By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Khuutra said:
KungKras said:

Bold. Zelda taking enourmous leaps in the right direction + not sparking sales = does not compute.

Zelda is one thing that Malstrom is very right on. First we had Ocarina of Time wich was a complete masterpiece. Then we had Zelda with Masks, then Zelda with boats then Ocarina of Time but with dumbed down difficulty and item usage (Twilight princess) and now Zelda with more boats and Zelda with TRAINS!? WTF!?

Nintendo is ruining the Zelda universe. There are no trains in a fantasy world, it's supposed to be medieval. Majoras Mask got that wrong too. 

I'm still waiting for a proper sequel to Ocarina of time, not another Zelda with [Random gimmick]

What will become an enourmous leap in the right direction will hopefully be Zelda Wii. As long as it doesn't have a random unfitting gimmick like MM or ST. (I don't like using the word gimmick in conjunction with nintendo, because of all false accusations of Wii being gimmicky, but when talking about the newer Zelda games, there really isn't a better word to describe them)

I hope you can appreciate the degree of restraint I am showing, here.

Malstrom specifically names the "Ocarina games" - including Majora's Mask - as Zelda games that did it right.

And Phantom Hourglass did have sparkling sales. It's one of the best-sellign titles in the franchise. Twilight Princess even moreso.

Your presupposition concerning what constitutes proper fantasy does not preclude other interpretations of that idea.

Malstrom himself does not like Ocarina that much, he got bored of it. And he most certainly doesn't think Majoras Mask was Zelda done well.

He only names Ocarina because it doesn't have all the fluff from the later games and has a rich overworld and elements from the arcade like combat in the old Zelda games (in tems of the intensity in some of the fights and areas). He does not think Majoras mask is a good Zelda since it's just Ocarina of Time with a different spin.

What I mean by proper fantasy is that ALL Zelda games from the first all the way to Ocarina of time had a classic fantasy setting. Nintendo has already defined the universe, they can't just change those definitions, Zelda is supposed to be medieval, always has, always should have been. Changes to an already defined universe are unnecessary and only confuses people.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
KungKras said:
Khuutra said:

I hope you can appreciate the degree of restraint I am showing, here.

Malstrom specifically names the "Ocarina games" - including Majora's Mask - as Zelda games that did it right.

And Phantom Hourglass did have sparkling sales. It's one of the best-sellign titles in the franchise. Twilight Princess even moreso.

Your presupposition concerning what constitutes proper fantasy does not preclude other interpretations of that idea.

Malstrom himself does not like Ocarina that much, he got bored of it. And he most certainly doesn't think Majoras Mask was Zelda done well.

What I mean by proper fantasy is that ALL Zelda games from the first all the way to Ocarina of time had a classic fantasy setting. Nintendo has already defined the universe, they can't just change those definitions, Zelda is supposed to be medieval, always has, always should have been. Changes to an already defined universe are unnecessary and only confuses people.

Yet he named those two games - Ocarina and Majora's Mask - as possessing the quality of relevance that he feels later games lack. My point stands.

Your point concerning fantasy still doesn't stand, save as a point of continuity, and even that only matter for people who have already played the games, which isn't the largest possible audience here.

I edited my post.

I can look up malstrom articles where he complains about both Ocarina and Majoras Mask, but please don't make me do that today, I have to get some sleep soon.

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
I edited my post.

I can look up malstrom articles where he complains about both Ocarina and Majoras Mask, but please don't make me do that today, I have to get some sleep soon.

I'm sure he dislikes them, but that has nothing to do with the subject at hand. To wit:

Why Zelda games cannot match the social phenomenons the 8-bit/16-bit and Ocarina games did.
This has nothing to do with his liking for the games or even their quality, just that Majora's Mask was a social phenomenon.

Him liking the games have nothing to do with it - in this case he's not acting as a critic save in some isolated clauses that I addressed in other posts, and not in this conversation.

Whaaaaat? malstorm thinks zelda is in decline? I think its doing the oppsite.

This is why I don't trust his tastes. They are much diffrent from mine. Though I do agree that they are basicly Zelda with [insert random thing here]

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
Whaaaaat? malstorm thinks zelda is in decline? I think its doing the oppsite.

This is why I don't trust his tastes. They are much diffrent from mine. Though I do agree that they are basicly Zelda with [insert random thing here]

I have to agree with Malstrom, Zelda hasn't interested me in a good long while (well except for the thoughts of Princess Zelda being part of a lesbian orgy), and unless Zelda Wii really gets back to its roots, I'm probably going to skip it

Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Malstrom is still stupid about Zelda."

How? The sales are still declining and the series is still not a system seller since Ocarina, especially in Japan.

You can make an argument that sales are declining on the DS, though that's somewhat premature, but the actual sales of the series are not declining at all - Twilight Princess is the second-best selling entry in the franchise, Phantom Hourglass outsold the originnal iteration of Link's Awakening and Link to the Past, on and on and on.

The reason that Malstrom is stupid about Zelda is that he fails to recognize that the Zelda series has significant zeniths and nadirs over time, in terms of sales, but is trending roughly the same now as it's been trending for the past twenty-three years. Maybe better.

Twilight Princess was also a launch title for the Wii. All launch titles get a boost in sales. Also, none of the games have out preformed Orcarina, meaning something is wrong.

Smashchu2 said:
Khuutra said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"Malstrom is still stupid about Zelda."

How? The sales are still declining and the series is still not a system seller since Ocarina, especially in Japan.

You can make an argument that sales are declining on the DS, though that's somewhat premature, but the actual sales of the series are not declining at all - Twilight Princess is the second-best selling entry in the franchise, Phantom Hourglass outsold the originnal iteration of Link's Awakening and Link to the Past, on and on and on.

The reason that Malstrom is stupid about Zelda is that he fails to recognize that the Zelda series has significant zeniths and nadirs over time, in terms of sales, but is trending roughly the same now as it's been trending for the past twenty-three years. Maybe better.

Twilight Princess was also a launch title for the Wii. All launch titles get a boost in sales. Also, none of the games have out preformed Orcarina, meaning something is wrong.

Mario Galaxy didn't outperform Mario 64 either, I don't think we can take that as a clear sign of "something's wrong".  Twilight Princess came within 500k of Ocarina of Time, that's a great pick up for the series after it's actual decline with Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker...

jarrod said:
Smashchu2 said:

Mario Galaxy didn't outperform Mario 64 either, I don't think we can take that as a clear sign of "something's wrong".  Twilight Princess came within 500k of Ocarina of Time, that's a great pick up for the series after it's actual decline with Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker...

Telling you guys - zeniths and nadirs. Adventures of Link, Majora's Mask, and maybe Spirit Tracks are nadirs - the original, Ocarina, and Twilight Princess are all zeniths. Over time, the sales of the series have been extremely consistent. The big problem with the series is that it hasn't seen any growth for its zeniths.

Metallicube said:

While I think Malstrom is over exaggerating the decline of Zelda, I do think it would serve the series well to go back to roots. That is, open-ended, somewhat non linear exploration and fast paced, arcade style combat, especially with the implications of Motion plus.

This would be so good for a lot of RPGs! And also for those not using WM+, or not on Wii at all. Using the budget more for gameplay and to draw vast interesting and open worlds more than on fancy graphics, that's what can make a game a classic. Epic graphics will be average a few years after, but an epic world with flawless gameplay lasts forever. Anyhow it should be added that these roots aren't the most primitive of videogames, but, so to say, those of their Middle Age, when game saving was already available, vast open worlds were impossible to do before. Previously you could have excellent gameplay, but the ability to save allowed to have worlds vaster than what you could explore during a single gaming session.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!