra said:

In that case I'll back off on that front, since there hasn't been a huge explosion in mindshare for Zelda since 2004, but in fairness that may have more to do with the way people approach the handheld games than anything else.

Plus the mindshare was more about the gaming press than the mainstream. In some articles he discusses how people who don't play today's games would play older Zelda games. This is apparently what Nintendo has been going for since Wind Waker had mediocre sales in Japan. And Japan sales does matter, since the NSMB sales versus Galaxy (5 million to 1 million) inspired NSMBWii.

Oh I agree that Japanese sales matter, but it's not exactly clear how Nintendo is supposed to restrengthen the brand in that region. Spirit Tracks takes enormous - enormous - leaps in the right direction in making Zelda a more arcadey experience, albeit with heavy puzzle elements rather than actiony ones, but that has not sparked greater interest in the games again.

I actually share his expectation of an extreme series reboot (in his case it may be more of a hope) and I also expect that, if they pull it off, it will be the biggest game in the franchise's history, but I do not acknowledge the idea that the series has become less relevant or interesting or genuine over time.

Bold. Zelda taking enourmous leaps in the right direction + not sparking sales = does not compute.

Zelda is one thing that Malstrom is very right on. First we had Ocarina of Time wich was a complete masterpiece. Then we had Zelda with Masks, then Zelda with boats then Ocarina of Time but with dumbed down difficulty and item usage (Twilight princess) and now Zelda with more boats and Zelda with TRAINS!? WTF!?

Nintendo is ruining the Zelda universe. There are no trains in a fantasy world, it's supposed to be medieval. Majoras Mask got that wrong too. 

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Ocarina of time, not another Zelda with [Random gimmick]

What will become an enourmous leap in the right direction will hopefully be Zelda Wii. As long as it doesn't have a random unfitting gimmick like MM or ST. (I don't like using the word gimmick in conjunction with nintendo, because of all false accusations of Wii being gimmicky, but when talking about the newer Zelda games, there really isn't a better word to describe them)

I LOVE ICELAND!

LordTheNightKnight said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

axt113 said:

[...]

Nope its confirmed

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=7619

This really sucks for those using that feature (unless Sony changes its mind another time).

I wonder why Malstrom linked a page that temporarily denied it...

They likely didn't deny it when he made the post.

I thought the same thing, initially, that maybe he linked the latest news or home page, so it changed under his nose, but he actually linked that specific page, that's what deceived me (and having previously read the bad news here, I thought that denial was the latest and definitive word).

Damn! This voids one piece of evidence that could have come handy for a crazy theory of mine about Malstrom...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Zelda needs a huge makeover. It can be a great bridge title (like Mario Kart wii and New super mario bros. wii) and the biggest showcase for the WM+ if Nintendo pays close attention.

While I think Malstrom is over exaggerating the decline of Zelda, I do think it would serve the series well to go back to roots. That is, open-ended, somewhat non linear exploration and fast paced, arcade style combat, especially with the implications of Motion plus.

Metallicube said:

While I think Malstrom is over exaggerating the decline of Zelda, I do think it would serve the series well to go back to roots. That is, open-ended, somewhat non linear exploration and fast paced, arcade style combat, especially with the implications of Motion plus.

Well, what we can all agree on, is that once again, all eyes are on Nintendo. If Zelda doesn't outsell every previous one (which in the eyes of the media, it must do) it will be...an underperformer.

The pressure's pretty much on, but at least Monster Hunter 3 inspired Ninty to step the graphics up. As long as they designate it to be a powerhouse like NSMB it should do fine. However, they might have to make sacrifices in order to do so.

E3 will be oh so interesting

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

KungKras said:

Bold. Zelda taking enourmous leaps in the right direction + not sparking sales = does not compute.

Zelda is one thing that Malstrom is very right on. First we had Ocarina of Time wich was a complete masterpiece. Then we had Zelda with Masks, then Zelda with boats then Ocarina of Time but with dumbed down difficulty and item usage (Twilight princess) and now Zelda with more boats and Zelda with TRAINS!? WTF!?

Nintendo is ruining the Zelda universe. There are no trains in a fantasy world, it's supposed to be medieval. Majoras Mask got that wrong too. 

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Ocarina of time, not another Zelda with [Random gimmick]

What will become an enourmous leap in the right direction will hopefully be Zelda Wii. As long as it doesn't have a random unfitting gimmick like MM or ST. (I don't like using the word gimmick in conjunction with nintendo, because of all false accusations of Wii being gimmicky, but when talking about the newer Zelda games, there really isn't a better word to describe them)

I hope you can appreciate the degree of restraint I am showing, here.

Malstrom specifically names the "Ocarina games" - including Majora's Mask - as Zelda games that did it right.

And Phantom Hourglass did have sparkling sales. It's one of the best-sellign titles in the franchise. Twilight Princess even moreso.

Your presupposition concerning what constitutes proper fantasy does not preclude other interpretations of that idea.

Mr Khan said:

You make a valid point, but i suppose that brings in the question of Microsoft's broader strategy beyond gaming. It could potentially be a coup in light of a convergence strategy (if Microsoft has one, and i think it's apparent they do). The question is if it would truly be disruptive in the gaming space itself.

I would suggest its more along the lines of being disruptive in terms of how the hardware is sold and packaged. So instead of buying a console and interface for gaming you buy a TV which can also play games. Its an entrance at the lowest end of the market where people who would not have otherwise even considered purchasing a gaming machine end up with one and that creates the opportunity to sell more advanced programming to them starting with their prime-time interactive quiz shows etc. You could say Natal is for Not gamers whilst the Wii is for non gamers if that makes sense to you?

Tease.