By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 100$ HD-DVD Players

Why is it desperation for Toshiba? They are clearing out the A-2s. It's the previous gen for the A-3 player plain and simple. It's a markdown to move it out. They are selling it at a loss and you can bank on it...

That said, how is it any more of a desperation attempt on Toshiba's part than all of Sony's SKU introductions and price cuts back to back to back?

Toshiba still gets a royalty on every DVD sold... I do believe they are in a better position to fight a financial war with Sony over the next gen format but the question is are they willing to bleed as much as Sony has on the PS3 (and how much more they are given their recent announcement concerning next quarter)...

I don't give a damn which format wins, but the competition has just introduced (albeit briefly) a sub-$100 HD-DVD player. If it had been a blu-ray I would have been just as interested as would all the others that snatched up a Toshiba unit today.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
EnosStory said:
It was limited quantity, their old player that failed to sale. Toshibas attempt to counter Disnays Br releases.

desperate last ditch effert ? - http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Maybe I'm just a skeptical ass but I have a hard time reading anything written by a so-called enthusiast who mentions that the A2 "doesn't even do 1080p". This entire 1080p propoganda thing is getting out of hand. I have yet to find a real use for it unless you double your TV as a computer monitor.

Maybe when the PS4 and nextbox release, there will be a real use for it but as long as films are shot at 24fps, movies look just as good in 1080i as they do 1080p.

EXACTLY.  That is the ONLY reason I ordred a 1080P set.  I was all set to get a 42" Vizio LCD 720P/1080i set for $810 with a neighbor's employee discount....  But I wanted to use it as a computer monitor for my son's computer and Sears had a deal on an LG 1080P set for $950 so I grabbed that instead...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

The fact of the matter is there are going to be sub $200 HD-DVD players in every major retailer this holiday. It's a price point that Blu-ray players can't/won't match. Momentum has completely shifted towards HD-DVD.

FishyJoe said:
The fact of the matter is there are going to be sub $200 HD-DVD players in every major retailer this holiday. It's a price point that Blu-ray players can't/won't match. Momentum has completely shifted towards HD-DVD.

Indeed it has. It will be fun watching these two duke it out over the next 14 months as the war heats up a bit. I always said that as long as HD-DVD keeps their price under Blu-ray, they're still my favorite to win the war. If HD-DVD can get players to $100 and Blu-ray is still hovering around $250, all hell will break loose and you'll start to see studios questioning the viability of Blu-ray instead of HD-DVD.

At $100 or less, an HD-DVD player becomes a viable DVD upscaler. It also adds the benefit of watching HD-DVD movies when available. That's very attractive to consumers. I almost bought the A2 until I realized that I really don't want to be a part of this war. I don't give a rat's ass who wins because my pocketbook won't be voting any time soon but I still enjoy watching others get so riled up over shiny little coaster formats while two monolithic companies fight tooth and nail over the scraps the DVD market is currently leaving behind.

Good times.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Diomedes1976 said:
That screams desesperation .From now on they can only give them for free ...

your an idiot On topic if this is a real offer. I may just pick one up....

Around the Network
elendar said:
Diomedes1976 said:
That screams desesperation .From now on they can only give them for free ...

your an idiot On topic if this is a real offer. I may just pick one up....

While I'm not going to argue with your assessment of his statement, there is no need to start hurling personal insults at other posters.

Let's keep it civil.

FishyJoe said:

Sure it has, better proof is the fact even Transformers was not enough for hddvd to out sale Br for a week.

Are you forgetting tha since day one Br players have been almost double the price ? not that it matters, PS3 has been responcible for Br kicking the crap out of hddvd worlwide not the stand alone players.

Why don't you have a hddvd player if you think its so great ?

EnosStory said:
FishyJoe said:

Sure it has, better proof is the fact even Transformers was not enough for hddvd to out sale Br for a week.

Are you forgetting tha since day one Br players have been almost double the price ? not that it matters, PS3 has been responcible for Br kicking the crap out of hddvd worlwide not the stand alone players.

Why don't you have a hddvd player if you think its so great ?

It's not about how much of a difference there is in overall price between the formats, it's about who can hit mass-market pricing first. Right now, HD-DVD definitely has a huge advantage with players coming in at less than $200 by the end of the month vs. $400 for the PS3.

$350 vs. $500 means that very few will buy either product. $180 vs. $400 is entirely different.

Exactly, $300 or $500 is still way to expensive for most people. A $500 player can compete against a $300 player simply because people who buy at this level don't care much about the price difference.

A $300 player can't compete against a $150 player simply because average people are willing to take a chance at $150, whereas $300 is strictly for the enthusiast.

The BR camp is accusing Microsoft for fueling the format war!
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/news/html/breaking_article.cfm?sec_id=2&&article_ID=11479

Good article about the format war. There are many articles on this subject today - the war is heating up.

"Collins said Microsoft decided to join the HD DVD format two CES shows ago because the format’s replication costs were and still are the cheapest. He said there are only three plants in the world that can produce BD-50 discs, and those are all owned by Sony."

Is this quote correct? all owned by Sony? No wonder their PS3 is selling at $399, and I predict it will go to $349 or lower very very soon. Sony has too much invested in this war.