By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

This guy is just an average fanboy with an above average IQ.

Around the Network

Hey why did his latest blog posts dissapear?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
Hey why did his latest blog posts dissapear?

clear your cache

Loved the 3DS announcement. viral marketers scrambling to protect the massive push towards getting everyone to buy new 3DTV’s with dorky glasses from a cheap handheld doing the same thing without the glasses, at once undercutting the price massively and making the glasses-required 3D look outdated.

Over the span of a few hours the message went from “it’s not really 3D” to “you’ll have to cross your eyes like Magic Eye” to “it’ll just use the camera to trick you into thinking it’s 3D” to “this will just make 3DTV more accepted more quickly” then finally to random outright fabricated stuff like “the graphics won’t even be any better” and my personal favorite, “the cart sizes will be too small”.

Personally my initial reaction was more “sounds pretty cool….what else is there to it?” and immediately thought about what kind of new gameplay integration/interface they’d be putting in. Your comparison to the initial DS reveal strategy seems pretty spot on, imo – we’ll see Sony show off PSP2 with 3D and multi-touch or something and then a few hours later Nintendo will show off something crazy (someone dug up a weird patent on a force-feedback stylus that would vibrate at the edges of the 3d projected object much like the Wii remote does when pointing at a button, could have potential I guess).

Anyway I figured you’d be getting the same kind of amusement watching the industry grunts running around like crazy just because Nintendo posted a three paragraph PDF to their website!

It amazes me how many people cannot see what is going on. It is clear to me, it is clear to you, but other people just cannot see it. We know the viral marketers see it for what it is (as well as Sony).

Since the Wii, there have been many myths made about Nintendo. Most people don’t even bother looking at the business side of the company but just wrap it up into a little phrase. For example, one constant refrain is “Nintendo loves making money.” And what company doesn’t? All those Scrooge McDuck jokes only ended up puffing up the myth. Nintendo has billions of dollars in a warchest. They aren’t hurting financially.

So when something happens where the DS successor is announced prior to the DS XL even launching, people become perplexed. Why would Nintendo sabotage their money making potential? It is perplexing only because people believe Nintendo is guided only by money making potential. If Nintendo has a choice of further destroying a competitor at the cost of harming a new handheld hardware iteration, Nintendo will do the former. It is in the long term interest to do so.

Much of the ‘Industry’ cheering the 3DS only does so because they think Nintendo is jumping onto the ‘3d movement’ bandwagon. These people are going to be disappointed. I expect Nintendo to use the 3DS to target the low end. All these ‘3d movement’ bandwagon people are obsessed about the high end. In other words, the 3DS is not going to be about Gamecube type games. It is going to be more low end stuff as has occurred with the DS and Wii.

It is fun to watch Sony making gaffes and analysts being confused. It reminds me of prior to the Wii and DS being launched. Good times…

And this places him as a perfect disruptor. The entire disruption literature is based on that what is taught in business schools is wrong, that many executives make rational choices taught in schools that end up only destroying their business.

This story is from a year ago. But it is very revealing.

He seems more relaxed than any CEO I’ve met, but then he has good reason to. When he took over the reins at Nintendo in 2002, the company reported 65.7bn yen (then £350 million) in profit, a disappointing figure blamed on poor console sales and a feeling that the video game “fad” had run its course. By this year, that figure had risen almost tenfold, to 555bn yen (£3.7bn at today’s rates). Not bad for a man with no formal business training.

“I was originally an engineer,” he tells me, “and I joined a small company called HAL after university… In 1992, HAL was facing a financial crisis, and I was appointed president in order to help reconstruct it. At that time I was completely unable to read financial statements. I was a game developer. So I was forced to study the financial aspects of running a company.”

Having turned HAL around, with the help of Nintendo, Iwata felt honour-bound to repay Yamauchi when the latter offered him the chance to become Nintendo’s youngest board member in 2000.

“Of course, I never imagined that I would become president,” he recalls with another of his smiles.

There are many great quotes in this story. Such as this:

“However, when we started to announce our basic strategy, a lot of people questioned it. ‘Games are for kids and young men. Not for women or senior citizens.’ If you accept that mindset, you will never see customers outside that customer base. So I said let’s do it without that mindset.

This is why I raise hell when people begin referring to the Expanded Audience as ‘casuals’. When you say that, you are already adopting a mindset that these ‘casuals’ are retarded gamers. And this will cause a game developer to make substandard games. And then they wonder why their games won’t sell.

Gamers demand premium content. So do non-gamers. Just because someone isn’t a veteran gamer doesn’t mean their standards of quality is any lower.

When asked about the motion control announcements at E3 2009, Iwata responded with:

“To tell the truth,” Iwata says, “I expected them to come up with stuff like this last year. So in my mind they’re later than expected.”

He pauses, then opens his arms outstretched, with a huge grin on his face.

“I’d like to say to them, ‘Welcome to the motion-control world!’

Later than expected! This is what I thought as well. I thought E3 2008 was when they would come out with their controls. It also shows that Motion Plus was truly a pre-emptive response to any motion controls Sony and Microsoft would show off.

Check out this story from gameindustry.biz. For some reason, the reporter decides to put in his interpretation and gets it all wrong.

Despite the dissatisfaction voiced by both of Nintendo’s most prominent executives the volume of new titles has not obviously increased in 2010, with the first major first party AAA title – in the form of Super Mario Galaxy 2 – not due until May in North America and June in Europe.

Here are the Iwata and Miyamoto quotes:

Speaking to financial website The Economist, apparently before the announcements of the 3DS, Miyamoto was asked how he interpreted the general slowdown in sales for videogames in 2009.

He suggested that “any entertainment products are less susceptible to changes in the economy”, but admitted that Nintendo had not produced enough fun products during 2009.

This admission echoes comments made by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata last October, when he stated that “we were unable to continually release strong software” during 2009.

Iwata and Miyamoto were not referring to volume of software. Volume of software doesn’t matter if the quality isn’t good, if people do not find it fun. Games like Wii Music were not fun which is why Nintendo discontinued the title.

Nintendo had adopted a strategy shift toward ‘User Generated Content’ in 2008 which led to not-fun software released in 2008 that led to 2009’s decline. If strong software was released, there would not have been a 2009 decline. This is what Miyamoto was saying.

When Mario 5 came out, Wii sales rocketed up. So clearly the decline was due to some bad software, not due to other events.

It amazes me that business websites and analysts are all not mentioning the User Generated Content direction Nintendo took. How could they have missed it? It was spoken as a holy grail by the executives and at the investor question and answer sessions.

What has amazed me concerning the business of video games is that no one seems interested in reporting what Nintendo does. What happens instead is that they report what they think Nintendo does. So when the Wii launched, instead of getting stories about disruption or Blue Ocean Strategy (well, we only got a few there), we got a bunch of garbage about ‘casual gamez LOL’ and discussion that Wii sold only because it was cheaper than the HD Twins. Instead of reported that Nintendo was, indeed, going on their User Generated Content adventure which led to software that consumers didn’t like which lead to hardware decline in sales, we get garbage about ‘casual bubble bursting’.

There is no business reporting concerning Nintendo. All we get is cliches and nonsense on stilts.

I suppose with 3DS, instead of getting the story of Nintendo disrupting Sony’s attempts of going 3d, we will get stories instead of Nintendo copying Sony and Nintendo jumping on the bandwagon of 3d.

Nintendo’s business should not have to be a secret known to everyone!

"Gaming was so much more fun and magical before the existence of the ‘Industry’. Come to think of it, gaming really began to go on a downhill slide after the 16-bit generation when Sony entered the stage. And the more Sony is in decline, the more and more fun games are becoming again."

Ohhh no he di'int! Man the Sony fans are gonna be calling for his head after Malstrom's latest few entries.

I don't agree with him fully on that statement, and I think Sony actually makes some great games, but I guess after being on this site (and previously frequenting gamepro.com) where everybody seems to be collevtively kissing Sony's ass day in and day out, it's refreshing to hear someone bring them down a peg for once.

Around the Network

So Malstrom thinks the same about the 3DS - that Nintendo is going to go after Sony's market with this one. He also said Nintendo would use 3D as a chance for lower-tier customers to get into gaming. And I think so too. (I even made a thread about that, which nobody read hehe )
It's interesting that he said they'll go after Sony's PS3 market. It seems rather obvious but so far all we know is that the thing can do 3D so I don't want to speculate on that one yet (although the first thing that comes to mind when you think of 3D is the Playstation 3 at this point).

This could be really interesting. Was Nintendo ever that agressive? I'm really looking forward to E3 now to see what they have up their sleeves. And when will Koller get it?

Are Nintendo moves since last Autumn cut aggressive or defensive?

But let's read again what Malstrom wrote about price cuts before Nintendo itself did one:

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/18/red-ocean-got-more-interesting/

Red Ocean got more interesting

PS3 Slim has been announced for $299. A price cut along with a new model will definately boost sales, at least in a short term perspective. Microsoft will obviously respond.

The two old dinosaurs are going at each others’ throats. PS3 is now $299. Xbox 360 is, what, $199 to $299 with the new price cut?

And Wii is still at launch price of $250.

Remember when I said, long ago, how that the Wii would eventually be higher priced than the PS3? Crazy fanboy talk, right? Well, we are almost there. Almost. If Wii can keep selling decently at $250, it shows how these Dinosaurs are price cutting themselves to oblivion.

You don’t really see innovative and ‘expansion’ orientated software coming from companies like Sony outside of technological toys like the Eye Toy. And by that, I mean appealing outside the Core. Sony’s way to appeal outside the core is Blu-Ray movie player which has nothing to do with gaming.

Contrast that with Nintendo putting their emphasis on expanding the software to spur up the interest. Nintendo is literally in a war against disinterest and they see price cuts as a surrendering their console to a drop in value.

Sony isn’t attacking disinterest. The price cut and new model will be greeted enthusiastically, but it is because the value of the system is getting closer to meeting the price.

In three years, the PS3 has had a price reduction of 50%. That’s insane. If Sony continues this rate of price cutting, the PS3 will be priced $99 by 2011.

Here’s the pickle.

What if the price cut and new model doesn’t work? It will boost sales temporarily of course, but I am sure Sony is counting on a more longterm success. If sales don’t boost longterm, what else can Sony do? Price cut yet again?

Last generation, there was a console that got heavily price reduced in an effort to boost sales. And sales were boosted temporarily. The Gamecube, despite its big price drop, never truly recovered. And analysts wonder why Iwata is adament against price cuts.

This move by Sony will eat into Xbox 360’s sales. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are linked, where one console grows the other shrinks. Neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 have anything to offer to entice those people buying Wii systems for Wii Fit or Wii Sports. This shows how powerful the Blue Ocean Strategy is in terms of its long term strategy and its profitability.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/no-wii-price-drop-enrages-the-hardcore/

No Wii Price Drop Enrages the Hardcore

You know you are doing good when the hardcore start throwing fits. Quotes from Iwata’s latest discussion with investors has been making the rounds. Since this discussion has not yet been translated to English, I’m not going to comment on that. I don’t trust game journalists at all to understand the business side of Nintendo. I bet there are more interesting stories in there that they are completely missing. The quotes they are pulling out are the things they can only see with their hardcore tunnel vision (like prices cuts).

So why does the Wii not dropping in price enrage the hardcore? Look at the comments or forum threads where Iwata’s comments are at. What Iwata is saying isn’t new. He has said it many times before. Price drops are also a ‘no-no’ in the Blue Ocean Strategy. Price drops are a ‘Red Ocean’ tactic.

We all know the hardcore don’t like the Wii anyway and that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are ‘better’. How do we know this? On any story Wii related, the hardcore feel free to volunteer us information on how ‘dusty’ their Wii is and how ‘it sucks’.

If the hardcore don’t like the Wii, why are they angry that it isn’t getting a price drop? Are the hardcore worried that our precious analysts might, once again, be embarrassed that Nintendo doesn’t do what they predict? No, that can’t be it.

The hardcore are enraged not because of the price of the Wii, but its value in the marketplace. The outrage is over value.

Back in 2006, when PS3 and Wii launched, the Wii sold out and stayed sold out for a couple years. The PS3 and Xbox 360 did not move the number of systems as the Wii or had anything resembling the ‘Wii craze’ as they did.

The hardcore told us why. “It is because of the price! Once Xbox 360 and PS3 come down in price, it is the end of Wii!!!”

PS3 and Xbox 360 have come down in price. But their momentum remains stagnant. Someone might say, “But the Wii sales have CRASHED because they are selling much less Wii systems now!” Crash is the wrong word (but that isn’t stopping certain “journalists” from using it). Anyone who thinks Wii is the console this generation with the ‘problem’ and the HD Twins have ‘no problems’, you simply don’t know what is going on.

The hardcore probably actually believed that Wii sold because of its lower price, and they probably believed that Xbox 360 and PS3 were a higher value simply because they cost more. You have to believe they held high value in order to shell out $400-$600 at launch.

Xbox 360 is already cheaper than the Wii. It is not improbable to imagine that the PlayStation 3 will, eventually, become cheaper than the Wii. If that day comes, oh man, the hardcore are going to blow a gasket.

The hardcore are already convinced that the Wii holds no value and the fact that Iwata refuses to lower the price enrages them. The HD Twins are doing their price cuts, why won’t the Wii?

Let me give you examples of their anger.

From Kotaku:

It’s such a rip off though! You get a weak console with a very, very limited game library and piss poor online for up to £80-90 more than a 360 arcade, which has a great game library and good online.

inb4xbot

I don’t even own a 360, I have a PS3 so shush.

____

With the 360 being $200, I find very little reason to buy a Wii for $50 more unless you just have to have Nintendo’s 1st party games. In terms of what you get for the money, the 360 has the Wii beat hands down.

And the fact that it costs $80 for a complete controller. My 360 controller costs $50, nevermind the fact that it’s constantly on sale on Amazon (right now for $32 for a black one).

@YourFreakingMom-Yeah that’s right: Why NOT have a price cut? I mean the system is cool and all but come on,it IS just a motion controlled gamecube.They have sold millions of those damn Wii’s.It can’t/won’t be 249$ forever.
I for one would love a price cut.Just as my other comment says, i wouldn’t mind having a Wii.No way im paying 249$ for it though.Only way i would pay that much is if all of a sudden there were actually a decent amount of games for the damn thing.
My 599$ for a PS3=Justified
My 299$ for a 360=Justified
Paying 249$ for a Wii=Why?!?!?
Just my opinion ;)

Here are some comments from VG247, a site I have never heard of, who describes the Wii sales as ‘crashing’:

How about ‘Crap Wii in wake up call’ – maybe finally the fad that is Wii is over.

“Right now,” Iwata said, “there aren’t a lot of discussions going on about what exactly to do about hardware pricing.”

Perhaps thats a discussion that might be worth having?

Let’s look at a NeoGAF thread:

Nintendo and the Malstrom disciples have claimed that a price cut isn’t necessary, that price cuts won’t drive sales. So is it just some coincidence that the ONLY console that had a price cut in the last year is also the ONLY console that is improving year-over-year sales?

You can blame the software, but the 360’s YOY improvements come without much help in the software department as well. COD:WaW is not the success that COD4 was…..2008 had GTA4 while this year has no title that can rival GTA for moving hardware.

I wish I could become a ‘hardcore’ so I would get to live in fairy-tale land.

Meanwhile, some people expressed surprise that Wii Music and Animal Crossing Wii sales, which are around three to two million, was considered ‘bad’ by Nintendo. This shouldn’t be much of a surprise. The purpose of first party titles is to sell the hardware. Who is honestly going to buy a Wii specifically for Wii Music? Or Animal Crossing Wii for that matter? There is a correlation of Wii sales declining not soon after they were released. In terms of keeping up the momentum, those games didn’t do the job.

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/reggie-points-out-that-the-hd-twins-are-in-longterm-trouble/
(note: beginning of 3rd article quoted)

Reggie points out that the HD Twins are in longterm trouble

In an article in the lowest rated American TV network, MSNBC has a few interesting quotes from Reggie talking the decline that Sony and Microsoft face.

“The fact remains that we represent about 52 percent of all current-generation home console sales so far this year, and about 44 percent of all current-generation software sold this year, and that’s a total of 29 million units of software,” he says.

“Essentially Nintendo revenues are effectively flat year-on-year, down minus 2 percent,” Fils-Aime says. “Comparatively, the balance of the industry — so our competitors combined — is down minus 23 percent. So clearly our competitors are the ones under pressure to change their tactics through the balance of the year.”

After all, it is Sony and Microsoft who are showing off motion controls. Nintendo is not showing off HD anything. It clear to see who is following who.

You would think by how the news stories are written these days that Nintendo is in big danger and might even leave the console market. One could excuse Nintendo being declared “doomed” during the Gamecube Era due to poor sales of that system. But with Nintendo “doomed” every month of every year, even being the market leader, I don’t see how anyone can deny there is bias going on. It would be like, last generation, declaring how Sony is about to go out of business because of the PS2.

It is clear these these analysts are not acting like analysts. I used to think either analysts were stupid, or they were so desperate to advertise their group so they would manufacture the juiciest and most controversial quotes as possible so they would keep being invited back. But I now suspect some of them are moonlighting.

Why would anyone keep saying that Wii HD was right around the corner? What better way for FUD than for an analyst to perform it? Consumers will think, “Oh no, a Wii HD right around the corner? I better wait.” I’m not saying Pachter is moonlighting, but this is why you do not just quote anything analysts say and throw them in a story. I have no doubt that interested parties will try to pressure these “analysts” to predict something or try to persuade them to say stuff that goes their way.

Unfortunately for any payers, no one reads MSNBC.

If Nintendo ever did cut the price of the Wii, it would be after the holidays. Why cut the price right before the holiday season, the busiest sales season of the year? That sounds like something dopey that Sony would do.

Some say, “But if they don’t cut the price, they will miss their sales forecasts! That will put them in trouble with their shareholders!” And who are their shareholders? The largest plurality is owned by Mr. Yamauchi who Iwata answers to anyway. 57% of the shareholders are Japanese.

Japanese do business in a much more long term way than in America. Iwata believes lowering the price would harm the Wii longterm. And that is all there is to it.

The article says that lowering price points is good for consumers. I disagree. If I bought a PS3 at $599, not only do I have to see all these new SKUs coming out with larger harddrives, but the PS3’s price has dropped %50 in less than three years. Was there anything so AMAZING that couldn’t have waited in those three years? No. As a consumer, I’d feel ripped off.

Journalists and analysts are acting like they are at a horserace.

Monthly sales charts are nothing more than a ’snapshot’ of the market. Does the Xbox 360 or PS3 outsell the Wii on any particular week? Of course it does. If there were weekly sales charts, weekly snapshots, people would be responding to those. Does the HD Twins outsell the Wii on any particular day? Of course they do. But that is a more rapid snapshot.

Examining snapshots isn’t telling you the nature of the ‘race’.

If you go the opposite direction and look at THE BIG PICTURE, a very different image appears. In it, we find that the Wii has only one sku, has never had a price drop, and is still selling quite well. (I believe the drop in Wii sales has more to do with Nintendo adopting the ‘anti-content’ mantra of ‘user-generated content’.) The PS3 has gone from $600 to $300. Xbox 360 has gone from $400 to $200. Despite their price drops (well, we will see how the PS3 performed next month), there has been no real uptick in momentum to the HD Twins.

It is Nintendo’s belief that the Core Market is shrinking and has the destiny to die. So in Nintendo’s perspective, they have to fight disinterest in the Wii and gaming in general while they let the HD Twins sink beneath the ocean.

Price drops are not a move of sales strength. They are a move of sales weakness.

What I find most interesting is the degree of ‘intense’ anger and bitterness coming from our friends, the hardcore, and, in general, the “Game Industry”. Why do they care if the Wii hasn’t had a price drop yet? They say it will hurt the Wii longterm. But if they do not like the Wii, isn’t this what they want?

I find it amazing that the hardcore are suddenly concerned about Wii sales and that Wii ‘must have a price drop’. Their anger must come that they see their godly HD console being almost the same price of that ‘piece of trash’ and ‘garbage technology’ console called Wii. And Wii, except for a few months, will still sell top of the chart.

When the Xbox 360 and PS3 price cuts occur again and bring the HD Twins LOWER than the Wii’s price, then we’re going to see some fireworks from the ‘hardcore’.

People say “We must listen to analysts, no matter how absurd they sound, because they deal with numbers.” That is why they have staffs that do much of that so little analyst can go talk to the press or surf message forums all day.

Sequel to a game that soundly outsold the best selling Grand Theft Auto game (San Andreas).

If analysts were so into their numbers, how come they were so excited about Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas sold around 17 million) or Modern War 2 (Modern War sold around 10 million) when they aren’t talking about NSMB Wii at all? NSMB DS has sold 20 million. Its sequel should get the equivalent of “OMG Grand Theft Auto 4!” type excitement from analysts and all. The ‘remake’ of Wii Fit, and Wii Fit has sold more than 20 million copies, is also not being mentioned.

I think it is telling how analysts are completely missing these releases. Not commenting on them at all is not due to stupidity (no one is this stupid). It is deliberate. The reason why it is deliberate is the question.

It is not that analysts do not *get* Nintendo. They deliberately are not ‘getting’ Nintendo. The question is “Why?”

Edit: sorry about the third article, it refuses to be quoted like the others
...And countless others you'll find searching for "price cut" in his site and browsing through them back to before Wii cut was announced.
Now that cut, clearly defensive, that here http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/wii-has-a-value-drop/ he defined "value drop", is propagandized by Mr.M as just another mighty weapon to destroy Sony. And it's no longer dumb, surprise surprise!
The cruel reality, though, is that that cut took Wii back to the top even before Mario, but despite this, it didn't affect PS3 sales.
Maybe the disruption has gone so far that now Wii and PS3 markets are totally split up from each other, but this could prevent disruption to continue against Sony, as it wouldn' t be anymore Nintendo climbing upmarket, but sidestepping into a different one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

@ Alby (the things you wrote, not the quotes): But that's not how disrupting a market works. Nintendo and Sony are still in the very same market it's just that Nintendo caters to low demanding consumers and Sony caters to high demanding consumers. Just because you aim your product at consumers with different values doesn't mean you're in a new market! Ferrari and Toyota are also in the same market, even though Ferrari clearly caters to higher demanding consumers who are willing to pay premium prices.

What strikes me as odd is that everyone here (including Malstrom?) seems to think "moving upmarket" means using the very same product and let it do different things. No, it doesn't! Moving upmarket is caused by using new technology to support the new values you brought to the market. It does not mean keeping the same technology forever. What's way more important than the disruptive product is the values behind it! Two companies can use the same technology but put it into a new context of use.

Somehow everybody assumes Nintendo will just "move upmarket" with the Wii. But they can't do that so easily. You can't just pump out two Zelda games and a Metroid and then they've "moved upmarket". Moving upmarket does not mean returning to the old values used by your competitor. You have to convert people to your new values. And that often happens by improving your technology or let your products be enhanced by using new technology and use it in the context of use you've envisioned for it.

Context of use is very important here. When Christensen talks about these wars ending abruptly people go "yeah, when Nintendo releases XY game they do that because they're moving upmarket." But this is just the software. When Nintendo releases a new console that will be the moment for them to move upmarket. And if it works the console war will suddenly end. Not because all those "hardcore gamers" are buying the Wii now but because those people see the next Nintendo console and say: "I always thought this new kind of gaming was only for casual gamers! But it isn't, it is also for me!" And Sony can't stop that by adding motion controls. They have to adapt to the value change

Christensen also says incumbents don't notice the disruption until it is too late. Sony doesn't notice it at all. Most of the people on these forums don't notice it, either. Alby, your post is the prove here. You say "yeah but it doesn't affect Sony at all!" Exactly, it doesn't affect them yet. But if Nintendo releases a new console that is also aimed at converting the "hardcore" gamers people will notice. Funny enough it would be too late by then because they couldn't see it coming as Playstation sales didn't suffer up to a certain point.

I think Malstrom is actually doing a mistake, too. He's looking at a single console cycle and somehow acting like the whole thing would take place in just a single cycle. When the PS3 sold way worse than the PS2 Malstrom said "See? They say the market is fine. This is exactly what Christensen said, they don't see they are in trouble!" But they did see the bad sales, it's just that no company goes out and says "yay, we're screwed! Stop buying our products!" And now he acts like PS3 sales didn't increase, even though they increased dramatically. Back in 2007-2008 the gaming press also did see the bad sales, why else did they publish so many "Nintendo is doomed!" articles. But right now, they see the numbers, they see the Wii is not outselling the competition by that much anymore and they see the PS3 and Xbox360 are selling better than ever and they go: "This time the Wii is really doomed!" And this time they really think they're right - two years ago it was just wishful thinking.

My point is: I think Malstrom was two years too early. Now is the time people really don't see it happening. They won't see it until all of a sudden Nintendo releases the 3DS and people are like "Hey wait. There's something wrong here..." They were so scared Nintendo would "move upmarket" with the Wii and now they feel so reliefed because Nintendo hasn't. And when the 3DS releases eeryone will go "Woah! Where did that one come from?"

I really hope Nintendo is going for that direction. And I really hope Sony will realize it early. That would be the best business fight ever.

.And countless others you'll find searching for "price cut" in his site and browsing through them back to before Wii cut was announced.
Now that cut, clearly defensive, that here http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/wii-has-a-value-drop/ he defined "value drop", is propagandized by Mr.M as just another mighty weapon to destroy Sony. And it's no longer dumb, surprise surprise!
The cruel reality, though, is that that cut took Wii back to the top even before Mario, but despite this, it didn't affect PS3 sales.
Maybe the disruption has gone so far that now Wii and PS3 markets are totally split up from each other, but this could prevent disruption to continue against Sony, as it wouldn' t be anymore Nintendo climbing upmarket, but sidestepping into a different one.

Sorry Alby, but you forget a few facts, first off Malstrom is still on the outside looking in, so as information changes, so does the understanding of events, seeing the 3DS does reveal a new aspect to Nintendo's plans and casts new light on Nintendo's moves of the past few years.

Also once again, disruptions take years, even decades, so saying that Sony has halted the disruption is stupid, because its still going on, the Move and 3DS are the next phases in the disruption. So saying that the PS3 sales haven't been affected, is shortsighted of you, although considering what you've stated in the past its not unexpected from you, you do seem to be a shortsighted person, who doesn't really understand business and market forces.

This disruption will probably run its course over the next decade or so, so one or two more cycles

UncleScrooge said:

@ Alby (the things you wrote, not the quotes): But that's not how disrupting a market works. Nintendo and Sony are still in the very same market it's just that Nintendo caters to low demanding consumers and Sony caters to high demanding consumers. Just because you aim your product at consumers with different values doesn't mean you're in a new market! Ferrari and Toyota are also in the same market, even though Ferrari clearly caters to higher demanding consumers who are willing to pay premium prices.

1. What strikes me as odd is that everyone here (including Malstrom?) seems to think "moving upmarket" means using the very same product and let it do different things. No, it doesn't! Moving upmarket is caused by using new technology to support the new values you brought to the market. It does not mean keeping the same technology forever. What's way more important than the disruptive product is the values behind it! Two companies can use the same technology but put it into a new context of use.

2. Somehow everybody assumes Nintendo will just "move upmarket" with the Wii. But they can't do that so easily. You can't just pump out two Zelda games and a Metroid and then they've "moved upmarket". Moving upmarket does not mean returning to the old values used by your competitor. You have to convert people to your new values. And that often happens by improving your technology or let your products be enhanced by using new technology and use it in the context of use you've envisioned for it.

3. Context of use is very important here. When Christensen talks about these wars ending abruptly people go "yeah, when Nintendo releases XY game they do that because they're moving upmarket." But this is just the software. When Nintendo releases a new console that will be the moment for them to move upmarket. And if it works the console war will suddenly end. Not because all those "hardcore gamers" are buying the Wii now but because those people see the next Nintendo console and say: "I always thought this new kind of gaming was only for casual gamers! But it isn't, it is also for me!" And Sony can't stop that by adding motion controls. They have to adapt to the value change

4. Christensen also says incumbents don't notice the disruption until it is too late. Sony doesn't notice it at all. Most of the people on these forums don't notice it, either. Alby, your post is the prove here. You say "yeah but it doesn't affect Sony at all!" Exactly, it doesn't affect them yet. But if Nintendo releases a new console that is also aimed at converting the "hardcore" gamers people will notice. Funny enough it would be too late by then because they couldn't see it coming as Playstation sales didn't suffer up to a certain point.

5. I think Malstrom is actually doing a mistake, too. He's looking at a single console cycle and somehow acting like the whole thing would take place in just a single cycle. When the PS3 sold way worse than the PS2 Malstrom said "See? They say the market is fine. This is exactly what Christensen said, they don't see they are in trouble!" But they did see the bad sales, it's just that no company goes out and says "yay, we're screwed! Stop buying our products!" And now he acts like PS3 sales didn't increase, even though they increased dramatically. Back in 2007-2008 the gaming press also did see the bad sales, why else did they publish so many "Nintendo is doomed!" articles. But right now, they see the numbers, they see the Wii is not outselling the competition by that much anymore and they see the PS3 and Xbox360 are selling better than ever and they go: "This time the Wii is really doomed!" And this time they really think they're right - two years ago it was just wishful thinking.

6. My point is: I think Malstrom was two years too early. Now is the time people really don't see it happening. They won't see it until all of a sudden Nintendo releases the 3DS and people are like "Hey wait. There's something wrong here..." They were so scared Nintendo would "move upmarket" with the Wii and now they feel so reliefed because Nintendo hasn't. And when the 3DS releases eeryone will go "Woah! Where did that one come from?"

7. I really hope Nintendo is going for that direction. And I really hope Sony will realize it early. That would be the best business fight ever.

Actually Toyota and Ferrari are really in favour of my argument, they both build car, both using high-tech, and Toyota has also some high performance models, but their values and markets couldn't be more different and less interchangeable. But I agree on your points 1, 2, 3 and 5, and about 4 too in part, here my point was more about Malstrom suddenly switching from saying price cuts are some rotten filth to praising the Wii's one as a mighty weapon against Sony.

Sony must react, but it's still too early to say it's doing it in the wrong way, the short term situation is that PS3 demand is even occasionally causing shortages, for the middle and long term we still have to see how good or bad Move and its games will actually be and we don't know anything about PS4. And we don't know very much about 3DS either. We know that 3DS disrupting Sony portables, home consoles and 3DTVs all at once is most probably just Malstrom's wet dream, but we can also imagine that early 3DTV attempts will range from barely meh to failure (so the worst enemy for Sony could be its own eccessive ambition and greed about its 1st gen 3DTV). And there is another important thing: being disruptive with Wii doesn't guarantee Nintendo it will be with its next products too, you can't just say "I'll be disruptive" and become so, what's worse, after two products so incredibly successful as Wii and DS, it can be a problem to ask oneself "what next"? Wii and DS success, in the worst case, could be the one true ring that corrupts top execs and shareholders and makes them become conservative and incumbent.

Anyhow, we can also imagine that Nintendo will do its best with 3DS and Wii2 and that Sony knows it and that it learned that making a new console that's basically just more powerful and better equipped than the previous one doesn't work anymore. So about point 6 and all in the other points about what Nintendo and Sony will do beyond the very short term, there are still a lot of unknown things, we know they'll both try hard, we don't know whether they'll succeed. And then there is MS. Three big players make a game more complex than a simple clash between two giants.

And then there are 3rd party developers: they could love one thing about Move and Natal, not having to compete with Nintendo, so they could help them.

About point 7, totally agree, it would be not only interesting to see, but the best we can hope for as gamers.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!