By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 100$ HD-DVD Players

This might be old news, but did anyone notice Circuit City is selling six HDDVD titles for $13.99? I wonder if this is online sales only? Between them and Walmart, I may have to go out on a shopping spree today for cheap HDDVDs!

Around the Network
Untamoi said:
Now one more thing about 1080i vs 1080p vs 720p issue... Some LCD- and plasma-sets are marketed as 1080i. This is wrong marketing because ALL LCD's / plasmas are always progressive by nature. Most sets which are marketed as 1080i/720p are actually 720p but they downscale 1080i to 720p. So actually 720p signal looks better than 1080i with these sets.

Of course there are many real 1080i sets but those are mostly CRT sets (at least not CRT/plasma).

Could you possibly give us an example of what you are trying to say -- i.e. a specific model of set and it's resolution?  (ignore CRTs because no-one is selling them any more).

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Microsoft has to care about formats. Sony raised the bar, and next generation Microsoft will need to incorporate a next generation player into their system. The format war has a real physical impact on their console business. Which is preferable paying your rival to use their technology, or pay Toshiba for their technology. You even get the added bonus that Toshiba competes with Sony on other fronts.

Does Microsoft love the idea of consumers downloading games, and movies. Well yes they do that is a revenue stream. However that does not mean they are ignorant to the fact that the overwhelming majority of consumers prefer physical media. They like holding a game in their hand, and even after the technology arrives for consumers to burn their downloaded games to disc arrives. You still have the issue of stand alone consoles. Not every console owner is going to get online.

Physical retailers love the idea of online business. After all the overhead is lower, and they can sell to consumers bypassing taxes. Which means more money for them. That said these retailers are not going to close down their physical locations. The same way the Next Microsoft console will still need a physical player. Microsoft has no choice but to be interested, and frankly I am shocked Nintendo is not getting interested. They will probably need a next generation player in their next console.

theshoe23 said:
I have a PS3 and several BR movies. Tonight I bought an A2 HD-DVD player and the Transformers HD-DVD. The quality is excellent. I only have a 1080i tv so I don't care. I was sick of seeing movies I couldn't watch because I only had a Blu-ray player. I REALLY want this war to end with either outcome. I'm in a situation where I can't have optical audio on my HD-DVD player, my 360 AND my PS3. I really would like one player for everything but I don't have 999 dollars. But for $135 I got a movie AND a player. Also, I will note that in my town of about 28,000 people there were 15 players on the shelves at 7 pm tonight and now there are 13. If this fire-sale is working its not working very well at least here. I looked at it this way I was damned if I do damned if I don't and its $100 dollars. Granted $100 is alot, but the other alternative (the 360 add-on) was even more expensive. Also if BR wins then its a decent up-converting DVD player for my parents. End this war now!

I have this, but in black: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pelican-Video-System-Selector_W0QQitemZ220166385720QQihZ012QQcategoryZ73390QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've had it for years - and it works GREAT. I am actually looking for upgrade - I want 4 optical inputs and this only has 3. There are cheaper alternatives, but this has worked great.

I would also recommend getting a digital one with a remote. In a pinch, though, you can't beat a system selector/switch. 

Dodece said:
frankly I am shocked Nintendo is not getting interested. They will probably need a next generation player in their next console.

If Nintendo were going to choose one of either formats it would be HD-DVD for the simple fact it is cheaper. Also Nintendo next gen console probably wouldn't need that much space either because I doubt Nintendo will use 1080p or TrueHD audio (I still don't know why nintendo didn't use Dolby Pro Logic IIx for the wii).  The most likely scenario is that Nintendo will use some weird format like a modified version of HD-DVD so they don't have to pay royalties or they might use some sort of multi-layered DVD.

Also anyone know if they dropped the price of the XBOX hd-dvd. I wasn't going to buy one because it was too expensive and because I thought Blu-ray was going to win but if its under 99$ Ill buy it since its such a small risk.

Around the Network

There's no dropping the price on the HD DVD. Microsoft said the attach rate was low anyhow. I did pick up an A2 HD DVD player and two free HD DVD movies, but I am still gonna keep my HD DVD 360 add-on, even though the standalone player is better ...

Cool. I'm going to hold off until Warner Bros. stops fence sitting though. Then is when I think we'll have a definitive idea of who will come out on top.

edit: I'm gonna go compare 1080p vs. 1080i trailers on the PS3. I don't think I've ever used 1080i for movies with my current display.

edit #2: I watched the Close Encounters of the Third Kind trailer (great movie) - there was no discernable difference between 1080i and 1080p, aside from the fact that I actually had some tearing at one instant with 1080p. There is most definitely a difference in the dashboard and when things are going at 60fps, but not so much with movies.

I may buy this thing when I have the money just to watch Serenity in high definition again. 

I grabbed one of these for $98 this weekend. It was a *really* sweet deal considering that:

(1) It's a high end upscaling DVD player and
(2) It has better audio components for people with non-HDMI receivers than the A3.
(3) Netflix = HD-DVD haven.

You can tell that this model was intended to be sold with an MSRP of $500. The target MSRP of $200 for the HD-A3 model is why they had to cost-cut some of the nice audio components (doesn't matter if you use HDMI, but I use optical).

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9519

Best Buy Replaces Backordered $99 Toshiba HD-A2s with HD-A3s

Best Buy brings Christmas early to some customers

Best Buy often gets a reputation of not having the best customer service and looking down on "devil customers" who only come to Best Buy locations to score hot deals.

Over the past few years, Best Buy has done much to better its image. The store ditched mail-in rebates which many customers complained about -- all Best Buy merchandise now carries instant savings instead.

Best Buy's latest move, however, may be one of the best yet for "devil customers."
It was reported yesterday on DailyTech that Wal-Mart would have the Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player on sale for $98.97 Friday morning. Best Buy followed suit by offering the HD-A2 online and in-store for $99.99.

As one might imagine, Best Buy stores were quickly depleted of stock and BestBuy.com was hammered with excess orders. Although some orders were able to get through, an overwhelming majority of customers who purchased HD-A2s from BestBuy.com received backorder notices.

Given that the HD-A2 is now discontinued, one would have expected that Best Buy would just cancel all of the orders and be done with it -- but you would be wrong. Best Buy instead is replacing all backordered HD-A2 players with the new third-generation HD-A3 which retails for $299.99.

A letter sent to Toshiba HD-A2 customers reads as follows:
Dear Valued Best Buy Customer,

You are receiving this email because you recently ordered a Toshiba HD DVD Player (model # HD-A2) from www.bestbuy.com and your order was placed in a backorder status while we awaited additional inventory. Unfortunately, the manufacturer has discontinued this item and we are not anticipating receiving any more inventory.

Because we value your business, we will be fulfilling your order with the next generation Toshiba HD DVD Player (model # HD-A3) that is replacing the HD-A2 in Toshiba's lineup of HD DVD Players. There is no need for you to do anything to receive this upgraded model. We will simply fulfill your original order and your packing slip will be updated to show you received the HD-A3 and serve as your order receipt.

If you are not interested in receiving the Toshiba HD-A3 as a replacement for the discontinued HD-A2, you may return the unopened item to your nearest Best Buy store or simply contact one of our Customer Service Representatives at (888)-BestBuy for more information about how to return the product for a complete refund.

Please accept our apology for any inconvenience. We look forward to your next visit to Best Buy.

Sincerely,
Best Buy Customer Care

Those persons who were sad to get a backorders notice should be delighted that they will be receiving a brand new third-generation unit instead.

The excitement should build even further considering that all third-generation Toshiba HD DVD player (including the HD-A3) come bundled with "300" and "The Bourne Identity” in addition to the five free movies that can be had after a mail-in rebate [PDF].

Cue angry Best Buy customers who bought an A2 and received an A2, bitching about how they didn't get a free upgrade in 3... 2... 1...