By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 100$ HD-DVD Players

Some more news on the sales of the HD-DVD players.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Best_Buy/Wal-Mart/High-Def_Retailing/Toshiba/Report:_Weekend_Toshiba_HD_DVD_Player_Sales_Top_90,000/1150

Report: Weekend Toshiba HD DVD Player Sales Top 90,000
Wed Nov 07, 2007 at 09:00 AM ET
Tags: Toshiba, High-Def Retailing, Wal-Mart, Best Buy (all tags)

Video Business is reporting record-breaking sales numbers for Toshiba's HD-A2 player following last Friday's price drops at Wal-Mart and Best Buy.

As we've previously reported, both big box retailers offered the entry-level 1080i HD DVD player at the record-low price of $99 late last week.
ADVERTISEMENT

Quoting sources close to the retailers, VB estimates that 90,000 units were sold at top outlets, including Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Circuit City. According to the trade paper, that's nearly as many sales as the best-selling stand-alone Blu-ray Disc player (Sony's the $499 BDP-S300) has sold since its launch.

In a separate report, BetaNews estimated that 40,000 to 70,000 of the 90,000 units were sold at Wal-Mart alone.

Toshiba and the HD DVD Promotions Group have thus far declined comment on this past weekend's sales numbers, but if these numbers are accurate, here's betting we'll see some sort of official statement in the coming days.

Around the Network

I got 2 of those 90k. One for me and one for my gf's father. Guess it goes to show that HDM is viable at reasonable prices.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Damn I wasn't able to find one but I might be able to get one when sears has their black friday sale.

I am definatley gettin and HD-DVD player come black friday, ahh the sales the sales!

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

albionus said:
At the very least this is how you have a fire sale to clear out old discontinued stock. You don't lop $100 off, introduce the new model at the old price then screw everyone who jumped at that opportunity by dropping the high end model's price $100 a month later and introduce a new gimped $200 cheaper model.

Anyhow, I probably still won't buy an HDDVD even at $100 since as far as I know the movies are still $30-40 and few rental places have them to rent. When they do something about the movie price I'll jump. I am a cheapskate on these matters, I've had the TV for 3 years now but only now got HD cable since it was just $10 or the same as getting a SD DVR I wanted.

You can get unlimited HD-DVD rentals through netflix for like $11/month, or so.  I'm using the unlimited 3-at-a-time plan for $17/month.  Also, you can find new HD-DVD movies for $15 each if you look for sales.

Even if you don't watch much HD-DVD media at first, you get a high end CD player and a high end upscaling DVD player out of this deal.  There's no way to argue that those two features alone aren't worth the price of admission.

Around the Network

More of the same from betanews.

http://www.betanews.com/article/How_HD_DVD_Got_its_Groove_Back/1194405684

"....Sales of the Toshiba HD-A3, the successor to the HD-A2, appeared to be equally brisk, with many retailers selling out of their stocks quickly after the older model became hard to find. At many locations, the newer player was selling for $199 - $100 off its original retail price.

Furthermore, sales of the HD-A2 alone over the past few days are nearly equivalent to total sales of the top Blu-ray player, Sony's BDP-S300, which has shipped 100,000 units since its introduction over the summer....

Blu-ray's Dilemma

Through these interviews, it seems clear that Sony's recent offerings of a small price cut this holiday may not be enough to counter what could be increasing momentum for HD DVD. With so many new players now in consumers' hands, it can only be expected that disc sales will increase as well.

Multiple studies show that the PlayStation 3 alone will not be enough to keep the Blu-ray format afloat. Six out of ten users aren't even aware that the device can play Blu-ray movies, and out of the remaining four, only two had actually used the player in the past month to play a disc, according to NPD Group....."

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

One thing I found out about netflix is you have to be careful when you order HD-DVD or Blu-ray movies. When you add them to your cue, they are added as DVD. I had to go manually change the disc to HD-DVD after they were put in the queue.

I was sooooo disappointed when Army of Darkness came in the mail and it was DVD!

fishyjoe, did you go into netflix account and setup your "preference"? Once you do that, if the hd dvd is available, it'll always put it in your queue as that. if you want dvd, then you go into your queue and do the dropdown to change it. :) Youll see it'll keep reminding you that hd dvds/blurays only play in their respective players, so the argument from some peopel that 2.41:1 ratio prefered HD DVD at netflix did not know what hd dvds are, isn't a viable arguement at all. :D

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Sony should kill 2 birds with one stone and sell PS3 for $99 Thanksgiving weekend... ;)

Anyone want to venture to goes how many they'd sell?

Sony should kill 2 birds with one stone and sell PS3 for $99 Thanksgiving weekend... ;)

Anyone want to venture to goes how many they'd sell?