By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Just imagine how it must feel for the PS3 launch buyer.

First, they shelled out $500 to $600 for an amusement machine… that had no games. And what purpose is there to buy the PS3 at launch? Resistance? Hah. Heavely Sword? LOL. Was it so the Sony fan could experience the glory that is Lair?

Within a few years, the PS3 early adopter had to painfully watch the price absolutely collapse by 50%. For each year they would have waited, they could have saved $100. If they waited only a few years, they could have gotten the Slim model.

But there was one good moment for the PS3 Early Adopter where it came that the PS2 playback feature was removed in future PS3 models putting a premium on the launch units. But what does that matter when these early PS3 units are constantly breaking down?

Now comes the Epic Fail:

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009.

Oh no! Someone might run unauthorized code on an obsolete model that has been out of retail for quite a while. The horrors!

Why does something like removing Linux from PS3 bother people? After all, what does this have to do with gaming? Gamers tend to be pack rats and see their games and consoles as things eternal. This is why game consoles breaking down easily is a big problem to them. And the idea that features are being removed is ridiculous.

In a way, this is stabbing the game collector in that a hardware product, already in its grave, still is being manipulated by the company years after. Imagine if Sony made it so PS2 backwards compatibility was disabled forcing people to buy the PS2 games off of PSN. Or imagine if Sony decided to ‘patch’ the PS3 to remove other features once the PS4 rolls around so you cannot use your PS3.

It used to be believed that once a hardware product was in your hands, that is what it was. You do not expect the features of the hardware product to be removed or to change. But now, this graveyard hardware is beginning to be ‘patched’ for the worse.

Why on Earth would anyone want to collect Sony consoles now?

I would feel sorry for the PS3 early adopters paying over half a grand for a video game console if they didn’t have earlier warning they were being played…

What!? Do you want more Epic Fail, reader? Here you go. Just go TO THIS LINK and you will find Epic Fail stacked on top of this Epic Fail.

Today is the first time I have seen this. How surreal! I have gotten email from third party developers concerning Birdman before, but I have never seen it in a presentation like that.

Makes me wish I would lose my snarky tone on this blog and be more serious. If you’re wondering, I think the snarkiness keeps rising because of my constant frustration at no one reporting on what Nintendo is doing. I mean, this was excusable back in 2006 and 2007 when Nintendo was still thought of as the Gamecube. But now, it is absurd that there seems to be no reporting on Nintendo. I always thought that after doing the initial articles that I would just sit back and read other people digging into Nintendo’s strategy. I thought it was a given since people would want to know how Nintendo was successful. Instead, I have been seeing the opposite. The reporting is almost completely the opposite of what is going on. For example, in 2009 the bad reporting was about how Nintendo, for no apparent reason, was on the verge of releasing a high definition Wii (all based on what one lone analyst believed). The other bad reporting in 2009 was the failure to report about Nintendo’s User Generated Content move (resulting in the Wii decline of 2009).

As time goes on, the bad reporting keeps continuing. It has come to the point that no one can keep ignoring what is going on unless it was intentional. And if people are intentionally fudging the facts, they deserve all the mockery in the world.

I forget that there are people out there who are serious about this (such as third party developers who have millions of dollars riding on a Wii game). Being snarky about the junk on the Internet isn’t helping these guys out.

I’ll put some thoughts together on what many Expanded Market type users are expecting in a game. The greatest myth is that the Expanded Market doesn’t care about quality, they will just buy any ‘casual’ game. They very much are sensitive about quality. It is just a different type of quality.

Most games on the Xbox 360 and PS3 define quality on the same way the PC games define quality. But the Expanded Market define quality as more arcade quality. This is why a game like Wii Sports can be seen as ‘horrible’ from a PC game value lens (“It has no story.” “No characters.” “Too simple.” “Ugh, I have to stand up and move around to play? Yuck!”) and why a game like Bioshock is seen as ‘horrible’ from the arcade value lens (“Why is there so much story?” “Why am I wandering around in dark environments all the time?”).

Arcade games are very easy to pick up, very exciting to play, game play tends to be in short bursts, often have unique interfaces, often are played with other people, are fun to watch other people play, very addictive, and very difficult. The Wii’s biggest games all share those values from Wii Sports to Wii Fit to Mario Kart Wii to Mario 5 to Wii Play. Most of the third party Wii software tend to follow those arcade game values.

I am noticing that Nintendo seems to be struggling with this as well, believe it or not. Mario 5 totally overshot their expectations. They knew the game would be big. But I think they had to have been surprised at how much hardware that one game moved. Nintendo ran out of their Wii stockpile! Clearly, the game scratched an itch people were not noticing.

Zelda is another example of this. As a series, Zelda is becoming more irrelevant and more gimmicky with each iteration. Gamers are now beginning to say, “Who cares?” But the very first Legend of Zelda was marketed and designed as a Arcade/RPG hybrid which explains why Zelda II went the direction it did and why Link to the Past became what it was. I am getting the sense that Nintendo realizes something is off on Zelda and are looking at the earlier ones to figure out what. Should Zelda return to addictive arcade-like roots, I expect that Zelda game to ‘be huge’ in the market. Not Mario 5 huge but still huge.

Video game consoles used to be defined as arcade machines for the home. Today, video game consoles are now defined as PC games in the living room. This isn’t bad in itself. But it does reveal that game companies left behind the arcade gamers. It is why 3d Mario doesn’t sell like 2d Mario. Why Zelda games cannot match the social phenomenons the 8-bit/16-bit and Ocarina games did. It also explains to me why a game like Wii Sports erupted.

I’ll put together some thoughts on some small things third party developers can do that would go a HUGE way to making their games more successful.

Around the Network

Malstrom is still stupid about Zelda.

"Malstrom is still stupid about Zelda."

How? The sales are still declining and the series is still not a system seller since Ocarina, especially in Japan.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"Malstrom is still stupid about Zelda."

How? The sales are still declining and the series is still not a system seller since Ocarina, especially in Japan.

You can make an argument that sales are declining on the DS, though that's somewhat premature, but the actual sales of the series are not declining at all - Twilight Princess is the second-best selling entry in the franchise, Phantom Hourglass outsold the originnal iteration of Link's Awakening and Link to the Past, on and on and on.

The reason that Malstrom is stupid about Zelda is that he fails to recognize that the Zelda series has significant zeniths and nadirs over time, in terms of sales, but is trending roughly the same now as it's been trending for the past twenty-three years. Maybe better.

His point, although he doesn't state it clearly, is that they aren't system sellers anymore, even with their sales. That isn't stupid to point out a series isn't doing something when it isn't.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
His point, although he doesn't state it clearly, is that they aren't system sellers anymore, even with their sales. That isn't stupid to point out a series isn't doing something when it isn't.

There's not really any basis to assume that Zelda was ever a particularly strong system seller. I'll quote him here:

As a series, Zelda is becoming more irrelevant and more gimmicky with each iteration. Gamers are now beginning to say, “Who cares?”
You will take note that he refers to gamers in particular, rather than the mainstram or non-gamers: he is referring to people for whom Zelda already appeals to a certain value set. His hold that "irrelevance" and "gimmick"ness are defining characterizations of the Zelda franchise in the mind of core gamers is ridiculous, fallacious, and refuted constantly by the numbers. To further prove my point,
Why Zelda games cannot match the social phenomenons the 8-bit/16-bit and Ocarina games did.
cannot be taken to refer solely to the ability to move hardware, it's also referring to the way communities react to the games. It can be argued that Zelda games don't shatter the world like they used to - but even that's fallacious, because Zelda games were never subjects of univrsal praise among gamers or even universal playing to completion. As a social phenomenon taken in the most literal sense - games that people buy and play - Zelda games are as strong now as they ever were, and no pointing back to rap commercials from 1987 and waving of Malstrom's arms is going to change that.

Have they somewhat abandoned arcade roots in the console games? Sure. Not so much in the handheld space, but I'll grant it in the console space. But that doesn't make Zelda less relevant, it just means that its focus is different than it ocne was - and this was not a hange that came after Ocarina of Time, which is what Maelstrom is implying.

"because Zelda games were never subjects of univrsal praise among gamers or even universal playing to completion"

That isn't what a social phenomenon is. It's about being in the mainstream consciousness. The series is not there right now. Mario is, which is why both NSMB games and the recent Mario Kart games are such smash hits.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"because Zelda games were never subjects of univrsal praise among gamers or even universal playing to completion"

That isn't what a social phenomenon is. It's about being in the mainstream consciousness. The series is not there right now. Mario is, which is why both NSMB games and the recent Mario Kart games are such smash hits.

As a social phenomenon taken in the most literal sense - games that people buy and play - Zelda games are as strong now as they ever were, and no pointing back to rap commercials from 1987 and waving of Malstrom's arms is going to change that.

"As a social phenomenon taken in the most literal sense - games that people buy and play"

That is not a literal sense, since that isn't what the word "social" means. It's about mindshare and brand awareness. You clearly don't know what he's getting at here.

LordTheNightKnight said:
"As a social phenomenon taken in the most literal sense - games that people buy and play"

That is not a literal sense, since that isn't what the word "social" means. It's about mindshare and brand awareness. You clearly don't know what he's getting at here.

In that case I'll back off on that front, since there hasn't been a huge explosion in mindshare for Zelda since 2004, but in fairness that may have more to do with the way people approach the handheld games than anything else.